Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Chalking down my first of the night passing just north of Orion, nice trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

One broke up very near my house at least within at 20 mile radius and I could see bits break up and a great white fireball.
    It was quite low in the sky also only about 20 degrees or so near the south ,south east area

It was really spectacular !!!!

Saw 12 in total :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Chalking down my first of the night passing just north of Orion, nice trail.

Where abouts are you? in Dub or on Holidays? :D

Seriously, is it worth going outside? I have whiskey.

keith16 wrote: »

Where abouts are you? in Dub or on Holidays? :D

Seriously, is it worth going outside? I have whiskey.
    Am in Wicklow. Saw one in about 30 mins, will try again after 12 hopefully the clouds stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Thinking of going to the Phoenix Park in a while. Worth a look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I only saw one I got too cold. I have been goin in and out. tryin to reheat by fire. probably missing all the action. I am in a city so should that affect my view. my back garden has a lot of foliage around it which is hiding the street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Quite a lot of cloud cover again tonight in the midlands which is disappointing, some areas to the north are relatively clear though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Caught a good few already by eye, DSLR is set and imaging :)

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Quite a lot of cloud cover again tonight in the midlands which is disappointing, some areas to the north are relatively clear though. :(

Louth, clear skies right now.

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Louth, clear skies right now.

Are you seeing any activity?

• Advertisement

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Are you seeing any activity?

Yes, caught a few by eye already, nothing on camera yet :( - small clouds moving in too now :mad:

Note that later on might be best for more of them, more frequently (or so I read)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Good, clear skies up here in Sligo. I've seen about 4 or 5 small ones so far.

Got the kettle on full time and fairly motoring through a bottle of Jameson - might be a few bannings over in AH in a couple of hours!

Just finished a one hour stint, saw 8 in total. The clouds rolling by dont help! Would like to stay up later but too tired!! Good luck to those still outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Clear enough skies here in Cork City but it's looking like the brightest part of the sky is in the NE. Feckin' light pollution!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Sligo views are amazing at moment with not a cloud in the sky - for a change! Looked out the back door for a min and saw 3 in a row. In town but thinking of going out country now for a real view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

managed to get 50 or so images before clouds rolled in here at a dark site in south monaghan. looks like starting to clear from sw now though. haven't seen or imaged any yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Yep, just arrived in Phoenix park in time to see
    A) everyone else leave
    B) clouds rolling in and covering everything.

Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Good, clear skies up here in Sligo. I've seen about 4 or 5 small ones so far.

Got the kettle on full time and fairly motoring through a bottle of Jameson - might be a few bannings over in AH in a couple of hours!

Ban 10 people for every geminid you see. That should clean AH right up. Or maybe not?

Anyway, went out for a look there now...nothing, although Jupiter does look spectacular.

Yep, just arrived in Phoenix park in time to see
    A) everyone else leave
    B) clouds rolling in and covering everything.

Great.

Forecast is clear skies around now - ish , clearing from the south

• Advertisement

Finally some decent clear skies in the midlands, caught three in the space of ten minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

What time are they to peak tonight? I'm thinking of heading to the phoenix park around 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Saw two over the space of 40 minutes. One very bright one out of the corner of my eye and the other much more dimmer.

Warming up now. Debating whether to go back outside or call it a night.

Ok , excuse my ignorance but where exactly should I see them? If I take orions belt a reference point?

Left of that, but they only emanate from Gemini, so they can appear everywhere in the North-East direction really. I even saw one north-west almost

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Forecast is clear skies around now - ish , clearing from the south

Yeah, it did clear up a lot, an i ended up spending another 40 minutes hanging around, but only saw a couple, and didn't catch any on camera.

So a total of 55 pics taken at 15sec exposure and not one meteor visible :(

Went ahead and stacked the lot anyway then quick process. Polux/Castor on the top left, Jupiter the big bright object on the right middle edge and M35 is even visible bang on the middle.

8273162871_8fe5c957c5.jpg

Better luck next year perhaps! Anyone caught something on camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Happened to see one last night walking home from the shops... was wondering what the hell that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

70 frames. 0 meteors. :(
    Hope to have one more go on Sunday night/Monday morning and trust to luck to have a late passing lightshow.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

will it still be going on tonight ?

• Advertisement

will it still be going on tonight ?

I believe it will, last night was the peak.

Advertisement