Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vat rate on car service

Options
  • 02-12-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Got my car serviced with my local dealer and they charged 13.5% vat.
    Anyway talking to my friend and he got his car serviced by an independent garage and he was curious about the bill. He was charged 23% vat.

Is this right that a main dealer charges 13.5% and an independent garage charges 23%?
    Is yer man chancing his luck?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Got my car serviced with my local dealer and they charged 13.5% vat.
    Anyway talking to my friend and he got his car serviced by an independent garage and he was curious about the bill. He was charged 23% vat.

Is this right that a main dealer charges 13.5% and an independent garage charges 23%?
    Is yer man chancing his luck?

Think parts are 13.5 and services are 23? Could be very little labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

23 on parts and 13.5 on labour, no?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/supplies/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Stheno wrote: »
    Think parts are 13.5 and services are 23? Could be very little labour?

^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said

i would have assumed the other way round, parts; 23%, labour; 13.5%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Frynge wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said

i would have assumed the other way round, parts; 23%, labour; 13.5%

Yeah my mistake :)

So if the parts are the greater part of the bill, the vat is in total 23% if labour is the most then the vat is 13.5%.

Apologies, I'm forever mixing up those rates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Yeah my mistake :)

So if the parts are the greater part of the bill, the vat is in total 23% if labour is the most then the vat is 13.5%.

Apologies, I'm forever mixing up those rates :)

Learn something new everyday :)

That clears it up as mine was a standard service while my friend had a few things done to his.
    Cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The two thirds rule does not apply to the repair of motor vehicles or agricultural machinery.

All repair invoices should be charged out at 13.5% on labour and 13.5% on all parts except for tyres and batteries which are charged at 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

23 on parts and 13.5 on labour, no?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/supplies/index.html

vat on car repairs is @ 13.5% on the labour and parts

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/precedents/garage-repairs-and-maintenance.html

As per a revenue precedent.

So basically my friend should have been charged 13.5% on what was done on the car?
    If he got tyres and a battery he would have been charged 23% just on these two items.

So basically my friend should have been charged 13.5% on what was done on the car?
    If he got tyres and a battery he would have been charged 23% just on these two items.

Seems so from what GD and others have said?

Seems so from what GD and others have said?
    yeah seems be but i just want to be sure as my friend got a service and two tyres.
    And he said it was 23% overall charge which would be wrong?

• Advertisement

Yes your friend should have been charged 13.5% VAT on everything except the tyres.

Batteries, tyres and tyre tubes must be charged at 23%, everything else is 13.5%

Maybe your friend is mistaken and misinterpreted the invoice?

yeah seems be but i just want to be sure as my friend got a service and two tyres.

Should have been 23% on the tyres and perhaps the fitting?

13.5 on the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Should have been 23% on the tyres and perhaps the fitting?

13.5 on the rest?

23% on goods
    13.5% on labour

end of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

The two thirds rule does not apply to the repair of motor vehicles or agricultural machinery.
    All repair invoices should be charged out at 13.5% on labour and 13.5% on all parts except for tyres and batteries which are charged at 23%

Does that mean, that car parts and labour are necessities, but tyres and batteries are luxuries:D

bmstuff wrote: »
    23% on goods
    13.5% on labour

end of

So OPs friend was clearly overcharged then.

pred racer wrote: »
    Does that mean, that car parts and labour are necessities, but tyres and batteries are luxuries:D

How can mere mortals such as ourselves comprehend the thought process of the revenue commissioners?? :pac:

How can mere mortals such as ourselves comprehend the thought process of the revenue commissioners?? :pac:

The revenue apparently are just the enforcers/overseers, tis the government who make the strange rules :)

23% on goods
    13.5% on labour

end of

Not in this case. It is as already outlined in the thread.

The revenue apparently are just the enforcers/overseers, tis the government who make the strange rules :)

Exactly, so it is revenue that come up with the strange exceptions and precedents using some brand of logic that nobody else can understand....

Not in this case. It is as already outlined in the thread.

I don't know in this case, I have not seen the invoice, but this is the way it has to be invoiced.

• Advertisement

Exactly, so it is revenue that come up with the strange exceptions and precedents using some brand of logic that nobody else can understand....

It takes a warped mind :)

I don't know in this case, I have not seen the invoice, but this is the way it has to be invoiced.

Not according to revenue.

This exact scenario is actually dealt with on the revenue website:
    revenue.ie wrote:
    A car repair service is provided at the same time as the fitting of a set of tyres for a single consideration. As the supply of car tyres does not normally form part of a routine car service, the repair service and the supply of tyres would be regarded as a multiple supply. Both supplies are physically and economically dissociable from each other. In these circumstances the consideration should be apportioned so that the service is taxed at the reduced rate and the tyres at the standard rate.

So there you have it from the horses's mouth so to speak ;)

Link:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/mixed-supplies-goods-services.html

Maybe your friend is mistaken and misinterpreted the invoice?

I'll get onto him tommorrow and double check

This exact scenario is actually dealt with on the revenue website:

So there you have it from the horses's mouth so to speak ;)

Link:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/mixed-supplies-goods-services.html

Ok, the Revenue is saying this:
    In these circumstances the consideration should be apportioned so that the service is taxed at the reduced rate and the tyres at the standard rate.

What differs from our statements?
    Service at 13.5%
    Goods at 23%?

[/B]What differs from our statements?
    Service at 13.5%
    Goods at 23%?

Because you weren't referring to just tyres when you said........

Service at 13.5%
    Goods at 23%

:)

Price of fitting tyres is included in the price of the tyre, price of fitting say a balljoint or wheel bearing isn't.

Ok, the Revenue is saying this:
    In these circumstances the consideration should be apportioned so that the service is taxed at the reduced rate and the tyres at the standard rate.

What differs from our statements?
    Service at 13.5%
    Goods at 23%?

What about the parts used in the service; oil filter, oil, spark plugs etc? They are part of the service so the whole service is charged at 13.5% not 23%

If I am reading your posts correctly then you are saying they should be charged at 23% with just the labour at 13.5% This is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

so how come the ncts charge 23% vat when all they do is provide a service??

so how come the ncts charge 23% vat when all they do is provide a service??

The low rate only applies to vehicle maintenance or repair. The NCT is not maintenance/repair so is charged at the standard rate.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-00618.jsp

• Advertisement

What about the parts used in the service; oil filter, oil, spark plugs etc? They are part of the service so the whole service is charged at 13.5% not 23%

If I am reading your posts correctly then you are saying they should be charged at 23% with just the labour at 13.5% This is incorrect.

Yeah ok got you, but going through previous bills, they show different things too.
    Some show suspension parts changed and VAT at 13.5% both the service and the parts, while other invoices from other shops show suspension job done to another car, part billed at 23%, labour at 13.5
    I can see a recent set of tyres was charged at 23%, while the alignment itself was charged at 13.5%

I suppose this is not 100% clear for all the shops.

But really, the difference in rate between a tyre and a ball joint is ridiculous, they are both consumables and do wear overtime and need changing regularly.
    In my case, I need new rear tyres every 10.000 km.

Advertisement