Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many marathons very bad for you!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

:eek: I hope you're kidding.

Unfortunately not. Running has marginal impact on elevated cholesterol levels. Many runners assume that they never need to get it checked but find out later in life they have had high cholesterol all during their running lives :P
    Personally have been on them for over 15years along with fish oil. Running only helps very modestly unfortunately. Its no panacea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

i008787 wrote: »
    Many people over 50 who are running should also be on statins.
    Your post is worded in a manner that would seem to make a connection between high cholestrol and running, where I assume you did not mean to. What you probably meant to say was:
    Many people over 50 should also be on statins. Some of them may be runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Your post is worded in a manner that would seem to make a connection between high cholestrol and running

Yes, that's exactly how I read it.
    Krusty's alternative explanation makes a lot more sense to me.

Yes, that's exactly how I read it.
    Krusty's alternative explanation makes a lot more sense to me.

:) Yes of course your right. My wording was a little unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

This is the guy who wrote the original paper from the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Jesus I want to punch this guy, hard in the face. His style wrecks my head

TRR wrote: »
    Jesus I want to punch this guy, hard in the face. His style wrecks my head

Yes, I took an immediate dislike to him. So smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

Yes, I took an immediate dislike to him. So smug.

Dont shoot the messenger. He knows what he is talking about. Its a BIG eye opener. Simply put 60mins 2/3 times a week. Marathons equal scarring. I think we should watch the video a few times as the message seems clear to me:)

• Advertisement

Dont shoot the messenger. He knows what he is talking about. Its a BIG eye opener. Simply put 60mins 2/3 times a week. Marathons equal scarring. I think we should watch the video a few times as the message seems clear to me:)

Well he's not really the messenger, he's talking about his own research. In any case, I don't believe or disbelieve him. There is far too much conflicting information out there that I'd prefer to go my own way. I know one for definite though, whether I run fast, sow or not at all I will die at some stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Unfortunately not. Running has marginal impact on elevated cholesterol levels. Many runners assume that they never need to get it checked but find out later in life they have had high cholesterol all during their running lives :P
    Personally have been on them for over 15years along with fish oil. Running only helps very modestly unfortunately. Its no panacea.

Neither fish oil nor statins are a panacea either.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/panacea

and looking at some of the side effects of statins, I think I'd prefer to run a marathon.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/statin-side-effects/MY00205

All medicines carry a risk but if one has high cholesterol often it needs a statin regardless of whether one has good diet and exercises. Funny thing is the newest statin the so called gorilla statin rosuvastatin works on even 1mg dose [30% ldl reduction]. A truly amazing statin.

All medicines carry a risk but if one has high cholesterol often it needs a statin regardless of whether one has good diet and exercises. Funny thing is the newest statin the so called gorilla statin rosuvastatin works on even 1mg dose [30% ldl reduction]. A truly amazing statin.

ok, I thought you were encouraging the use of statins in runners and O-50's, if not then the original statement becomes:
    Many people over 50 may be on statins. Some of them may be runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Has ray lanigan seen this thread? Someone better give him a call!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

rom wrote: »
    This is the guy who wrote the original paper from the OP.

And his research didn't extend as far as the fact that Pheidippides didn't collapse dead at the emperor's throne, because Athens was a republic. I stopped watching at that point...

(There are a few versions of that story, one has him running 40km and dying, another has him running 250km in a day and a half and not dying.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ciaranmac wrote: »
    And his research didn't extend as far as the fact that Pheidippides didn't collapse dead at the emperor's throne, because Athens was a republic. I stopped watching at that point...

(There are a few versions of that story, one has him running 40km and dying, another has him running 250km in a day and a half and not dying.)

Yes watched a documentary on the BBC before and they said that Pheidippides may not have collapsed dead at the end of that run as there is mention of him in subsequent writings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

accordin to garminicus it was 235k,but polarisisemus disputes this and reckons it was more like 39km,and as it was a commercial war and not permitted by the spartan athlethics assoc , it dosent count

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He definitely died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He definitely died.

Don't think so. He's been spotted doing a tempo session in Vagas recently where he works as a bike messenger.

• Advertisement

Good article here: http://impruvism.com/athletes-heart-1/
    Athlete’s Heart: Why Bigger is Not Always Better, or Worse
    What doesn’t kill you does not always make you stronger.
    But it doesn’t necessarily make you weaker, either.
    At least when it comes to exercise and your heart.
    Most data indicates that in the short-term, exercise doesn’t cause heart damage, even if it makes your heart a little tired.
    However, this doesn’t tell us how it affects your heart in the long-term.
    In this article, we’ll look at one of the last stages of the cardiotoxicity cycle — how exercise changes your heart over time, and how these changes affect your health.

Advertisement