Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking Database and HTML Search page

Options
  • 11-12-2012 12:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37

Hi,

My name is Aaron Boyse and my problem is that I have to link three databases with a HTML Search form.

I've the HTML part all set up it's just the PHP side that is bugging me.

I was wondering does anyone know the PHP Code to do this and is it hard to setup.

Regards,

Aaron Boyse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Have a read through of the following it should give you some pointers.

Come back to us if you have any questions!

http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/php-mysql/display_table_data.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aaronboyse1990

No no no I'm not looking for it to be run on a server. I'm just looking for PHP Code or any type of code that will Link three Databases to a HTML Search engine.

No no no I'm not looking for it to be run on a server. I'm just looking for PHP Code or any type of code that will Link three Databases to a HTML Search engine.

PHP code needs to be installed on the server, It is a server side language.

Is there not any type of code xml for example that can easily link Databases and html

Is there not any type of code xml for example that can easily link Databases and html

You can transform XML into HTML using XSL. I don't understand what you mean by "link databases". Could you give us an example of how you see it working. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I'm doing this for 1916, 1922 and 1798 Databases for Enniscorthy Castle and I want to make them searchable through a HTML form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'm doing this for 1916, 1922 and 1798 Databases for Enniscorthy Castle and I want to make them searchable through a HTML form.

You are really going to need to provide some detail for anyone to be able to offer any assistance. The database schema would be a good start.

At the minute I'm using Microsoft Access 2003 to create the three Databases and I'm hoping to Link the 1916 and 1922 Databases together through SQL or manually. Then, I'm hoping to link all three Databases to a HTML search engine file that can search through all of the three Databases.

That is where I'm getting caught. The HTML File is setup but just the connection to the Databases isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is this for the public or yourself?

PHP is the code that "can easily link Databases and html". PHP runs on a server. The link provided in post two is as good as any to get you started

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

It's for myself and the Staff of Enniscorthy Castle at the mo, but it will eventually be for the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

First of all you will need a server that is accessible by the public to allow the public to view your html pages (maybe by going to www.enniscorthycastle.ie).

HTML is a client side language which runs on the clients (publics) browser.

You can create a search page in HTML but when the user clicks submit/search it will send the data back to the server where a server side component(php, asp.net etc) which take the data and connect to the database which resides on the server (or a different server).

Once the server side has obtained the required date it generates a response to the client which then displays the data.

You will need a server and a server side language.

You also need to worry about securing the server, the database, controlling access stopping hack attacks etc.

Btw MS Access is not a good database be using for this.

Better off looking at SQL Server Express.

At the minute I'm using Microsoft Access 2003 to create the three Databases and I'm hoping to Link the 1916 and 1922 Databases together through SQL or manually. Then, I'm hoping to link all three Databases to a HTML search engine file that can search through all of the three Databases.

That is where I'm getting caught. The HTML File is setup but just the connection to the Databases isn't there.

And by databases, do you really mean tables of data?

TonyStark wrote: »
    And by databases, do you really mean tables of data?

I think that's a reasonable assumption :)

ChRoMe yes i do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HTML is a markup language. Markup languages cannot connect to a database.

As others have told you, you need something to connect HTML to the database, PHP is one such language.

Irrespective of whether you put PHP on a server or your desktop, I think you need to get a better understanding of what you are trying to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In all honesty your best approach given your understanding of the subject, with no offense intended, would be to consult a professional.

dahamsta wrote: »
    In all honesty your best approach given your understanding of the subject, with no offense intended, would be to consult a professional.

+++++++++

Advertisement