Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THOMSON THT501-DVB digital TV tuner/digital player(recorder)

Options
  • 01-12-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a box to:
    - pickup Freeview (live in Monaghan so currently pick them all up)
    - pickup Saorview
    - record
    - play media
    - output sound to an amp

Can someone confirm the THOMSON THT501 will do this? A detailed spec can be found here.

Thanks, Barney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I'm not sure, there are more learned people here who will advise you.
    First link looks like freeview only second link looks like FTA but with antenna...

Anyway... I had a similiar thread and ended up going with the walker.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056820845

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks deegs.

I should say that I don't use sat as I get full Freeview listing via my UK tv aeriel and don't need an expensive combi box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the THOMSON THT501 will do this? A detailed spec can be found here.

Having a quick look at the spec it doesn't appear to have a DVB-T2 tuner for the FreeviewHD channels but may be OK for Saorview and the Freeview SD channels.

On that site when you select UK as the country the product is not displayed there so it may not have MHEG-5 software to display digital teletext or other red button interactive services.

Thanks 'The Cush'.

In the spec it says "Teletext, full multi-lingual DVB subtitling and audio track support". I assume this means it will provide text for the Freeview channels?

Is there any way of determining whether it will give me Saorview (other than taking the chance and buying it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless it's either "Freeview HD" or on the Saorview Certified list, don't bother.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Unless it's either "Freeview HD" or on the Saorview Certified list, don't bother.

The tech spec refers to "Excellent HD receiver with USB recording" so is that not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In the spec it says "Teletext, full multi-lingual DVB subtitling and audio track support". I assume this means it will provide text for the Freeview channels?

Is there any way of determining whether it will give me Saorview (other than taking the chance and buying it)?

Unless it has the MHEG-5 software on board it won't display Freeview or Saorview digital teletext only the traditional text carried on TV3/TG4.

The spec mentions AVC/H264HP@L4.1 video decoding, so it should work with the Saorview channels but can't confirm 100%.
    The tech spec refers to "Excellent HD receiver with USB recording" so is that not enough?

No, not without a DVB-T2 for the FreeviewHD channels. No mention of a T2 tuner in the specs.

Advertisement