Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Census

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭

Here are some of the main findings so far:

• Christians down 13 percentage points to 59%.

• Respondents with no religion up 10 points to 25%.

• White ethnic group down five points to 86%.

• Whites in London 59.8%.

• One in three Londoners born in foreign country.

• Muslim population up from 3% to 5%.

Humanist response
    The British Humanist Association, which led a campaign to encourage non-religious people to tick the "no religion" box on the census last year, has called the drop in Christians and rise in non-religious "a really significant shift". The BHA's chief executive, Andrew Copson, said:

In spite of a biased question that positively encourages religious responses, to see such an increase in the non-religious and such a decrease in those reporting themselves as Christian is astounding. Of course these figures still exaggerate the number of Christians overall – the number of believing, practising Christians is much lower than this and the number of those leading their lives with no reference to religion much higher.

(The question was "What is your religion?")

Copson added:

Religious practice, identity, belonging and belief are all in decline in this country, and non-religious identities are on the rise. It is time that public policy caught up with this mass turning away from religious identities and stopped privileging religious bodies with ever increasing numbers of state-funded religious schools and other faith-based initiatives. They are decreasingly relevant to British life and identity and governments should catch up and accept that fact.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2012/dec/11/census-data-released-live-coverage

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The North seems to be the anomaly here, as per this IT article today.

Of course in Norn Iron people have a reason to identify with one religion or another, as it's the general identifier for which side of the fence you stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

http://www.ninis2.nisra.gov.uk/public/pivotgrid.aspx?dataSetVars=ds-2303-lh-37-yn-2011-

NI results here.

The wording of the columns irks me: "Religion or Religion brought up in":mad:

I was brought up Protestant and answered the second question on current religion as "No Religion", i'm atheist, but of course atheism isn't a religion and I had my pedant hat on.

Which column do you think my stats were counted in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nitpick: the figures given relate to data for England and Wales, not for Britain. I don't know if the corresponding Scottish figures have been published yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Penn wrote: »

• One in three Londoners born in foreign country.

That one jumped out at me more than any of the other findings.

I'm not sure I trust it, though I have yet to read the census.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I didn't realise it was as close as that in the North.
    45% Catholic upbringing
    48% Protestant upbringing
    It's only a matter of time before Catholics/Nationalists are in the majority.
    How soon do you reckon???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Penn wrote: »
    Christians down 13 percentage points to 59%.
    We've got a lot of "Christians" who don't go to church.

My husband really wanted to put "Jedi" down but, as it was down to me to fill the forms in, I refused. I mean, I love him and everything, but how does anyone think that is cool?

postitnote wrote: »
    http://www.ninis2.nisra.gov.uk/public/pivotgrid.aspx?dataSetVars=ds-2303-lh-37-yn-2011-

NI results here.

It's understandable that it irks you, but you can see that, from a policy and administration point of view, in the context of Norn Irn that's actually the relevant datum. They don't care what you believe, but they do want to know the community you identify with, and "religion or religion brought up in" is much the best marker for that.

Hopefully never.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Lapin wrote: »
    Hopefully never.

The stats would imply that it will happen over the next 20 years- ish

Lapin wrote: »
    That one jumped out at me more than any of the other findings.

I'm not sure I trust it, though I have yet to read the census.
    Well it's 1-in-6 in Ireland despite us only having about a decade of immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Took one look at the census form and threw it in the bin

The British Humanist Association is getting more and more like a religion every day, felt like booting the one who did my fathers funeral up the arrse. 5 minutes preaching about what a Humanist is out of a 20 minute service is rather tedious

Is there any breakdown showing how many attend mass mosque synagogue etc on a regular basis

Is there any breakdown showing how many attend mass mosque synagogue etc on a regular basis
    Not in the census, no.

The ONS is very clear that the datum which interests them is religious affiliation, not religious practice or religious belief.

There are of course other surveys on things like church attendance, and you'll find them with a spot of googling. But I don't think the ONS measures it at all - they're not interested. And attendance at worship is in any case problematic as a general measure of religiosity, since different religious traditions attach different significance, to it, and some attach little or none.

Well it's 1-in-6 in Ireland despite us only having about a decade of immigration.

Its one in 4 in my own city (Galway), but that can be attributed to a large multinational, student and bohemian presence.

The more I think about the London stat the more I'm coming to accept it, given the melting pot the place is and my own experiences there.

I just never thought the concentration of foreign born people there would be that high. Especially as most of the London born people I know never venture outside the M25 unless they're on holiday.

Given the population of London, that is a huge number of foreign born residents.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's understandable that it irks you, but you can see that, from a policy and administration point of view, in the context of Norn Irn that's actually the relevant datum. They don't care what you believe, but they do want to know the community you identify with, and "religion or religion brought up in" is much the best marker for that.

Agreed, in the context of community that's fine, and I hope it stay's in the context of community. Maybe there are more refined stats to come out. I'd just like to see "Religion brought up in" and "Current Religion" as two seperate column headers.

On a side note, I think that while Catholicism=Nationalism and Protestantism=Unionism is still a fairly accurate measure of things in this country, it's perhaps becoming a fractionally less useful tool. Only very fractionally mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I liked this line from the Daily Mail:
    Norwich is the most godless place in the country, as 42.5 per cent said they had no religion - despite the presence of one of England's most spectacular cathedrals.

"No, I don't believe in any god or gods. I subscribe to science and factual in.... Wow! That's a lovely cathedral. Y'know, maybe I will give this "God"-thing a try."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The religion you were brought up in is not necessarily the community you identify with. It would be better if they just asked "which community do you identify with", if that's what they really wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I didn't realise it was as close as that in the North.
    45% Catholic upbringing
    48% Protestant upbringing

I think it continues to do a disservice to people that hold religious beliefs to claim they only do so on the basis of what larger country they want to see N.I belong to. The longer we play up to such a notion the longer people who have a concern about the N.I situation but no interest in religion will falsely self-describe themselves as a member of a religion they are not.

+1 for who ever said the question is pathetic.

NI results here.

That is horrible! So if you are raised catholic and convert to protestant you can legitimately put down either, if you are raised muslim and convert to catholic you can legitimately put doen either and if you are raised scientologist and convert to jedi knight you can put down either but raised as any religion and become atheist and the only legitimate answer is the religion you were raised in as you no longer have a current religion. Way to fudge the answer you want Census people.

The religion you were brought up in is not necessarily the community you identify with. It would be better if they just asked "which community do you identify with", if that's what they really wanted to know.
    Possibly, except that's not a question which people will easily understand, or have a ready answer to (unless, perhaps you provide check boxes afterwards which helpfully suggest "Protestant" and "Catholic" as possible answers, which would rather defeat the point of rephrasing the question).

And in the context of a census that's quite a significant issue. The "what religion were your raised in?" question is one which people will understand consistently, and which they can answer easily, and which yields data which is close enough to what the census authorities are looking for to be functionally useful. So that's the question they go for. They're a pragmatic lot in the census department.

You might object that people shouldn't conflate their religious, communal and political identities in this way. And they might privately agree with you in the census department, but the business of the census is not to try to educate people about how they should think. Any attempt to rephrase this question so as to downplay or ignore the religious dimension to communal identity in NI they would, I think, reject as ideologically-driven.

From what I recall there were 2 seperate questions asked. The issue wasn't with the questions, but rather how the data from both answers was collated.

The results just seem to give the presumption that Answer A=Answer B and this seems wrong.

• Advertisement

Possibly, except that's not a question which people will easily understand, or have a ready answer to (unless, perhaps you provide check boxes afterwards which helpfully suggest "Protestant" and "Catholic" as possible answers, which would rather defeat the point of rephrasing the question).

And in the context of a census that's quite a significant issue. The "what religion were your raised in?" question is one which people will understand consistently, and which they can answer easily, and which yields data which is close enough to what the census authorities are looking for to be functionally useful. So that's the question they go for. They're a pragmatic lot in the census department.

You might object that people shouldn't conflate their religious, communal and political identities in this way. And they might privately agree with you in the census department, but the business of the census is not to try to educate people about how they should think. Any attempt to rephrase this question so as to downplay or ignore the religious dimension to communal identity in NI they would, I think, reject as ideologically-driven.

But without a real figure for religious belief people hold now regardless of how they were brought up there is no notion of how many and where to offer more secular state options. Especially as the question is worded to reduce the answer "No religion", whether on purpose or by accident.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That is horrible! So if you are raised catholic and convert to protestant you can legitimately put down either, if you are raised muslim and convert to catholic you can legitimately put doen either and if you are raised scientologist and convert to jedi knight you can put down either but raised as any religion and become atheist and the only legitimate answer is the religion you were raised in as you no longer have a current religion. Way to fudge the answer you want Census people.
    No, there were two questions on the form. Question 17 asked about your current affiliation; question 18 about the affiliation in which you were raised, so you can give accurate and truthful information on both points.

From what I recall there were 2 seperate questions asked. The issue wasn't with the questions, but rather how the data from both answers was collated.

The results just seem to give the presumption that Answer A=Answer B and this seems wrong.
    I think the way the data is mostly interpreted is that your political/community affiliation is assumed to be based on your current identification, but if your current identification doesn't give a pointer ("no religion") then it's inferred from the identification with which you were raised (on the basis that ex-Catholics and ex-Protestants still tend to hold characteristically "Catholic" and "Protestant" positions respectively on political questions).

Quite how they "interpret" people who were raised Catholic but are now Protestant or vice versa, I don't know. But the fact is that in Norn Irn such people are vanishingly rare, so they're not going to affect the big picture very much.

No, there were two questions on the form. Question 17 asked about your current affiliation; question 18 about the affiliation in which you were raised, so you can give accurate and truthful information on both points.

Fair enough. I'd still likely refuse to answer 18 myself unless they also have a question asking my age and then what age I was at 4, 8, 12 etc. because it would be as much a waste of my ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

I don't recall answering any questions about which religion (or not) I was raised in...

doctoremma wrote: »
    I don't recall answering any questions about which religion (or not) I was raised in...

I think you will find that was a special question for Northern Ireland

And boy are we special

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Fair enough. I'd still likely refuse to answer 18 myself unless they also have a question asking my age and then what age I was at 4, 8, 12 etc. because it would be as much a waste of my ink.
    Not wasteful at all! A comparison of the answers to questions 17 and 18 will yield much useful information about the rate at which people raised in religious traditions are abandoning those traditions, and will also yield much useful information about the backgrounds of the cohort of the population who now identify as having no religion. I'd have thought that's the kind of information the non-religious, and advocates for the rights and interests of the non-religious, would be quite keen to have.

And boy are we special

you may say that i couldn't possibly comment

• Advertisement

Not wasteful at all! A comparison of the answers to questions 17 and 18 will yield much useful information about the rate at which people raised in religious traditions are abandoning those traditions, and will also yield much useful information about the backgrounds of the cohort of the population who now identify as having no religion. I'd have thought that's the kind of information the non-religious, and advocates for the rights and interests of the non-religious, would be quite keen to have.

It might serve some novelty statistics but I can't see any planning benefit from the state or lobby group's perspectives. Maybe I'm missing something though!

Advertisement