Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best of 2012

Options
  • 18-12-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

About this time of year someone starts the best of thread. So here goes.

Your nominations for the Best of 2012:
    * Best Irish Race
    * Best Performance by a Boardsie
    * Best post
    * Best poster

Any other categories? How to do voting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good idea!

Best training log!
    Best Race Report!
    Best Race Report posted in less than 3 month instalments :p

I think in the athletics we used to email a mod and then he would create a vote on the 4 or 5 most popular topics

We would need all the boardies to contribute here or it will just be the 4 or 5 who bothered to vote will come up with the selection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Raycun sorted this on the dark side.

Think he got the nominations for each category, then made a new thread on each category with a poll to include each nominee. Nominations were AFAIK made by PM to him or other mods.

Also strict rules on PMA with no negative slagging of others nominations.

He's had practise so wonder if he'd oblige again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If people vote a shortlist here I will get polls put together for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

mloc123 wrote: »
    If people vote a shortlist here I will get polls put together for each.

So we just use this thread to nominate what we want, and you mods will make polls of (say) the top five or so from each category? (tunney any chance you can edit the title, to "Best of 2012"?)

My two cents

*Best Irish Race
    Bunclody Sprint Tri (ok the winner might be an overall better race, but if price, effort from the hosting club, route, etc, are taken in to account, this one punched well above it's weight).

* Best Performance by a Boardsie
    Abhainn Challenge Barcalona 10:08

* Best poster
    shotgunmcos

* Best post
    interested swim advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best Race Report - RedB's Austrian adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

best boardie performace BMC Irish olympic champ and lanza IM race which was defo the best irish IM debut ever if notthe best irish race where I gues he would have a challenge with allan ryan but he is not a boardie i guess.
    littlemisfrickle Nat series winner.
    Unlike Bmc who would have to be challenged by huff and puffs hell of the west race and kenmanre performacnes littlemissfrickle dosnt soeem to have a challenger on boards.

product of the year 2012 has to go to garmin for its 910 fu

best poster huff n puff.

best posts by ZUPPY got some really good papers out of that

best irish race Kilkee

Yeah, if people post their nominations here I will whittle them down to a short list of say 5 and setup a poll for each topic.

Closing date for nominations? Say December 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Should the nominations not be pm'd to mloc, I would hate Redb to know that I nominated him for best race report, that should be my little secret :D

Might create a little more suspense as well - when the nominations are revealed - then everyone can vote

PM away, I'll tally them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

T/D/AR is a small enough community. Genuine question; what makes someone a boardsie? Is an occasional post here and there enough to qualify?
    Whether it be that they've made a certain number of posts throughout the year, that they've kept a training log, or they've taken part in the SBR Challenge, but I think there should be some criteria in place so that it's not open to all and sundry.
    Plus I think to compare the performances of regular posters here against those of a professional is a bit unfair.

With all the greatest respect to everybody mentioned already (for what were excellent performances), but out of the members I would consider 'boardsies', Fazz's race in Galway is the standout performance of the year. His ambition was to qualify for a world championships, which he did in some style. How many others on here can say that?

• Advertisement

zico what makes an profesional that works full time, runs his own business and has 2 kids different to normal boardies ( apart from the fact that he trains hard while the others post hard ;-)

I assumed it was registered boardies that have posted this year.

totally agree with most improved athlete of the year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can we have a vote for most argumentative? I have a few nominations.

Oryx wrote: »
    Can we have a vote for most argumentative? I have a few nominations.
    i agree zico is very arugmentative ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Can we have a "most like Brett Sutton" category? :)

peter kern wrote: »
    zico what makes an profesional that works full time, runs his own business and has 2 kids different to normal boardies ( apart from the fact that he trains hard while the others post hard ;-)

I assumed it was registered boardies that have posted this year.

totally agree with most improved athlete of the year.

First off, I have the utmost respect for anybody who decides to turn professional. I'm sure it's an extremely difficult decision, and probably comes at a financial cost to 90% of the people who decide to turn pro. I'm not sure if you are referring to someone in particular here, but even if you are my point still stands. Regardless of one's individual circumstances, pros and age groupers are not the same.

I doubt any pro(or amateur for that matter) is going to be fretting too much about missing out on the boards performance of the year award, but just to back up my point;

Why wasn't I allowed start in the pros' wave in the last race that I did? (I don't for one second think I'd have stuck with them for any length of the swim, but it would have been nice not to have had to fight for space with hundreds of other swimmers.)

Also why aren't professionals allowed claim AG entry slots for Kona or Vegas?

I'm clearly not the only one who sees a difference here Peter.

i agree zico is very arugmentative ;-)

Oh no I'm not.

And I was about to nominate you for poster of the year until I saw that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

zico10 wrote: »
    Oh no I'm not.

And I was about to nominate you for poster of the year until I saw that.

I was going to vote for him on another award.

First off, I have the utmost respect for anybody who decides to turn professional. I'm sure it's an extremely difficult decision, and probably comes at a financial cost to 90% of the people who decide to turn pro. I'm not sure if you are referring to someone in particular here, but even if you are my point still stands. Regardless of one's individual circumstances, pros and age groupers are not the same.

I doubt any pro(or amateur for that matter) is going to be fretting too much about missing out on the boards performance of the year award, but just to back up my point;

Why wasn't I allowed start in the pros' wave in the last race that I did? (I don't for one second think I'd have stuck with them for any length of the swim, but it would have been nice not to have had to fight for space with hundreds of other swimmers.)

Also why aren't professionals allowed claim AG entry slots for Kona or Vegas?

I'm clearly not the only one who sees a difference here Peter.

Also why are High Performance (and Developmental) squads members excluded from the NS. (I actually would have extended to to all PRO card carriers)

what you maybe dont know is that about quite a few pros work full full time and that some top amateurs in kona train almost full time.
    so outside the guys that have a chance to finish top 15 maybe top 25 in kona there is really not that much difference between a pro and top class amateur.
    I could name you a few guys that say i dont turn pro because i get more sponsorship as an amateur while they work less than part time

its a grey area as pro in tirahtlon means really F..k all ( the only real bonus to race pro is to be able to enter races when you want. but you tend to get a better sponsorship to race as an amateur in kona than being a pro that dosnt feature ....

but yes agreed and i dont think anybody good in what they do would care much for a boardie award.

who won the TI award for best triathlete this year;-)

who won the TI award for best triathlete this year;-)

No idea - someone you coach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So are we considering anyone that has ever posted on here or regular contributors for the awards?

Personally I think HuffnPuff scaring the sh1t outta Bryan Keane in Kilkee was my performance of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

New category: Boardsie most likely to highjack a thread to blow their own trumpet / talk ****e / tell us all how good they are / etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

griffin100 wrote: »
    New category: Boardsie most likely to highjack a thread to blow their own trumpet / talk ****e / tell us all how good they are / etc.

Well I think there should be an award for the female who won her first mini-adventure race this year :D

Just saying like...

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Well I think there should be an award for the female who won her first mini-adventure race this year :D

Just saying like...

some people try to improve others try to find fault with others to make themselves feel better. to win a mini tri often is a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

some people try to improve others try to find fault with others to make themselves feel better. to win a mini tri often is a step in the right direction.

I was joking peter- shamlessley promoting myself :D My win in Milstreet last April was my one and probably only win ever. I'll milk it at any every opportunity:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ceepo

tunney wrote: »
    Also why are High Performance (and Developmental) squads members excluded from the NS. (I actually would have extended to to all PRO card carriers)

They are not excluded from NS

Get your nominations in for tomorrow by 6pm, if I am sober I will tally them and get polls setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mloc123 wrote: »
    Get your nominations in for tomorrow by 6pm, if I am sober I will tally them and get polls setup.

Is there a definitive list of categories?? This threads a little all over the place!!

BTH wrote: »
    Is there a definitive list of categories?? This threads a little all over the place!!

You're the mod, you tell us!

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »

Everyone stuck to the list in the original post, so I went with that...

Advertisement