Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any deals going?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks...

Well I havent done the big switch :)

I've been hoping to catch a few bargins or clearance saorview boxes after all the hype, but with christmas approaching and the missus on my back I gott pull the trigger and buy one.

I want HD saorview, FTA, record and media player(that can do divx/xvid) and am considering the Ferguson Ariva 150, but would rather aretel :(

Are there any stores, bricks and mortar or online, that have some good clearance stock that would suit my needs... I was gonna wait till Jan sales but HWSBO is putting the foot down!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I suppose this would be better suited to terrestrial would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly I suppose the questions to ask are:

1) Do you already have a dish and Saorview aerial? If you have a dish how many cables are between the dish and box?

What is your current provider setup and exact model of TV (details on the label on the back)

Also is recording and series linking important to you enough to sped 2 or 3 hundred extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Your looking for quite alot of spec for a bargin.
    From experiance the avira is not great go for something like the amiko 8820. Money wise just bite the bullet seriously

Yep, suppose I am :(

I'm just looking at the amiko, is there any real difference between the 2 boxes bar a tenner?
    Ariva about 113 and amiko about 125?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

deegs wrote: »
    Yep, suppose I am :(

I'm just looking at the amiko, is there any real difference between the 2 boxes bar a tenner?
    Ariva about 113 and amiko about 125?

The amiko is alot more refined and alot less troublesome, there is also plenty of different firmwares ect ect

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Firstly I suppose the questions to ask are:

1) Do you already have a dish and Saorview aerial? If you have a dish how many cables are between the dish and box?

What is your current provider setup and exact model of TV (details on the label on the back)

Also is recording and series linking important to you enough to sped 2 or 3 hundred extra?

Sorry man!! Dunno how I missed your post!

Yep have dish + aerial (i think).
    I have one cable between the dish and box (4 lnb but only using 2)

I have no provider, I've been using FTA for 7 years. My TV is a toshiba 1080 about 7 years old too, was good at the time and is still really sharp so reluctant to let go.

Yes series linking would be great, but Ideally I want to keep it below 100 (but happy to move up to the amiko/ariva price range if I must)

Thanks for replying!

How does the Triax TSC114 fare at 165?
    (all these prices are from ebay)

Or the Walker WP645TS-HD at 140?

Both of these are saorview approved but maybe 30 quid more expensive... is there anything else besides the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Saorview approval means the 8 day TV guide and new aertel works 100%. It also means it has been tested to work with other features such as RTE1+1 showing "not on until 7pm"

Most non approved boxes do not do all of these things. Approval is only for the Irish channels and has nothing to do with satellite.

I thought you got the 7 day epg with ariva and amiko?

I know the aertel thing doesnt work... but I reckon I can live with that.

Thanks

Actually lads....
    The walker is on offer at tvtrade.ie
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-combo-walker.html

Is this a good price and will the walker tick all my boxes? Seems too!

Edit: free delivery too... seems like a no brainer!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

did you buy the Walker combi box deegs?
    Would you rec it?

I did ya, it should be delivered today. It comes very highly reccommended and I hope to know after a few days now.

Advertisement