Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitted suspension kit to rear,its now higher?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

As above, bought a suspension cup kit, got rear done today but it's exactly the same if not a touch higher... Wtf like? Anythin im missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Did you fit the kit all round ? Are the springs in the right side up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

tossy wrote: »
    Did you fit the kit all round ? Are the springs in the right side up ?

No just the rear today, I presume they are right way up, my mechanic would do a lot of this kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Whats the make and model of the car are you sure everything is fitted correctly. Secondly have you drove the car since its being fitted as you need to drive it to let the suspension settle on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yeah, it will take a few days or the suspension to settle down.

burke027 wrote: »
    Whats the make and model of the car are you sure everything is fitted correctly. Secondly have you drove the car since its being fitted as you need to drive it to let the suspension settle on the car.

Mk5 gti. Well my mechanic did it so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to do it properly? Ya I've driven a bit but not very far, how much would it normally settle? It'll be getting ripped out and thrown in the bin if it doesn't settle down ALOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I don't think it will settle if it looks way off, something is wrong.

I don't think it will settle if it looks way off, something is wrong.

Well it looks standard gti suspension like, its not 4x4 territory lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

i lowered my 5 series a few weeks aback and it is only settling now. find a bumpy road and drive hard enough over it might help a bit

i lowered my 5 series a few weeks aback and it is only settling now. find a bumpy road and drive hard enough over it might help a bit

That long? OK so ill give it a go!
    How much roughly did it settle down if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

It's not going to look right until you fit matching suspension all round,not to mention the rear is now going to have handling characteristics that don't match and probably out handle the front.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    It's not going to look right until you fit matching suspension all round,not to mention the rear is now going to have handling characteristics that don't match and probably out handle the front.

Cheers tossy.
    Right ill get it all fitted and go from there. The back feels more solid, does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

put a bag of coal or two in the boot that will lower it for you ;)

navara man wrote: »
    put a bag of coal or two in the boot that will lower it for you ;)

Well i only tried it as i got it on an insane special offer so its not gonna cost me much if i wanna bin it, but still i cant believe how its turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Pink Qashqai !

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Was the kit definitely for a gti if not possibly then it would not lower an already factory lowered car.

enumbers wrote: »
    Was the kit definitely for a gti if not possibly then it would not lower an already factory lowered car.

Ya i asked them that and they said it would lower 40mm on top of the factory lowering. But if im not happy ill just sell it to someone and get a h&r cup kit or somethin. Maybe even coilovers. I'll see how it goes anyway. I just couldn't believe my eyes, some shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

Front spring fitted into the rear? Seen it done before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Why did you only get the rears fitted?

scooters wrote: »
    Front spring fitted into the rear? Seen it done before!

Quite possibly, ill be talking to the lad that fitted them later now so i'll say it :)
    dar83 wrote: »
    Why did you only get the rears fitted?

Because ryan told me to come up and get it done, halfway through he had to leave, will be fitting the front soon. Would it make a difference only having the rears done in relation to why its sitting so high?

Before:
    IMAG0569.jpg

After:
    IMAG0576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If they're supposed to drop it 40mm then I doubt it's a settling issue alone. The guys are right with what they've said re: settling, but for that kind of a drop you should be seeing a drop already on standard and the settling would be a small amount on that again.

Wait until the fronts are on it as well to judge it properly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

From the pic, there seems to be a bit of a drop there already but not alot. Its not going to give you 40mm extra that for sure.

dar83 wrote: »
    If they're supposed to drop it 40mm then I doubt it's a settling issue alone. The guys are right with what they've said re: settling, but for that kind of a drop you should be seeing a drop already on standard and the settling would be a small amount on that again.

Wait until the fronts are on it as well to judge it properly though.
    mickdw wrote: »
    From the pic, there seems to be a bit of a drop there already but not alot. Its not going to give you 40mm extra that for sure.

Ya ill bang on the fronts, wait a week or two and if im not happy i'll save up for some proper suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Are you sure it's not 40mm on a standard golf? The gti could be 30mm lower from the factory.

The cupkit I got for the Leon was for lowering them 35mm but as mine was the fr model it was 15mm lower from the factory so the kit only lowered it 20mm

sean1141 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not 40mm on a standard golf? The gti could be 30mm lower from the factory.

The cupkit I got for the Leon was for lowering them 35mm but as mine was the fr model it was 15mm lower from the factory so the kit only lowered it 20mm

Yes that crossed my mind alright, so I found a u.s website selling them that had an online chat option asked them, they confirmed it should drop between 30-40mm on top of the already lower gti setup

Could I just buy some eibach sport line springs or h&r springs to use with the fk dampers?

Lads on mk5gti.co.uk think i bought the wrong kit.... ****sticks! Anyone got a regular mk5 that needs lowering?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Putting on tyres with a bit of meat on them would fill the gap too and achieve the same thing. They look too short on the sidewalls, like an aftermarket job.

But yeah you certainly seem to have a kit for a Mk5 std Golf. I would be wary about buying from or listening to US sellers on such things as US spec "imports" frequently have different (higher) suspension due to their appalling roads, onramps with huge "humps" and those insane bump stop things in parking bays.

Most Euro cars over there run on what could be called "lift kits" compared to original, correct heights.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Putting on tyres with a bit of meat on them would fill the gap too and achieve the same thing. They look too short on the sidewalls, like an aftermarket job.

But yeah you certainly seem to have a kit for a Mk5 std Golf. I would be wary about buying from or listening to US sellers on such things as US spec "imports" frequently have different (higher) suspension due to their appalling roads, onramps with huge "humps" and those insane bump stop things in parking bays.

Most Euro cars over there run on what could be called "lift kits" compared to original, correct heights.

Cheers man your right.
    I had a feeling it was too good to be true but feck it like, wasn't dear.

Thinking just h&r springs for now as my shocks are in decent condition.

Then save for proper suspension, kW, bilstein or something like that.

I don't want it slammed but I don't want a gap in the wheel arch either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Id say leave it a couple of days, it may not be -40 but it is something. Also ensure you have the same amount of fuel in it for the before and after photos! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

gollywog wrote: »
    Cheers man your right.
    I had a feeling it was too good to be true but feck it like, wasn't dear.

Thinking just h&r springs for now as my shocks are in decent condition.

Then save for proper suspension, kW, bilstein or something like that.

I don't want it slammed but I don't want a gap in the wheel arch either

LOL ya clown.......

If I was you, I'd wait and do it properly when funds allow, what you're spending on suspension now could be spent elsewhere like upgraded pads, braided brake lines or even a few nice pints!

Advertisement