Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties is discriminating against atheists

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

iguana wrote: »
    I emailed them two days ago to ask about this, explaining that I wasn't anything to do with AI but as a non-religious person was curious if the discrimination faced by people like us was something they planned on addressing. They emailed me back today to say they had sent Michael a letter outlining the inaccuracies in his blog post. Which in no way at all addressed my query. I'd previously admired the ICCL but this has left me very unimpressed.
    The ICCL is repeatedly responding to members of the public asking them about this by telling them that the ICCL has sent a detailed 5-page letter to Atheist Ireland about the issue.

Here is the letter that they are referring to, which we received on 13 December, together with comments by Atheist Ireland.

The letter from the Irish Council for Civil Liberties to Atheist Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

obviously the iccl is general operating with good intentions and probably dealing with people daily much worse off then us, but even those kinda of groups can get settle in a rut of speaking to the same pillars of society everytime, catholicism is so pervasive in ireland its hard for some to see the discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

The ICCL does not have, and never will have "an unconscious bias against atheists"

How can they make this statement ? :confused:
    By definition, you can't know you have an unconscious bias until you undergo some process that makes it ... conscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I am surprised at the wide variation between the AI version of events and the ICCl version as described in the 5 page letter (with added comments)
    Given that these are legal people, you would expect them to be accurate in the detail.
    But the other hand, the really characteristic thing about anything I have seen written by Michael Nugent, is that it has always been concise and forensically accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

To be honest I just dont see the point in AI continuing to try and open communication with a group who have publicly supported continued discrimination. Just put them in the same bracket as any other group who opposes equality. I was just reading a piece a couple of days ago and it gave quotes from an ICCL rep and I just did a quick scan over it because I have little time for them now they've shown their true colours. They may not be as nutty as Quinn etc. but that just means it might take a little longer to see their flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It looks like that letter was simply written in response to online feedback they had received since this thread was started, it didn't actually address any of the original concerns.

Advertisement