Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTA Map of Frequent Services

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

devnull wrote: »

Good to see.

Glad to see they were honest enough to keep the Cherrywood services separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Excellent map. My only (smally) gripes are that the 40/40d route at Finglas looks a bit confusing and the 11 with a 30 minute headway could hardly be considered frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Great map, well designed. However, I too am wondering what constitutes a frequent route. For example, the 1 and 37 are more frequent than the 11 but these are omitted from the map. Its similar with the Swords Express and the 41C. The 41C has a far greater timetable but this is not listed. It might be nice to have a a map of frequent routes (up to every 15 mins) and a map of all routes.

It's great to finally have an official spider map and local service map for areas like Tallaght and Swords. Well done Transport For Ireland.

One small error -
    Docklands services do not serve Drumcondra station.

• Advertisement

KD345 wrote: »
    Great map, well designed. However, I too am wondering what constitutes a frequent route. For example, the 1 and 37 are more frequent than the 11 but these are omitted from the map. Its similar with the Swords Express and the 41C. The 41C has a far greater timetable but this is not listed. It might be nice to have a a map of frequent routes (up to every 15 mins) and a map of all routes.

It's great to finally have an official spider map and local service map for areas like Tallaght and Swords. Well done Transport For Ireland.

I'd imagine a full bus map will issue in due course.

I'd add the 66/a/b to the map as a group - they're every 15 minutes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    One small error -

Also, with no trains at weekends and off peak week days you couldn't call it "frequent".

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

There appears to be no 1 or 47?

Well the 47 is hardly frequent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

One small error -

The diamond symbol after "Commuter" is probably meant to reflect that. They could have made it easier for themselves by dragging the docklands line further to the left of Drumcondra and joining it to the mainline there.

I understand the idea of including the orbital routes 17a/18, but am not sure about the 18 being under a frequent services map - it's kind of but not quite. There's a bit of space if they were to consider experimenting with putting in some symbols to give an idea of frequency.

On the area maps, in the few I've looked at, the attempt to keep some semblance of geography, coupled with the thin lines leads to a huge amount of white space. You'd need to stretch to see some of the upper stuff if it was posted at bus stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Well the 47 is hardly frequent!!

Neither is the 7 - in reality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Theres 6 routes missing from Tallaght!!! 49,54a, 65, 65b, 75 & 76

How many of those are frequent (i.e. in theory at least every 15-20 minutes)? As far as I can see, most are shown in the Tallaght local area map (bar the 65b for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The problem with only including frequent routes is that it can appear like some parts of the city don't have a frequent bus service, which isn't the case.

For example, looking at the map you'd assume there is no frequent bus route through places like Blanchardstown Village, Lucan Village and Raheny Village. However all these places have a high frequency service, it's just spread over a number of routes (38/a/39, 25,66/a/b/67 and 29a/31/a/b/32). Sandymount/Irishtown/Ringsend has an excellent frequency in the morning with the 1 and 47, but for some reason it's not included.

This map really highlights the lack of frequent orbital routes. If they're going to include the 18, they may as well throw in the 17 and 75 too.

They're not frequent routes. They are all, with the exception of the 65b, included in the Tallaght local map.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I think there are too many main routes omitted. There is no logic to including the hourly Cherrywood projection of the 7, while excluding the 1 or the 37.

Plus, to not name Ballinteer (a major bus-dependent suburb) is strange.

5/10 for a first effort, but more needed.

C635

There are a whole series of local maps now available also.

They can be found at www.transportforireland.ie/maps

Credit to the NTA for this and good to see they are using the spider maps that Dublin Bus started implementing - hopefully these will now be rolled out for the entire network and on street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Fantastic first effort from the NTA. The local maps look great too.

I think there are a few too many routes on the Frequent Services map. They should adhere to a strict 15 minute frequency for most of the. The 14 for example definitely does not fit the bill of frequent routes. I'd like to see two maps in future: the comprehensive network, and an extremely limited frequent map. The latter should really be bare bones, like the metro maps of other cities with about ten key routes. I dont think theres any shame in this. In some places like the 25a/b routes these could be combined of course.

A more restricted map would also be far more user friendly imo.

This map now also provides a visual cue to the redundancy of the system. It might make people more amenable to route amalgamations in the future. Maybe this is just wishful thinking!

The 14 is every 15 minutes in the morning and evening peaks - hence it is included as per the criteria here:

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/new-public-transport-maps-now-available-for-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Maybe their definition of frequent should be stricter then. My idea of a frequent services map would be that i could use any of the services on it from morning to early evening without a significant wait.

The frequent map has become quite popular in North America recently (LA, Vancouver, and Seattle come to mind) and they generally include the late-morning and afternoon lull in their frequency scope.

Like i said though, its a good first attempt, just that i think a more condensed map would be more user friendly.

The 14 is every 15 minutes in the morning and evening peaks - hence it is included as per the criteria here

Like Aard says, most cities call a route frequent if it's frequent most of the day, not just for two limited windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Two limited windows where 70% (at least) of passenger journeys are done?

Two limited windows where 70% (at least) of passenger journeys are done?

How useful will that map be to those people?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

markpb wrote: »
    How useful will that map be to those people?

To be honest they should be in the depots for the drivers, with all the changes many are stumped if a passengers requests anything beyond their own shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

On the blanchardstown map it lists the 270 as serving huntstown and blakestown. This is incorrect.

The west quays map lists the 70 as serving blanchardstown centre which is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looks nice, but maybe when six multicoloured routes go into one black route it should be a little more clear.

That is pretty standard format for these kind of maps what exactly would you suggest?

The key to the map does explain the black lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A little curved line to show each of the six routes going into one would be better. As it stands, several lines look like they suddenly end.

Edit: The 15b doesn't serve Terenure either. The map implies it does. It joins up at Rathgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We're being watched.

.> .>

<. <.

I'm wondering:

Key
    Bus services

* Some colour pairings are poor, e.g. 11, 25a/b
    * Aircoach on key, but not on map.

Rail services and Luas tram services
    * Is there an argument to use ordinary font for "Commuter", "DART" and "Luas" or alternatively, use the actual system logos?

* "Stop served by certain journeys only" may not be the correct description for Docklands Station - it is a peak-time only station.

Transfer Points
    * These pictograms aren't always used when there is a bus-rail transfer.
    * "COMMUTER" should not be capitalised
    * Pictogram for 'Ferry Port' is poor.

Points of Interest
    * Ensure that 'Public Park' extends only to relevant stops.
    * Add major trip generators.

The map
    * Add other operators.
    * Add outer services.
    * Routes not shown should be included, but greyed out.
    * Include the orbital routes like the 75 & 76.
    * Expand the south west quadrant, such that Tallaght is in the corner and Crumlin is given a bit more space.
    * Some rail station icons are wrong, e.g. Malahide, Portmarknock and Greystones normally give connections between commuter and DART services.
    * Killester station name is too far away.
    * Stations listed as "Heuston", "Connolly" and "Pearse", but "Grand Canal Dock Station" and "Rialto Tram Stop".
    * No cross-platform bus connections at Shankill & Bray stations.
    * The layout shown for Clontarf Road Station suggests a commuter connection.
    * Change layout of Belgard Luas stop to emphasise the regular need to change trams.
    * Red Cow Luas stop is a coach interchange point.
    * Might it be useful to include route 53/b

The Index
    * Not everywhere on the map is in the Index, e.g. Meakstown.

Spelling & Grammar (Map & Index)
    Abbey St Abbey Street
    Brehonfield Road Brehon Field Road
    Comelscourt Cornelscourt
    Inchmore Inchicore
    Limeklin Limekiln
    Lwr Abbey St Abbey Street Lower
    Miltown Milltown
    Palmerstown Wrong spelling, but in common usage
    Parkwest Park West
    Phibsboro Phibsborough
    Popintree Poppintree
    St Patricks St. Patrick's College
    Vincent’s Hospital St. Vincent's Hospital

Problematic names (Map & Index)
    Baggot Street (Grand Canal) ...
    Longmile Longmile Road
    Mobhi Mobhi Road
    Oldorchard Possibly spurious name or Marian Park
    Plunkett Plunkett Road (?)
    Pearse Pearse Street (Sallynoggin)

Local maps
    Include railways
    Do they include every route in the locality?

If we are actually being watched...

- Add the 66 clutch of routes - they have an effective 15 minute frequency and only branch close to their outer ends.
    - Overlay street names on the shared black routes in the city centre wherever possible, to give a better idea of where exactly these routes run. Where routes run by different streets depending on the direction but share a single black route on the map, delineate with arrows, e.g. <- Pearse St./Townsend St. ->
    - It would be great if there was an idea of the frequencies for each route given (although without resorting to some gigantic table at the bottom). Then if the other orbital routes were included and the title of the map changed from "Frequent" to "Core", the map would give a better idea of the overall service available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thomasj wrote: »
    On the blanchardstown map it lists the 270 as serving huntstown and blakestown. This is incorrect.
    You can walk from Bramblefield Court in Little Pace to Huntstown Wood.
    noelfirl wrote: »
    - It would be great if there was an idea of the frequencies for each route given (although without resorting to some gigantic table at the bottom). Then if the other orbital routes were included and the title of the map changed from "Frequent" to "Core", the map would give a better idea of the overall service available.

It could be put on the right hand side, as part of the Key.

Advertisement