Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monk opens fire on Department of Education

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Evidence?

Having given up history in 2nd year in secondary school, it's certainly been years since I've seen anything good or bad. The last book I read from was, so far as I recall, Modern Ireland since 1850 which I believe was one of the approved LC texts. Are you aware of anything specifically wrong with this book?

That said, I do remember reading stuff touted as history books in fifth and sixth class in primary school -- all containing lavish descriptions of the penury, but muted glory, of the Irish and the endless perfidy of the English -- and even at the tender age of what I suppose must have been nine or ten, sniffing a very large rat.

Rarely teach Modern Ireland but have listened to the rants from colleagues who do about that particular text book as not only being biased but containing factual inaccuracies. I did read son's copy and it really is awful.

Have had the displeasure of reading some of the Early Modern text books and the Reformation stuff is appalling - Luther very bad man who dared to criticize Rome, Calvin very bad man who jumped on Luther's bandwagon. How very dare they say Rome was corrupt. Ohhhh - Look at this lovely ceiling Michelangelo did.

As for the Early Modern Irish history - it appears that Gaelic Irishmen* existed in some Celtic twilight zone until called into existence only to oppose the perfidious English who were trying to make them all Protestant.
    Hiram Morgan is slowly rewriting the text books on the Irish bit but it's only just slowly coming on-line as part of the curriculum now.

*There were no Gaelic Irishwomen apart from a stroppy bint in Mayo with a strangely English name who was a pirate queen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Have had the displeasure of reading some of the Early Modern text books and the Reformation stuff is appalling - Luther very bad man who dared to criticize Rome, Calvin very bad man who jumped on Luther's bandwagon. How very dare they say Rome was corrupt. Ohhhh - Look at this lovely ceiling Michelangelo did.

Eh? Only took it up to JC but we never had that slant on things
    Must have been a better textbook
    I didn't go to a catholic school either :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eh? Only took it up to JC but we never had that slant on things
    Must have been a better textbook
    I didn't go to a catholic school either :p

Which may or may not explain a lot....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah, just occurred to me at the end so I threw it in
    it would be mad if that was the thing and it's slanted everywhere else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] his thoughts on education in a book to be published next March:
    Turns out the book has been published already for anybody interested:

http://www.glenstal.org/shop/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Turns out the book has been published already for anybody interested:

http://www.glenstal.org/shop/

Veritas have it as well, although it's 4c dearer.

http://www.veritasbooksonline.com/the-boy-in-the-bubble.html

Might pick up a copy. I heard Hederman speak on Marian Finucane a couple of months ago, and was quite impressed with what he had to say about education here.

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

He was on Newstalk this morning, his suggestions for education sounded very like Ken Robinson's ideas for reforming education.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement