Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scala - is it going to consign Java to legacy code

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

croo wrote: »
    Well I mentioned Spring because it more than anything has been pushing the Java Stack forward.
    Yes. And it shows how Oracle have been incapable of doing that.
    But I don't see how Java is competing with Ajax? I work an an app with a java backend, swing front end and a ZK front end.

Like the ZK & GWT frameworks? Perhaps I just mis-undertand?

Is that a typo?
    Sun / Oracle put a lot of time / money into JSF 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0

But you'd be much better off not using it and putting your front end in JavaScript / Ajax and keep Java completely away from your Presentation Tier.
    I only looked at Scala very briefly about 4-5 years ago. I could see for certain types of problems - I think someone mentioned earlier "programming problems as opposed to say business problems - that's kinda what I thought but it was a brief look. Perhaps you might point to something that Scala does that Java just cannot do - by that I mean a problem it can solve that java can't.
    The reason why Scala is a game breaker is because it solves concurrency using a completely different approach. It also has tonnes of syntatic sugar.
    To me the attraction of java is not the language, but the huge eco system that's available around it. Things like (Spring) that took years to evolve. Not matter what problem (or business problem sat least because business software in the area I deal with) you have it's been addressed before!
    Yes you are right. But the majority of J2EE , JEE code bases become unmaintainable after a few years. Unless you have a few really good people - which is rare.

I think what we are seeing the technology industry is a shrinking of dev teams. Why? Because they cost way less. Then if these people become more productive the cost is justified.

So 9 Scala whizzes can beat a Java dev team of 20 and cost half the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes. And it shows how Oracle have been incapable of doing that.
    Is your issue the java language or Oracle/Sun?

You think Spring is "good" but "java" is bad. That makes zero sense to me.
    But you'd be much better off not using it and putting your front end in JavaScript / Ajax and keep Java completely away from your Presentation Tier.
    Jsp/Tiles?
    What exactly do you mean by "keep java away from presentation tier"?
    Yes you are right. But the majority of J2EE , JEE code bases become unmaintainable after a few years. Unless you have a few really good people - which is rare.
    Ok so, lets say Scala becomes mainstream...you really dont think there will be crap, hard to maintain, legacy Scala apps in 15 years time?
    The reason why Scala is a game breaker is because it solves concurrency using a completely different approach. It also has tonnes of syntatic sugar.
    So go use node then then. All languages are better or worse at various things. Personally I happen to think that java does a pretty good job at being pretty good at everything.
    So 9 Scala whizzes can beat a Java dev team of 20 and cost half the amount.

5 Java whizzes can beat a team of 9 Scala devs too.
    Whizzes are better than "normal" devs...hence them being a "whizz", n'est pas?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is your issue the java language or Oracle/Sun?
    There are obvious shorting comings with Java when you compare it with alternatives.
    You think Spring is "good" but "java" is bad. That makes zero sense to me.
    I don't thing Java is bad at everything. There just now better alternatives.
    Jstp/Tiles
    What exactly do you mean by "keep java away from presentation tier"?
    JSP/ Tiles are architecturally inferior to a pure JavaScript approach. As I said keep Java away from the Presentation Tier. There is no need to hitting your server for new pages. The fat client is back.
    Ok so, lets say Scala becomes mainstream...you really dont think there will be crap, hard to maintain, legacy Scala apps in 15 years time?
    I don't see Scala becoming mainstream. We are going to be a fragmented world the next 5 years.
    All languages are better or worse at various things. Personally I happen to think that java does a pretty good job at being pretty good at everything.
    Absolutely. Java is a meat and 2 veg language. Whereas it used to be a language that offered major advantages. Now, it offers very litte advantages.
    5 Java whizzes can beat a team of 9 Scala devs too.
    Whizzes are better than "normal" devs...hence them being a "whizz", n'est pas?
    9 Scala whizzes will beat a 9 Java Whizzes.
    But it's not really about the people. It's the fact that JScala / Groovey / Clojure solves some problems with Java. Just like Java solved problems with C++.
    This is how technology evolves. Problems --> Solutions. Problems --> Solutions.

Scala provides a way to achieve comet architectures using Lift. What is the best way to do this in Java?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Scala provides a way to achieve comet architectures using Lift. What is the best way to do this in Java?

Well considering Alex Russell admits it is to be depreciated in favor of web sockets, that's an irrelevant question to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Comet.
    /disgusted noise
    aka Push for slow learners...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Java is going nowhere any time soon. It's still the right tool for a lot of jobs, especially backend. Twitter recently migrated a chunk of their backend from Rails to Java due to the performance advantages that were on offer.

jester77 wrote: »
    Java is going nowhere any time soon. It's still the right tool for a lot of jobs, especially backend. Twitter recently migrated a chunk of their backend from Rails to Java due to the performance advantages that were on offer.

Twitter went to Scala.

What architectural advantage does it offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Twitter went to Scala.

They moved their message queue to scala. More recently they moved their search engine over to a java based solution.
    What architectural advantage does it offer?

Their engineering blog describes the advantages they have achieved.

• Advertisement

Their engineering blog describes the advantages they have achieved.
    Java offers scaling advantages over Ruby. But Scala beats Java in Scaling.
    Does Java offer any major architectural advantages over other languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

This thread has turned into a slow motion car crash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

For those, like myself, looking for some details on what the differences really are I found the following interesting
    http://www.infoq.com/articles/scala-java-myths-facts

Some points of note i gleamed from it...
    Ownership of Java by SUN probably helped push java to evolve faster in the early days but as it matured it also raised a lot of risk questions, especially when Oracle came on the scene. OpenJDK is now usable and so the java world is, finally, beholden to none. Scala, I note, is owned and controlled by one firm. IS that a step back? Are we adding the risk back again?

Scala is just the language. It would use the existing Java Servers and frameworks. Might that be a circle in a square hole type scenario? You might squeeze it in but you know it never should be there :)
    Do we need to wait until there is a full Scala stack - plus all the equivalent to all the java development tools.

Another thing that strikes me as I read the code examples. Java is verbose and when standard patterns are used it can be quick to find your way around a new project. Scala looks like it can be pretty cryptic. I can see, just from this article, that it can be powerful when addressing specific problems but then i try to imagine a system with a few million lines of code and i can imagine a lot of creative coding that only the original developer can easily understand. It's probably not fair to blame the language if that happens but you know what they say - if it can be done it will be done.

On a couple of java based foss software projects i work with what has happened is the application framework was extended to allow "scripts" to be initiated on defined application events. This tends to get used to extend the basic functionality - often with such things as for complex defaulting (for example applying complex pricing rules) and data entry validation. These scripts can be written in many dialects but groovy has become a favourite. I could definitely see scala being popular in such a role! i.e. Small distinct problems to be resolved.

ps. @ChRoMe, I should probably have let this die okay but I had this written yesterday but forgot to hit post.

croo wrote: »
    ps. @ChRoMe, I should probably have let this die okay but I had this written yesterday but forgot to hit post.

:)

Its one of the most informative and reasoned posts on the thread mate!

If anyone has some Scala, Clojure or Groovey books that you don't want I'll take them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Don't ask for a pm in thread please.

Advertisement