Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Options in Quin

Options
  • 30-11-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

What is the best broadband provider in Quinn village

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Eircom lines seem to be decent enough out there, there is some wireless provider that lots of people are on, name escapes me. Dunno if its bbnet, there was a co OP called quin online, don't know if they're still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

Thanks Colm,

Yea thought Eircom prob be the strongest, was trying to locate the nearest Eircom exchange. Will ring Eircom monday, not happy to pay for a up to 8mb download speeds (yet one could only achieve 2mb) there should be a pay scale where one only pays for the service they can provide in that area.

Also the sale pitch with unlimited download usage but yet capped at 250gb per month. Where is the advertising watchdog????

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not an ngb exchange, so you'd be paying for 1, 3 or 7mb far as I know (still the same price if not more expensive than the 8mb though. I seem to remember some lines being capable of 4mb out there.

Quin has its own exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Eircom broadband in Quin is dire I'm sorry to say. Speeds are atrocious and connection is constantly dropping. I live a few miles outside the village but I know 2 people living in estates there and it's just as bad. But it's the only option out there. We had the wireless broadband before Eircom and it was worse.

Eircom broadband in Quin is dire I'm sorry to say. Speeds are atrocious and connection is constantly dropping. I live a few miles outside the village but I know 2 people living in estates there and it's just as bad. But it's the only option out there. We had the wireless broadband before Eircom and it was worse.

A commuter village close to Shannon - Limerick - Ennis to have this service is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

A commuter village close to Shannon - Limerick - Ennis to have this service is a disgrace.

Heh, you seem to be assuming conditions are better in Ennis and Shannon. In many parts, they are just as bad if not worse. There are still estates in Ennis and Clarecastle I know of that cannot get ANY broadband, total black spots where mobile reception is too bad for the dongles and that the phone lines are so old they won't handle it either so people have NO broadband.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Heh, you seem to be assuming conditions are better in Ennis and Shannon. In many parts, they are just as bad if not worse. There are still estates in Ennis and Clarecastle I know of that cannot get ANY broadband, total black spots where mobile reception is too bad for the dongles and that the phone lines are so old they won't handle it either so people have NO broadband.

Now that is bad, but yet Eircom bill you for 8mb download, no price plan for what your only capable of getting. For a service industry, they provide no customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Now that is bad, but yet Eircom bill you for 8mb download, no price plan for what your only capable of getting. For a service industry, they provide no customer service

All the broadband providers in Ireland are horrible.

I have lived in a few different counties and throughout the years have had almost every single form of broadband and provider out there and I have had issues of one kind or another with every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 boulas

There is wireless provider called BB net. I think they might be available in Quinn. I used them in Sixmilebridge for couple years and never had any major problems. They are local company so it's much easier to get in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

i use vodafone , it is way better than ripplecom which is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

its not that bad in quin , i have a 3mb line from eircom and to be fair it never dropped below 2.5 mb in the last nearly 2 years now , although its expensive for that speed

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

its not that bad in quin , i have a 3mb line from eircom and to be fair it never dropped below 2.5 mb in the last nearly 2 years now , although its expensive for that speed

SpannerMonkey,

I'm in the village and with Vodafone and connection speeds are rubbish in the evening/night. Currently getting well under 1mb and can't watch anything on youtube.

Speed is shown here - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2436511515.png

Do you notice any drop in speed with Eircom in the evenings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

I am using Ripplecom since it took over Quin Online. In Ripplecom early days their service was very poor, however, theyhad made some upgrades to their backbone recently and service and speeds have improved greatly.

Pros
    Reliable (In the last year)
    Reasonable support
    Good enough for quality VoIP (Blueface)
    Aver Speed 3-4mb
    Static IP address if required.

Cons
    Cost. At shy of 50e per month for a supposed 8mb service, it is a rip off.
    Lately they have imposed a 70GB cap on usage. Easy to burst when you have 4 people using broadband via phones, tablets and laptops
    Needs LOS to get a good service.

Regs

slayer91 wrote: »
    I am using Ripplecom since it took over Quin Online. In Ripplecom early days their service was very poor, however, theyhad made some upgrades to their backbone recently and service and speeds have improved greatly.

Pros
    Reliable (In the last year)
    Reasonable support
    Good enough for quality VoIP (Blueface)
    Aver Speed 3-4mb
    Static IP address if required.

Cons
    Cost. At shy of 50e per month for a supposed 8mb service, it is a rip off.
    Lately they have imposed a 70GB cap on usage. Easy to burst when you have 4 people using broadband via phones, tablets and laptops
    Needs LOS to get a good service.

Regs

Thanks for the reply.

I was with ripplecom a few years back and then moved to eircom, then tried ripplecom for a week before going to vodafone over a year ago. Wasn't at all happy with Ripplecom at the time and after talking to a few others who were with them, I cancelled my account (with some hassle) due to lack of service - so not going there again :)

Will have to wait until 4g comes in later this year and hopefully we will get a bit of a boost even up to 3g in the village!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnburton9

adsw wrote: »
    SpannerMonkey,

I'm in the village and with Vodafone and connection speeds are rubbish in the evening/night. Currently getting well under 1mb and can't watch anything on youtube.

Speed is shown here - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2436511515.png

Do you notice any drop in speed with Eircom in the evenings ?

I'm also with Vodafone and notice the exact same drops in speed in the evening. I was onto tech support several times who said the drop shouldn't be so bad but despite going through all the usual line checks, turning off WiFi, connecting directly to modem via wired connection, etc. I haven't had much joy. They said it could be the modem but I've also tried with a neighbours modem and had the same issues. So I'm looking for an alternative broadband provider but the options are extremely limited. If you come across any better alternatives, I'd appreciate if you could let me know. I'm also in the village. Vodafone uses Eircoms infrastructure so I'd be surprised if there were much difference in the evenings with Eircom.

I'm also with Vodafone and notice the exact same drops in speed in the evening. I was onto tech support several times who said the drop shouldn't be so bad but despite going through all the usual line checks, turning off WiFi, connecting directly to modem via wired connection, etc. I haven't had much joy. They said it could be the modem but I've also tried with a neighbours modem and had the same issues. So I'm looking for an alternative broadband provider but the options are extremely limited. If you come across any better alternatives, I'd appreciate if you could let me know. I'm also in the village. Vodafone uses Eircoms infrastructure so I'd be surprised if there were much difference in the evenings with Eircom.

I rang Vodafone last week and same result as you above. I work in IT, so know what I'm at with routers etc... so knew there was no problem here on my end. I rang around 4 in the afternoon when speeds were good enough (over 2MB) and they tested the line and could find no issues. Just a congestion issue in the evenings. Will have to wait until Eircom upgrade the exchange here in Quin !!!!!!!!

Folks a good option below, a mate of mine has it and is getting a steady 10-12gb on option KBO L

http://www.kbo.ie/index.php/residential-broadband/

installation costs are a bit high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

At the advertised rate of 20Mb/s how long do you think it would take to hit the traffic limit (upload+download) of 20GBs? ...... maybe 2 hours?

(maybe my approximate calculations are wrong?)

on this package there is unlimited download / upload between 11pm and 7am.

Personally 20gb would do me for browsing and streaming, for all my downloads i can download between 11pm and 7am

need to find a way to get out of contract with VF

Jesus, I thought Ripplecom were a rip off.
    20gb allowance and they monitor and throttle your speed according to the volume of data download on the previous hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

I find bbnet brilliant. Great service & price.

Can you tell us more about bbnet. Are you living in Quin village. What are the speeds like?
    Regs

L

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Is it generally not just down to whatever your line can take? Until Eircom upgrade the exchanges that is. Sky do broadband now as well. Ranges from €30 to €57.50 per month depending on where you live and what kinda package you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Well, I'm in east Clare. I think bbnet is in sixmilebridge. I only get 2mg but on that I watch films, download music/films etc. Service is great & they always seem to be upgrading. You can get higher mg for more money. Depends on what you want. Hth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

Considering a move to Quin in the very near future. How's broadband these days?

blue note wrote: »

The exchange still hasn't been upgraded here in Quin so fixed line broadband is still fairly slow.

I'm on o2 mobile broadband now and can get a 3G signal in in one room, where I can then broadcast around the rest of the house. This is only available in certain areas in Quin - take a look at the o2 maps on their website. 3 Mobile and Vodafone mobile are now good around here, only a 2G signal.

There is Ripplecom wireless but I have experienced problems with them in the past, I've heard others recently have had more luck.

KBO satellite broadband is an option as per a previous post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

blue note wrote: »

the whole village has a whopping 8 Megabit backhaul...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87801186&postcount=82

And I'd believe it, it's pretty much unusable from Eircom. But it's so bad that they have to be upgrading it soon and that's what some KN network guys told me, though it might take ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm on Sky wireless broadband, it's pretty poor too though. Line speeds vary, but for the most part they are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 walls2

I have the Ripplecom 8mb home phone package. Costs about €55/month. 70gb DL allowance. Good service. Avg DL speeds of 3-6mb. Upload 1meg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bringastick

Hi,
    I'm in the Ballyhickey area outside quin. Eircom broadband is also pathetic here, download speed an average of 0.16. I've wasted about 10 hours on the phone to them and they've concluded that it's as good as we'll get because we share the line... I asked if we could share the bill with all those people too but no luck!
    So sick of it now, bought a smart tv (silly me) when we originally got the broadband, it worked ok for a while but in last 7 months it's been really dire. Netflix reloads every 30 seconds etc.
    So I've contacted ripplecom, haven't heard back, will try this kbo crowd next and and bb broadband. Anyone else in ballyhickey area?
    Dongles aren't an option as we rarely have either 02 or Vodafone reception...

Advertisement