Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tuesday 24th 7 miles @ 7:40 pace

The plan was for 16-18 - but after physio on Monday we decided to cut it back.
    Leg held up ok - possibly cut have thrown in a few more miles and been very comfortable - but the coaches wrath is to be avoided at all costs. I'm a nightmare as it is.

Plan for Wednesday is 10 with 3x2@HMP (note: not 10k pace, Alan :) ) - tempted to tag on another couple of miles if the leg is feeling upto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Plan for Wednesday is 10 with 3x2@HMP (note: not 10k pace, Alan :) ) - tempted to tag on another couple of miles if the leg is feeling upto it.
    Why?

Why?

couple of reasons.

I'm doing a kilomarathon at MP on Sat and the jist behind the weeks training was to really fatigue the legs - so the 16m becomes like the latter part of the marathon.

Missing the 16-18 miles tonight is counter to that plan - so by tacking a few miles on tomorrow or Thursday might help.

Also 'cos I want to annoy Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

your doing the whole kilomarathon at MP? that'll be tough. you saw the state of me after 8 of them on Saturday, be careful. Was half tempted to do that race aswell but I reckon a slower"no pressure" solo run would be of more benefit. Good luck!

couple of reasons.

I'm doing a kilomarathon at MP on Sat and the jist behind the weeks training was to really fatigue the legs - so the 16m becomes like the latter part of the marathon.

Missing the 16-18 miles tonight is counter to that plan - so by tacking a few miles on tomorrow or Thursday might help.

Also 'cos I want to annoy Dave.
    Interesting. The way I'm thinking though is that 3 x 2m @ HMP in the middle of 10m is a bit different to 16m easy because @ HMP you're going to get some build up of lactic acid which is going to make your muscles more prone to injury if you do a long (>4m) cool down. Just my opinion but I'd be watching that calf of yours. If you don't make it to the start line all the training in the world isn't going to help you

• Advertisement

the plan was for 16m on Tues - 4r on Wed - 10 with 3x2 on Thurs.

Due to physio we changed it to: 6-7 Tues / 10 (3x2) wed) / Thursday is dependent on how Wed went.

Advice is to do the 3x2 near the end of the run - so adds up to what you're saying.

the plan was for 16m on Tues - 4r on Wed - 10 with 3x2 on Thurs.

Due to physio we changed it to: 6-7 Tues / 10 (3x2) wed) / Thursday is dependent on how Wed went.

Advice is to do the 3x2 near the end of the run - so mind your own business.

FYP :D

not at all. Value your input.

If it was Gavlor or Meno - then you'd be right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

not at all. Value your input.

If it was Gavlor or Meno - then you'd be right :)

I welcome advice, I just choose to ignore most of it!!

Also meant to say, I ran down by the hills in the PP today and there were a few bunches of flowers laid out. Was nice to see. Stopped for a mo, said a prayer and moved on.

Nice touches by whoever (whomever?) left the flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Also meant to say, I ran down by the hills in the PP today and there were a few bunches of flowers laid out. Was nice to see. Stopped for a mo, said a prayer and moved on.

Nice touches by whoever (whomever?) left the flowers.

Good man!

Tried my 10m run on Wednesday, stopped after a mile to stretch, and again after 2 miles. Made sure to run on grass and decided not do the HMP sections.
    5 miles in (~7:40 pace) and it totally broke down - causing me to limp back to the car.

Had a chat with a few people and have made the rather easy decision not to do DCM this year and let the calf heal properly (with appropriate physio).

Plan is to take 10-14 days off (coincides with some work travel to the US), then reassess goals and plans for the remainder of the year.

Some thoughts.........

I've been minding the calf since Aug 20th (1st mention in my log) -
    * Increased mileage significantly in Aug after 2 week break didn't help me.
    * An adapted P&D in early August with some 'off plan' hill reps didn't help me.
    * Doing a 6m run 2 hrs after the Frank Duffy 10 miler didn't help me.
    * Having a coach who espouses the virtues of easy running was a revelation to me and had I engaged his help earlier, I'd be gliding to a sub 3 performance this year.

Hopefully be back running mid October, too late for DCM but looking forward to setting new goals and cracking that sub 3 in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

That's a bummer. Still, the hardest part is making the decision. Now you can recover properly and plan for the future. Onwards and upwards!

Ah that's a balls Alan, sorry to hear that. It seemed from the outside that your training was going really well.

cianc wrote: »
    That's a bummer. Still, the hardest part is making the decision. Now you can recover properly and plan for the future. Onwards and upwards!
    +1

I think it's the right decision going forward though

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well RK - sorry to hear that.

If it's any consolation I'm out too. I was actually training for Eindhoven 2 weeks before Dublin with Dublin as a backup in case of an enforced gap in the schedule - injury or otherwise. Well, even with that Dublin is going to be too soon for me.

No point in turning your calf issue into a lifelong chronic problem so best let it heal.

Don't have any regrets either - set a goal, go for it, see what happens, learn from experience....

By the way I made a similar decision as this 18 months ago before Rotterdam but ended up running it ;)
    Oh yeah - there's some nice marathons in Spain and Italy in Nov/Dec too - sssh!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Don't have any regrets either - set a goal, go for it, see what happens, learn from experience....

I completely agree with this. One of the reasons we're all running is because we enjoy it for itself. Goals and races add spice, but we don't run day in, day out just for some payoff months in the future, we run because we love it. So get better, and keep running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Sorry to hear that man! Keep your fire alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's a tough break RK, and i'm sure it's not a decision you took lightly. I think it's the right choice though, missing a goal race is disappointing - being pig headed and running it, causing serious and potentially long term damage is a disaster waiting to happen.

Take the time off, heal as much as you can and come back stronger in the long term.

Safe travels... how I wish I had a job that took me to the States!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Bummer man- sorry to hear that. You'll come back much stronger though, no doubt.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    how I wish I had a job that took me to the States!

its the US version of Sligo.......stuck up in the northwest corner, time has somehow managed to slip by it.......... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Tough call to have to make RK but sounds like its the right one and the sensible one. Enjoy the break and you'll be back flying in no time. With your training you'll be burning up the shorter distances!!

Sounds like you're going to Portland??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

its the US version of Sligo.......stuck up in the northwest corner, time has somehow managed to slip by it.......... :D
    I wouldn't care! I bet it has better doughnuts and burgers than Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Bet it doesn't have a Four Lanterns :D:D

Shame about the calf RK, real shame. But you are making the right decision.

Out of curiousity, has your Physio recommended not running dcm or is it your call?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, has your Physio recommended not running dcm or is it your call?

my call based on the fact that its sore to walk right now.
    I've had 3 sessions on it in a month with no real sustained change.

I've been managing it for too long - doing the rehab excercises & the stretching - plus there's only so much nurofen you can take, or only so much icing you can do, only so much foam rolling - before the very obvious decision smacks you in the face :rolleyes:

Tom Joad wrote: »
    T

Sounds like you're going to Portland??

The quiet part..........

my call based on the fact that its sore to walk right now.
    I've had 3 sessions on it in a month with no real sustained change.

I've been managing it for too long - there's only so much nurofen you can take, or only so much icing you can do, only so much foam rolling - before the very obvious decision smacks you in the face :rolleyes:

You've had no real sustained improvement because you haven't exactly rested it. Would you not take a few days r&r and take stock then? I wouldn't be throwing away that training on a knee (calf) jerk reaction.

Even if you went 3.10/15 pace it's a pb and more vital marathon experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

The quiet part..........

Just to defend Portland its actually a pretty cool down. GREAT beer. Also- you aren't far away from the spiritual home of American distance running- Eugene, Oregon. If you are at all close- you should swing by, check out Hayward Field and run Pre's Trail....

Think Rogue Beers are from up that way can't stress enough how good the Pac NW is for beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Sorry to read this A as I know you've been working hard.

Had you posted "I am thinking of not doing DCM" I would say maybe forget about marathon plans for the moment & run very easy while in the US, and see how you feel when you return. You've been flying in training, but maybe this US trip is coming at the perfect time? Rest the body (and mind). Even if you ran easy for the next 4 weeks surely you wouldn't lose too much fitness or maybe that's a naive assumption on my part.

However it looks like you've made your decision already which is fair enough & commendable. Hope it clears up soon for you.

Who's log will we over analyse now instead ?! Career Move? :pac:

Advertisement