Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still no alternative to the original desire?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I think the problem is if you tried to put Nexus4/S3 specs in a phone with a screen size of about 4", wanted to keep it very slim AND give it decent battery life, it wouldn't be possible. Otherwise at this stage, some manufacturer would have filled that niche in the market..

Thats pretty much what the razr i is to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vote for the Motorola Razr 1. My Gf got one 2 weeks ago and its great. Lovely screen, Nice shape and size in the hand and its superbly fast. I would definitely recommend it has a replacement to the Desire. She replaced her Desire with it also as she was sick of the memory problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just looking at the S3 mini again and comparing it to the requirements I posted in the OP and it seems to fit what I want other than the optical trackpad, but I'm not sure there'll ever be another phone with that, unfortunately. Also the camera isn't better but it does have the front facing camera. Has nice internal storage with removable storage too and size wise is pretty much on par with the Desire. So it seems to pretty much fit the bill of what I was after initially... but... it just doesn't seem good enough to bother to upgrade to and the only real attraction is the extra internal memory really.. It is however great to see a big fuss being created about a smaller phone, so hopefully we'll be seeing more, higher spec ones soon?

The Razr i looks decent enough, just comparing the 3 here:
    http://smartphones.techcrunch.com/compare/35-376-390/HTC-Desire-vs-Motorola-RAZR-i-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Mini

I guess the lack of:

Gyroscope
    FM Receiver
    Graphics Accelerator
    Additional Display Support

The fact it's Single core and doesn't support microSDHC makes me think maybe I should just keep waiting for the ultimate mini phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4003728/htc-one-launch-announcement

The new HTC One X replacement was just announced, they may follow up with a One S sized device this year.

I saw that about the one, I might be better off just waiting a little again I guess. Certainly attached to that desire, or just not liking the idea of bothering with an upgrade! Was there a mini version of the One X?

• Advertisement

So after having continuous issues with the desire, regardless of what ROM I've used (random in pocket shut downs being prevalent on all roms I've tried) I think I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade. It seems like the Razr I will probably be the best option for now, but are these lacking features...
    cormie wrote: »
    The Razr i looks decent enough, just comparing the 3 here:
    http://smartphones.techcrunch.com/compare/35-376-390/HTC-Desire-vs-Motorola-RAZR-i-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Mini

I guess the lack of:

Gyroscope
    FM Receiver
    Graphics Accelerator
    Additional Display Support

The fact it's Single core and doesn't support microSDHC makes me think maybe I should just keep waiting for the ultimate mini phone...

Enough that I should just keep waiting for a better phone or would I not notice anything negative coming from such an old phone as the desire I wonder?

EDIT: I see there's an S4 mini on the horizon: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_mini_live_photos_appear_packs_dualcore_cpu-news-5750.php

specs seem a bit underwhelming compared to the S4, but how would they compare to the Razr I, I wonder? Worth waiting for? They've made the "mini" even bigger now with a 4.3" screen so maybe there's even better alternatives at this size, or maybe I should just go with the Razr I, doesn't look like Vodafone stock the Razr I at all which is a pain..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cormie wrote: »
    So after having continuous issues with the desire, regardless of what ROM I've used (random in pocket shut downs being prevalent on all roms I've tried) I think I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade. It seems like the Razr I will probably be the best option for now, but are these lacking features...

Enough that I should just keep waiting for a better phone or would I not notice anything negative coming from such an old phone as the desire I wonder?

EDIT: I see there's an S4 mini on the horizon: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_mini_live_photos_appear_packs_dualcore_cpu-news-5750.php

specs seem a bit underwhelming compared to the S4, but how would they compare to the Razr I, I wonder? Worth waiting for? They've made the "mini" even bigger now with a 4.3" screen so maybe there's even better alternatives at this size, or maybe I should just go with the Razr I, doesn't look like Vodafone stock the Razr I at all which is a pain..

There's a few Razr-i for sale sim free on adverts...

Thanks, I'd rather get one heavily subsidised if possible as I'm seen by the mobile co's as a "business" user and worth holding on to :P If I can get an iphone, sell that on and get a razr with some change left over I might be ok though :)

Any idea on the bold points I highlighted and how these may affect the quality of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Why hasn't anyone suggested the Desire s hahahaha

Advertisement