Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lubuntu 12.10 usb Wireless not connecting -how do I change driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you any links on how to do this?

Yep. Here's my thread.
    Also is there a way to test it will work in the future, without having to wait & see.

Ah it just works. It worked for me on the first kernel upgrade. I wouldn't bother going through all of that hassle tbh. You could do it, then wait for a kernel upgrade before doing it for others.
    Are there any other similar issues I should be looking for due to these updates?

Kernel modules are about the height of it really. If you use repository drivers it's never an issue.
    I read that the new kernel will have new drivers. I am now wondering if there might have been a new rtl8192cu driver which might have worked, but may have been blacklisted.

That's a possibility. You could easily test it by doing:

sudo rmmod 8192cu
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu

and seeing if your wifi connects. You might have to disable wifi to allow that rmmod to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Khannie wrote: »
    Ah it just works. It worked for me on the first kernel upgrade.
    Grand I think I will do it and see, cheers for the link. Thinking about it now the people I plan on doing it for all have at least one other device in the house with internet connection anyways.
    Khannie wrote: »
    That's a possibility. You could easily test it by doing:

sudo rmmod 8192cu
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    I will try that one.

Advertisement