Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killing turkeys

Options
  • 09-12-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

when do ye plan on killing the turkeys, im planning on starting killing the 18th and into the 19th

Whats yer plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

2 geese. prob the same dates as well. 18th and 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭glaswegian

15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

glaswegian wrote: »
    15th.

Was thinking of the 15th too but weather warming a bit, 1st time to keep turkeys, might kill next Tue or Wed.
    Do ye have a cold room or just a cool shed ??

A

hi askim,i usually hang mine from the rafters in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

GOING TO STARVE THEM FROM TOMORROW EVENING AND KILL ON WEDNESDAY ONLY DOING 2:o sorry bout caps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

continue to feed till monday evening 17th Dec
    they will have enough food until evening of the 18th
    starve from 18th evening until 4 or 5pm on 19th when they will be killed

Hang until 23rd.

Clean on 23rd any for oven.

2 spare turkeys and im going to bone, roll and stuff them and freezethem on 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Start in the morning and continue on Wednesday. Hang then in the lock up from rafters and will clean out any being collected Sunday, on Saturday evening and the rest Sunday afternoon for collection Monday morning. Sold 40 free range chickens this morning so will be busy for the evening as only 10 done so far.

i'm no expert lads,but are ye not leaving it a bit late for dispatch/hanging?the norm is to hang for between 7 to 10 days.

glaswegian wrote: »
    i'm no expert lads,but are ye not leaving it a bit late for dispatch/hanging?the norm is to hang for between 7 to 10 days.

Its a bit mild to have something dead hanging around 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cloudroost

I did my 10 yesterday afternoon. Weighing between 25 and 28 lb cold weight, so everybody should be well fed over the Xmas.
    Hopefully it won't be too mild between now and Xmas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

How long does it take you to pluck 10 birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cloudroost

I killed and plucked them in about 3.5 hours.

Killed all 4 last night, 30 mins a bird, cocks at 18lbs plucked & 1 hen at 12 lbs, all bronze birds, but look very long
    Still 6 arrived at 6 weeks, 1 died the second day & new pup got 1, am happy enough though for 1st time to keep turkeys

A

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

I had 6. Averaging in about 15-18lbs. One was 20 lbs. 2nd year doing it but last years turkeys were much bigger. Bit disappointed they werent all hitting 19-20 lbs.

Got a local butcher to kill pluck, store and clean for me. Takes a bit of the profit away but from watching him ive a better idea how to do it for next year.

wclarke20 wrote: »
    I had 6. Averaging in about 15-18lbs. One was 20 lbs. 2nd year doing it but last years turkeys were much bigger. Bit disappointed they werent all hitting 19-20 lbs.

Got a local butcher to kill pluck, store and clean for me. Takes a bit of the profit away but from watching him ive a better idea how to do it for next year.

What is your costs & selling price, of you don't mind me asking ??

Mine were buy at 6 weeks & feed, about €30, sold to inlaws for €50.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Sold all mine to friends and family for 50€. Butcher told me the going rate was 3.55/lb. I probably could have got more. I'm not a good salesman! They used to sleep in a shed I set up for them. I bedded it with straw and they picked at it a lot. Made a few quid off it but not much

wclarke20 wrote: »
    Sold all mine to friends and family for 50€. Butcher told me the going rate was 3.55/lb. I probably could have got more. I'm not a good salesman! They used to sleep in a shed I set up for them. I bedded it with straw and they picked at it a lot. Made a few quid off it but not much

Yeah about 3.50/lb but even at 50 euro if you killed and cleaned out yourself you would make 20 euro a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paul_norton

I have 41 turkeys, need someone to pluck them? anyone in the midlands preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I have 41 turkeys, need someone to pluck them? anyone in the midlands preferable.

Fill your boots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIUNlh-44PU

Would you mind PMing me where in the Midlands you are would be interested in one or two dressed or alive, in Laois this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

I have previous plucking experience as does my brother he also cleans them out,where in midlands,pm me

• Advertisement
Advertisement