Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barefeet?

• 17-12-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

So lately in my local gym I've been seeing quiet a few people doing dead lifts and squats in there socks/bare feet. I just want to know why? Is there a benefit or whats the idea behind it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

So lately in my local gym I've been seeing quiet a few people doing dead lifts and squats in there socks/bare feet. I just want to know why? Is there a benefit or whats the idea behind it?

I may be wrong but you know 100% that your feet stay flat on the ground while doing them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The foam cushioning in sports shoes really ain't the best for providing a stable base to pick heavy **** up from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Odd, I've always thought my Puma's were pretty much dead flat. I'll give it a lash when leg day comes around again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Odd, I've always thought my Puma's were pretty much dead flat. I'll give it a lash when leg day comes around again.

They might be flat but it depends on how soft the soles are. Are they nice and hard and dont really compress much so you have a nice stable base like Hanley mentioned or do they get compressed a lot and create movement in your feet, ankles and up along.

I'll show you my shoes that I generally train in;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9w49qLxJ6lCR5skPxCTLTA6XP_-q1hN_dlBgtB7DA2x3TjPQrSA

Sole pretty much molds around your foot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I used to train in something like them and found them fine. Another option to consider is the fake converse you can get in Dunnes or Pennys. They're what I use now and I find them perfect.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I used to train in something like them and found them fine. Another option to consider is the fake converse you can get in Dunnes or Pennys. They're what I use now and I find them perfect.

For some reason or another I was considering those too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

For some reason or another I was considering those too!

I honestly couldn't recommend them more. They're only a few euro, they last for ages and they were exactly what I wanted for the lifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Less travel and more stability for deads. More stability for squats too IMO. Plus
    trainers really aren't suitable for squats. Weightlifting shoes, work boots or socks FTW.

squod wrote: »
    Less travel and more stability for deads. More stability for squats too IMO. Plus
    trainers really aren't suitable for squats. Weightlifting shoes, work boots or socks FTW.

So I'm presuming more stability, more stability equals better form and eventually better gains?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So I'm presuming more stability, more stability equals better form and eventually better gains?

Less chance of injury.

I had a runner blow out while doing a 160 kilo squat. For a second I lose stability and panicked.

Less chance of injury.

I had a runner blow out while doing a 160 kilo squat. For a second I lose stability and panicked.

What happened the runner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What happened the runner?

Sole on right foot compressed and glue came away so it was like my foot slipped in the runner. After that I bought a pair of Addidas Power Perfects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wear pumas a lot generally. Those kind are decent for training, better than running shoes, trainers. The sole is thin and dense.
    I squat in lifting shoes now.
    Deadlift in socks.

Any link to a decent pair of lifting shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Any link to a decent pair of lifting shoes?

Thread next door in the strength forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056829597

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Converse are flat aren't they? I've seen a few people lifting wearing them.

Converse are flat aren't they? I've seen a few people lifting wearing them.

Converse are alright yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't think I could do it. I refuse to wear any clothes I wear to the gym outside of the gym and I just love my converse too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I don't think I could do it. I refuse to wear any clothes I wear to the gym outside of the gym and I just love my converse too much.

You can get cheapo variations from Dunnes or Penneys or lifting shoes.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »

Cheers Squod.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I had a pair of "converse" I bought on eBay for €9 I used solely for squatting. I prefer that to bare foot.

Deadlift in socks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

In theory, should you be able to DL or squat slightly more in socks/barefoot than you would in a regular pair of 'runners'?

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    In theory, should you be able to DL or squat slightly more in socks/barefoot than you would in a regular pair of 'runners'?

In theory, yup.

BUT if ankle mobility is a serious issue, the raised heels on normal trainers may make the squats easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kedrek1

Advertisement