Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see why people chose Apple

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

I use iTunes simply because there is no other player I can find that handles nested smart playlists the way it does, if anyone can suggest anything I'd be delighted to switch over.

I us iSyncr to sync both ways between android and itunes over wifi or usb, Airdroid for airplay streaming and Remote for iTunes to control itunes over wifi. That's pretty much all the features of an iPhone right there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Tazium wrote: »
    The fact is, it's not as simple.

What? It's even simpler ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    And you must that snotty dusty dark basement IT Tech Support Guy. The kind of guy who says "well it works on my pc so i dont think theres an issue" when someone calls up with a problem.

You could also use the likes of google music which allows sync over the air to you music stored in the cloud oh and its free unlike a certain similar apple product.

As an aside why are you comparing a near 2 year old phone with up to date Android devices ?

for shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

And you must that snotty dusty dark basement IT Tech Support Guy. The kind of guy who says "well it works on my pc so i dont think theres an issue" when someone calls up with a problem.

This is what those of us who work in IT call a "PEBKAC"
    Problem exists between keyboard and chair, otherwise known as the common ID 10 T error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

kayos wrote: »
    If you were in his shoes the answer would be "I only know how to do it on a mac, why didn't you buy a mac"

I've multiple current devices between android and WP7.5 I've never had a single issue with android or WP7.5. You dont even need to connect the android to your PC to upgrade the OS... that was true when I had a HTC Legend and still true on my Nexus 7.

Dont like justifying myself online, but have a mac, and a windows 8 pc running VM's of various flavours of windows & Linux.

I know how to use a computer. I didnt expect installing a few drivers for a phone to be a big deal. Ive had an iphone for some time and it just worked. Before that I had a windows phone and it just worked.

Im not saying i havnt made a wrong turn here and there, but the process of installing a driver should not leave many wrong turns to make.

And i made the foolish assumtion that we had moved beyond drag and dropping music. My first mp3 player ( awesome little iRiver) was drag and drop. thats fine with a few gb. With 60Gb of music on your pc, dragging and dropping of a song here, and a song there is unfesable.

It seems though instead of getting help on this thread you just get folks (some, not all) anxious to display some form of superiority. Yay, you didnt have issues installing a driver, go you!

Please, if all you have to add is that it worked for you, or you are jumping some snap conclusion about how little i know about computers, DONT. i posted here for help, not to massage other folks ego's over something as silly as a phone.

• Advertisement

You still don't get it.. There is no need to install any drivers!

In this case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I know how to use a computer. I didnt expect installing a few drivers for a phone to be a big deal. Ive had an iphone for some time and it just worked. Before that I had a windows phone and it just worked.

Im not saying i havnt made a wrong turn here and there, but the process of installing a driver should not leave many wrong turns to make.

And i made the foolish assumtion that we had moved beyond drag and dropping music. My first mp3 player ( awesome little iRiver) was drag and drop. thats fine with a few gb. With 60Gb of music on your pc, dragging and dropping of a song here, and a song there is unfesable.

Installing drivers is always a precise science, whether it be for a phone, printer, keyboard etc... If you dont have the correct one, don't do it! It is up to the manufacturer to give clear links on their website/provide a CD for the correct one.

This is nothing to do with android.

Usually the stock USB drivers that come with the OS are fine, you have installed something you shouldn't have that has borked your USB driver.

As for the media player comment previous posters have provided multiple examples of music player similar to Itunes that you can use. Most people prefer these to Itunes due to them not having as big of a footprint on your system, not being as closed off as Itunes, and yes, being simpler to use than Itunes. You cannot use these with an Iphone unless you root it and void its warranty.

Drag and drop is a bog standard way of transferring files to your android phone that has been around since the inception of Windows. Apple have not provided this with their Iphone for their own reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

srsly78 wrote: »
    What? It's even simpler ffs.

If it were, the OP wouldn't be in this situation.

If it were, the OP wouldn't be in this situation.

Nope, the OP thinks they are a computer expert and insists on installing the android sdk for no reason whatsoever.

Wow... there are actually still people above trying to give him advice on installing drivers. Which part of "you don't need any drivers" is not clear?#

Also am pretty sure the phone only prompts for drivers when in debug mode. Why are these people turning on debug mode?

Nope, the OP thinks they are a computer expert and insists on installing the android sdk for no reason whatsoever.

When did this become a bashing thread?

• Advertisement

When did this become a bashing thread?

When the op rejected the helpful advice and started trolling I think.

That's the thing, OP didn't reject anyone's advice. Trust the internet to take what you say and screw it backwards.

Wow... there are actually still people above trying to give him advice on installing drivers. Which part of "you don't need any drivers" is not clear?#

Call it a general computing tip. As I pointed out they didn't need to install any drivers, usually the stock ones are fine. Merely pointing out what they probably did wrong.

srsly78 pointed out on the 3rd post of the thread what needed to be done, OP had probably gone beyond this and did something to there system by messing around with drivers, then proceeded to complain about it not being as "simple" as Itunes. That is the crux of the problem for this whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LOL, understanding plugging a usb storage device into your computer and dragging and dropping makes you an IT geek now!

You mentioned dragging and dropping was old fashioned, the reason it's popular is that you know exactly what's happening. You're not letting a program fúck up your music files. I have about 140 gig of music, every id3 tag is right, album art is right and folders are organised perfectly. itunes is the last program I'd let near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

When the op rejected the helpful advice and started trolling I think.

Its not trolling nor rejecting. Drag and drop only works if you got a couple of songs. In my library I have 1787 folders based on Artist -> Album.

Try going through all of them and drag and drop...See how far you will get. Drag and Drop just isn't an option unless you want to quickly drop in a new album you just got and you know where it is.

I'm not a fan of iTunes or Zune but they do what their meant to do and Android lacks that. Even Samsung Kies sucks as it fails to ever work properly with Windows 8 or Windows 7 for that matter, taking huge amount of time to start up, find media and so many clicks to transfer to the device.

People pointed out MANY itunes alternatives that work fine on android. You can even use itunes itself on some android phones (motorola ones).

Drag and drop only works if you got a couple of songs.

I'm not a fan of iTunes or Zune but they do what their meant to do and Android lacks that. Even Samsung Kies sucks as it fails to ever work properly with Windows 8 or Windows 7 for that matter, taking huge amount of time to start up, find media and so many clicks to transfer to the device.

That is your opinion, and you are probably in the minority with it. Most people prefer complete control of what music they put on their phone.

There is also numerous Applications out their that you can use on Android to sync you media files...giving a wide range of customer choice, Windows media player probably being the most popular but probably the worst :D. My advice, go for Winamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

_Puma_ wrote: »
    That is your opinion, and you are probably in the minority with it. Most people prefer complete control of what music they put on their phone.

There is also numerous Applications out their that you can use on Android to sync you media files...giving a wide range of customer choice, Windows media player probably being the most popular but probably the worst :D. My advice, go for Winamp.

Well it might come as a surprise, but the majority of people don't even plug their phone into a computer to do any kind of syncing. Many people I've met that don't even know what to do with iTunes and nvm anything else.

Depends on how you define control. iTunes and Zune and even WMP gives you complete control of what you want to put on your device.

I can always remember when I was trying to teach my mum how to put music onto her Xperia Play last year. She was completely confused with drag and drop concept even though she has done it many times with a USB stick...

Then the phone was replaced with a Lumia 800. All I had to do is download Zune for her. Showed her where the songs were, and told her right click and press sync and she could do it.

I think OP's idea was that apple does it so simply. Just download iTunes and you can sync your music very easily. Same for Zune, bit disappointed they have got rid of that in WP8.

That Sync Client HTC makes is quite crap tbh. Just like Kies. I tried using Double Twist with Air sync before and that is slow as Xmas and does a terrible job at displaying and easy syncing.

Ya your right about the majority thing. The most popular for users that have tried multiple syncing apps maybe.. coming from my own experience as an Itunes, WMP, and Winamp player user. I usually cant justify installing these Media players any more when I'm doing a clean install.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MediaMonkey is the "idiot proof" iTunes like syncing program which works with Android (and Apple devices actually). There are plenty more but that is the most itunes like. Drag and drop is far easier and quicker than syncing, plus less likely for the sync to screw up and need "restoring", like what used to happen to my ipod too regularly. At least with Android and soon WP8 you'll have choice

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement