Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly pregnant - questions on hospital choice, care level and cost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

happydayz8 wrote: »
    its not Domino. Its the midwife led care. So instead of meeting a consultant I'll be meeting a Midwife from a team and they will be my support in labour. I will not need to see a doctor unless required.
    Well I know there is some legislation which states that you have to be registered a as private patient from the outset for a private room (barring complications etc...). From my reading at the time all the midwife led options were public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As far as I know you can't mix public care with private rooms. I'm not sure about semi private.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

I think you're right. Seems like such a waste of insurance (employer pays) if I can't even take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

We have gone private a number of times. We had complications. My wife would not be alive today if it wasn't for the relationship that we built up with our consultant. All the staff we have ever dealt with have been amazing. We have been lucky in that we always got a private room. But yes, it was lucky. I think the difference for us between going private and public is that when you go private you see your consultant. If you go public you might see the consultant, or one of his/her team.

Best of luck and congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

As far as I know you can't mix public care with private rooms. I'm not sure about semi private.

My wife went semi-private in Holles St. (birth in 2010) with midwife led. Only saw a doctor on her first appointment where the consultant signed her off for the midwife led approach.

As there were no complications and the birth was straightforward a doctor was not needed in Holles St. at any stage.

Couldn't fault the standard of care from all concerned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement