Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 riddles

Options
  • 08-12-2012 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Can anyone solve these riddles?

- Russian Roulette - 4 blanks 2 bullets, all in a row. If someone shoots a blank next to you, would you take another shot or spin. Work out the probability.

- A Bat and a Ball cost a total of £1.10, if the bat costs £1 more than the ball what is the cost of the ball.

Comments

A bat and a ball- The ball costs £0.05 (£1.05 + £0.05 = £1.10)
    Russian Roulette- If you took another shot then you would have 2 out of 5 chance of getting a bullet, if you spun then you would have a 2 out of 6 chance of getting a bullet, because you have the chance of getting an empty/used bullet that you couldn't have got in the first way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

ft9 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it doesn't matter if you take another shot or spin as the probability is the same, 1 in 3 chance?

The ball costs 5p.

How did you work out the 5p?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

The ball cost 5p, the bat cost 1pound more which is 1.05. 1.05 + .05 = 1.10

Sorry I deleted my post as it was 1st time posting here and thought I should have used spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Bat and ball are 1.05 and 0.05.
    I am thinking that it is not as simple as 2/5 or 40% chance of getting shot. The person next to you fired a blank therefore you only need to account for 1 live round if they are in order 4 blanks and 2 live?

so £1.10 = the price of the ball + the price of the bat
    The price of the bat = £1 + the price of the ball

so £1.10 = the price of the ball + ( £1 + the price of the ball)
    £1.10 = 2(the price of the ball) + £1
    £0.10 = 2(the price of the ball)
    £0.05 = the price of the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

If you shoot, 3/4 chance of getting blank next, 1/4 chance of bullet.
    If you spin, 4/6 chance of blank, 2/6 chance of bullet.

don't spin ... or better yet, don't play in the first place :)

f.

Advertisement