Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The World War II EIRE markings

Options
  • 09-12-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

During the week I decided to start mapping whatever of these markings I could find still visible on web accessible satellite imagery. I initially started with Google but because of resolution issues in parts of the west, I'm currently working with locating them on Bing Maps.

These markings were linked to the system of numbered lookout posts around the Irish coast during the second world war. The best known one (until recently I guess) was probably the one on Malin Head in Donegal; the one on Loop Head was recently recovered (it had been buried) and is close to the lighthouse which is a major tourism amenity in Clare now. There is also one visible on the edge of the Burren near Black Head lighthouse.

I have mapped the following locations:

1) Inishowen Head
    2) Malin Head
    3) Saint John's Head
    4) Erris Head
    5) Black Head
    6) Dursey Island
    7) Arranmore Point
    8) Melmore Head
    9) Toe Head
    10) Horn Head

I believe I've found the remnants of one in Bray Head Valentia, so I've mapped it.

I've found a lot of useful information regarding the accompanying lookoutposts on www.lookoutpost.com and there is some information regarding the remaining signs in Donegal on the NW/Donegal forum here and on the Irish military online forum.

I can't currently map the Loop Head one on google because the imagery is too old and on bing, unusually, the resolution isn't actually there. It's pinned on the bing map though because it can be found.

I was initially hoping to find about 12 of them in total but as I have definitely scored 10 of them already, I'm now hopeful of finding 15 of them.

If anyone has any helpful information about tracking down others - I'm having some difficulty matching up some of the place names given on lookoutpost.com with mapping reality, particularly around Corraun and Carraigaholt, for example, it'd be great. I've also heard that there are 2 linked to some lookout posts (LOP71 apparently and possibly Achill Island as well). While I'm aware that there were 83-84 lookout posts constructed I don't know exactly how many EIRE signs were constructed.

What I'd like to end up with is a list of the ones constructed and a map of the ones which are still visible. People I have spoken to about this who have variously known about the markings but not known what they were for, or who haven't known or who have known about the markings and the LOP numbers associated are basically finding it fascinating. As a techie, I'm finding it fascinating that I can plot them on a satellite map from a computer in the middle of Dublin, plus I think it's a remnant of our history which doesn't get touched often. The Clare Champion had a fascinating article on life at the LOP in Loop Head and I've been to visit the one on Brandon Head myself (although I haven't found an associated sign and at the time didn't know there probably was one there). I think being on the coastal watch was a hard, hard life at the time, especially in winter.

If anyone can help with more information, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Congrats on your industry.

What is "bing" pls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Bing is the Microsoft search system and they have a mapping service not unlike Google. For my purposes, it has better resolution coverage of more of Ireland than Google, however, it has certain foibles in terms of linking out to the mapped sites which is currently driving me up the wall /endofmappingrant.

Thanks for any additional information can give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Calina wrote: »
    Hi folks,

During the week I decided to start mapping whatever of these markings I could find still visible on web accessible satellite imagery. I initially started with Google but because of resolution issues in parts of the west, I'm currently working with locating them on Bing Maps.

These markings were linked to the system of numbered lookout posts around the Irish coast during the second world war. The best known one (until recently I guess) was probably the one on Malin Head in Donegal; the one on Loop Head was recently recovered (it had been buried) and is close to the lighthouse which is a major tourism amenity in Clare now. There is also one visible on the edge of the Burren near Black Head lighthouse.

I have mapped the following locations:

1) Inishowen Head
    2) Malin Head
    3) Saint John's Head
    4) Erris Head
    5) Black Head
    6) Dursey Island
    7) Arranmore Point
    8) Melmore Head
    9) Toe Head
    10) Horn Head

I believe I've found the remnants of one in Bray Head Valentia, so I've mapped it.

I've found a lot of useful information regarding the accompanying lookoutposts on www.lookoutpost.com and there is some information regarding the remaining signs in Donegal on the NW/Donegal forum here and on the Irish military online forum.

I can't currently map the Loop Head one on google because the imagery is too old and on bing, unusually, the resolution isn't actually there. It's pinned on the bing map though because it can be found.

I was initially hoping to find about 12 of them in total but as I have definitely scored 10 of them already, I'm now hopeful of finding 15 of them.

If anyone has any helpful information about tracking down others - I'm having some difficulty matching up some of the place names given on lookoutpost.com with mapping reality, particularly around Corraun and Carraigaholt, for example, it'd be great. I've also heard that there are 2 linked to some lookout posts (LOP71 apparently and possibly Achill Island as well). While I'm aware that there were 83-84 lookout posts constructed I don't know exactly how many EIRE signs were constructed.

What I'd like to end up with is a list of the ones constructed and a map of the ones which are still visible. People I have spoken to about this who have variously known about the markings but not known what they were for, or who haven't known or who have known about the markings and the LOP numbers associated are basically finding it fascinating. As a techie, I'm finding it fascinating that I can plot them on a satellite map from a computer in the middle of Dublin, plus I think it's a remnant of our history which doesn't get touched often. The Clare Champion had a fascinating article on life at the LOP in Loop Head and I've been to visit the one on Brandon Head myself (although I haven't found an associated sign and at the time didn't know there probably was one there). I think being on the coastal watch was a hard, hard life at the time, especially in winter.

If anyone can help with more information, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Lot of info on this thread in the WW2 forum, where various people have already done some mapping work on the markings.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056009172

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Thanks for that.

I have 14 of them now and I'll post in that thread if it's not too old to resurrect. The Valentia clue was particularly helpful because I could not find it. I may have located the Baltimore one from that too but I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

OK thanks Calina.

Good luck with the project

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Were they whitewashed rocks or what were they made up with?

Advertisement