Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Center not receiving listings past 6th December?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fats19760

Alun wrote: »
    I wouldn't give up all hope just yet, MS have now at least acknowledged the problem on the MS Connect site ...

Well, Alun, at least they did acknowledge you. Somewhat good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

kenmc wrote: »
    right, so given that MCE seems to be a dodo, what are the options available then?

Well the instructions I linked to above use a free program called EPG Collector that can be used to grab channel data from other sources. I can't claim it's an easy solution, but at this stage I have most listings back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm using EPG Collector too, pulling in the Sky listings rather than the Freesat ones, as they contain Series Link info. I had some trouble linking the listings to some channels, as the relevant listings just weren't appearing in the list, but assigning a dummy EPG Collector listing to the channel, and then relisting the options, the appropriate listing then appeared in the list and could be assigned. Odd.

Anyway, it's all working OK now, and I've set up a scheduled task to download them at 2am which is also working well.

I don't actually think MS have completely abandoned it, as they've at least now acknowledged my report (and all the others), so it would appear it's just a monumental cock-up occurring at the most inopportune time possible. I'm in two minds as to whether I'll stick with EPG Collector or revert back to MS listings once (if!) they reappear. It's nice having a 14 day EPG, I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HLF

It's BACK...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

HLF wrote: »
    It's BACK...:)
    Yes, just noticed ... listings until 17th December!! Only for the UK though, still nothing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Here's hoping....response from Microsoft on one of the UK reports:

"Microsoft is aware of the issue with the Electronic Programming Guide for Windows Media Center in the UK and Ireland. We have identified the cause and have already deployed a fix for the UK. A solution for Ireland is in the works and we will issue an update when the issue is resolved.

We apologize for the inconvenience to Windows Media Center users in these countries."

Good God. When you think of the sweet tax deal we're giving these people, and they treat us like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fats19760

Mine's fixed - in the UK :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yay.Well Yay-ish.
    Anyway, what do ye map your TV3 listings to in GuideTool? I ended up with a portugese TV3 for the last few weeks. Although it doesn't really make any difference I suppose what the guide for that channel says :) Still, be nice to know what shows they've gone and bought in from ITV.

edit: sorry meant to say I'm on UPC analogue cable , so there's nothing available "over the air"

I didn't remap the Irish channels, they were always the same as before. I guess the listings come over the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Irish guide is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Seriously?? Thats Great, In Work now. But seriously sick of missing TV that I couldn't record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

The one good thing to come out of this is the fact I was forced to retune and use UK listings. They seem to be higher quality, flagging HD programmes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

The Register seem to think it was all their own work - even though it was already a known issue in Microsoft at the time they contacted them...

Article here

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

The one good thing to come out of this is the fact I was forced to retune and use UK listings. They seem to be higher quality, flagging HD programmes etc.

I switched to the UK listings also, but haven't noticed any HD programmes flagged. I only have a DVB-S tuner but still receive ITV-HD & C4-HD. Utilising Guide Tool I have selected various guide data providers, can you tell me which Guide Data provider you are using?

I left my Irish channels as In-band guide data, though I notice that there are no colour-categories in these listings & no HD flagging for RTE2-HD. Can you get Irish guide data from UK Guide Data providers that would it solve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

@ Wheeker: If you look HERE you'll see the HD channels that are on S or S2
    CH4 & ITV are still on S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm having some trouble with windows media center 8 and the epg.

I select to get the latest guide and it says it downloads successfully. Even in the guide info says it has the guide for the next two weeks but lots of stations say no data available intil I turn on the station it will update but usually only has the next couple of programmes.

Also when I turn on the next day almost all yhw channels are no data available again until I select each one. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

The default MC guide listings can be a bit patchy alright, especially for some of the Freesat channels. It would seem for some of your channels you have in-band "now & next" guide data only i.e. taken from the actual satellite signal rather than from any downloaded guide data.

First off I would check what listings each channel has, (from memory) in the guide right click on the channel & "Edit Channel"-> "Edit Guide Listing" this should tell you which Guide listing is currently being used & there may be others you could select instead.

Otherwise, you can go the route I went to get full guide listings by downloading GuideTool. This is a free software that enables you to edit the guide listings for all channels, also useful for batch channel renumbering etc. I've pretty much got full guide listings for all channels now. There are other paid-for software & guide data provision routes you could go, but GuideTool did it all for me for free:D

Advertisement