Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

I found the tablet great for the likes of zombiiu and windwaker, where it was used for inventory or maps. If the resolution was higher and you could connect more than one, it would have been amazing for local multiplayer. It's surprisingly comfortable for the size too.

Forgot to add - the greatest pro controller of all time. Battery life only rivalled by the original DS

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Super Mario Maker made possibly the best use of the gamepad. Designing levels was so intuitive, quick and easy.

We'll never know how BOTW could have used it, I think it could have been great too, but if the Switch couldn't have it, then nobody else could. They didn't even put out a Collector's Edition on Wii U, their biggest and best game, it was a proper middle finger to Wii U owners. When you think of some of the other tripe that got bundles. It was dropped from all promotion once the Switch port was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did they ever give a way to turn off the screen? I'm playing Bayonetta 2 at the moment and while I keep the screen out of my eyeline most of the time, I'm sometimes distracted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Did they ever give a way to turn off the screen? I'm playing Bayonetta 2 at the moment and while I keep the screen out of my eyeline most of the time, I'm sometimes distracted

Hammer ? :)

sligeach wrote: »
    Super Mario Maker made possibly the best use of the gamepad. Designing levels was so intuitive, quick and easy.

We'll never know how BOTW could have used it, I think it could have been great too, but if the Switch couldn't have it, then nobody else could. They didn't even put out a Collector's Edition on Wii U, their biggest and best game, it was a proper middle finger to Wii U owners. When you think of some of the other tripe that got bundles. It was dropped from all promotion once the Switch port was announced.

The biggest middle finger of all is all the switch ports of the first party games. Ive Mario kart, tropical freeze, Bayonetta and Mario Bros all on wiiu and not a hope will I spend another 180 euros to buy the games on switch.

It's great that they are available to such a new audience, but it has also meant that there's zero incentive for them to produce another Mario kart or DK game for another few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

uchimata83 wrote: »
    The biggest middle finger of all is all the switch ports of the first party games. Ive Mario kart, tropical freeze, Bayonetta and Mario Bros all on wiiu and not a hope will I spend another 180 euros to buy the games on switch.

It's great that they are available to such a new audience, but it has also meant that there's zero incentive for them to produce another Mario kart or DK game for another few years

You can still play those games though? I never get this criticism to be honest. It affects zero anyone playing those games on Wii U. Mario Kart Deluxe's sales on Switch shows exactly why they released it. Were they not supposed to do this because some, and only some, Wii U owners might be cranky about it?

Maybe in 2020 these can finally move on and let go :P

Corholio wrote: »
    You can still play those games though? I never get this criticism to be honest. It affects zero anyone playing those games on Wii U. Mario Kart Deluxe's sales on Switch shows exactly why they released it. Were they not supposed to do this because some, and only some, Wii U owners might be cranky about it?

That's a fair point, I love Mario kart 8, got LTD edition on launch and got the dlc too, so all in all probably 90 euros or so spent on it.

From my point of view, it's coming up on three years since the launch and still no new Mario kart title, do you think this would have happened had they not ported the exact same game to switch? Unlikely, and we'd be playing Mario kart 9 by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I would have thought with the wiiu being a massive flop, that the ports of good games to a successful system would be the obvious choice for a company that wants to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I played a good 80% of all my Wii U game time on the gamepad only as we only have the one telly in the house. It was a fantastic device at the time. Had it’s limitations yes but for people like me it worked well.

It went unplayed for about 2 years there while I caught up on PS4 stuff. Great to see the kids getting use out of it now. They ****in love super Mario 3D World especially when they have a friend or two over for more players. Hectic stupidity. Helps that it’s a fabulous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I played a good 80% of all my Wii U game time on the gamepad only as we only have the one telly in the house. It was a fantastic device at the time. Had it’s limitations yes but for people like me it worked well.

It went unplayed for about 2 years there while I caught up on PS4 stuff. Great to see the kids getting use out of it now. They ****in love super Mario 3D World especially when they have a friend or two over for more players. Hectic stupidity. Helps that it’s a fabulous game.

Mine has also gotten a new lease of life with my 9yr old daughter and 8 yr old neighbour playing mari oworld, kart, zelda, smash etc. Saying that I still have a rake of games to play on it myself.

• Advertisement

uchimata83 wrote: »
    That's a fair point, I love Mario kart 8, got LTD edition on launch and got the dlc too, so all in all probably 90 euros or so spent on it.

From my point of view, it's coming up on three years since the launch and still no new Mario kart title, do you think this would have happened had they not ported the exact same game to switch? Unlikely, and we'd be playing Mario kart 9 by now

It's usually a fair gap between console Mario Karts anyway though, 6 years between Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8. The last one was so good there's not an obvious big change in a new title either.

It's usually a fair gap between console Mario Karts anyway though, 6 years between Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8. The last one was so good there's not an obvious big change in a new title either.

The wii's lifespan was probably beyond what was expected, and even at 6 years, we would be due a new release now, instead we got a mobile game. Anyway, its probably a discussion for another thread.

I think they will create Mario kart maker or VR next. The current iteration/design is pretty much maxed out at this stage. So, I think it'll appear on a more powerful switch after botw 2 to keep Sony and Microsoft at bay.

I

I'll never let it go. They've devalued the Wii U versions of games by releasing the Switch versions. Not just that, but let's go with MK8D seeing as you mentioned it. They knew the Battle Mode was a steaming pile of $h1t on Wii U, they could have fixed it, but didn't, deliberately held it back for the Switch port. Even Tweeted about it, paraphrasing "Good things come to those who wait". And pay another €60, you forgot that bit Nintendo. Could have let Wii U owners have it as well, but no chance of that happening, it would defeat its purpose. Poor broke Nintendo, eh, they only sold something like more than 8,000,000 copies of the game on Wii U and the money for the DLC.

But there’s more, the game is 6 years old in May. There's no sign of a new game coming and there's never been 2 new Mario Kart's on the one system. A new game would cannibalise sales of MK8D. It could be a decade before the next one. I have a problem with how Nintendo price these games too and in general. They did relatively little and charged full price. I was buying PS4 games as presents at Christmas and I was amazed at the value to be had there. Top games reduced to around €20 and relatively new. I know, I know, Nintendo's titles are evergreen sellers. But eventually sales slow down and still the prices remain high.

Edit: I'll put it like this, people are so dismissive of Wii U owners, but we were the hardcore fans that stood by Nintendo. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but they treated us like dirt. BOTW, the last first party Wii U game, only its biggest and best, stripped of any specific functionality, went out with not so much as a whimper. When you think of turds like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, the box and all the amiibo spawn.

Imagine if the next platform launches with MK8DD, and you don’t get a new MK for another generation again, €60, because, you know, Nintendo. It's OK though, because it's a good game, and some new people won't have experienced it yet, and they've added multi-storey Kart parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I'll never let it go. They've devalued the Wii U versions of games by releasing the Switch versions. Not just that, but let's go with MK8D seeing as you mentioned it. They knew the Battle Mode was a steaming pile of $h1t on Wii U, they could have fixed it, but didn't, deliberately held it back for the Switch port. Even Tweeted about it, paraphrasing "Good things come to those who wait". And pay another €60, you forgot that bit Nintendo. Could have let Wii U owners have it as well, but no chance of that happening, it would defeat its purpose. Poor broke Nintendo, eh, they only sold something like more than 8,000,000 copies of the game on Wii U and the money for the DLC.

But there’s more, the game is 6 years old in May. There's no sign of a new game, there's no sign of a new one coming, there's never been 2 Mario Karts on the one system. A new game would cannibalise sales of MK8D. It could be a decade before the next one. I have a problem with how Nintendo price these games too and in general. They did relatively little and charged full price. I was buying PS4 games as presents at Christmas and I was amazed at the value to be had there. Top games reduced to around €20 and relatively new. I know, I know, Nintendo's titles are evergreen sellers. But eventually sales slow down and still the prices remain high.

Jaysus sligeach ports devaluing the wiiu versions shouldnt be a reason to be bitter. The additions to switch mario kart 8 were likely made to distingush it from the wiiu version. And making video games takes 2 to 3 years nintendo put time and money into a making a video game, why wouldnt they re release the game on switch and miss out on all that extra cash from a bigger audience? I think you are forgetting nintendo is first and foremost a business and the aim of any business is to make money. The switch has supassed sales of the wiiu which flopped. So it makes sense from a companys perspective for a game with 2 -3 yr dev time that was on a flop, to re release on a successful console an recoop that dev time and profit

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I

But there’s more, the game is 6 years old in May. There's no sign of a new game coming and there's never been 2 new Mario Kart's on the one system. A new game would cannibalise sales of MK8D. It could be a decade before the next one. I have a problem with how Nintendo price these games too and in general. They did relatively little and charged full price. I was buying PS4 games as presents at Christmas and I was amazed at the value to be had there. Top games reduced to around €20 and relatively new. I know, I know, Nintendo's titles are evergreen sellers. But eventually sales slow down and still the prices remain high.

Edit: I'll put it like this, people are so dismissive of Wii U owners, but we were the hardcore fans that stood by Nintendo. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but they treated us like dirt. BOTW, the last first party Wii U game, only its biggest and best, stripped of any specific functionality, went out with not so much as a whimper. When you think of turds like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, the box and all the amiibo spawn.

Imagine if the next platform launches with MK8DD, and you don’t get a new MK for another generation again, €60, because, you know, Nintendo. It's OK though, because it's a good game, and some new people won't have experienced it yet, and they've added multi-storey Kart parking.
    I see you still have the ol chip on the shoulder, that's a shame I'd love if you were making mario maker 2 levels for us to play.
    Do you STILL not have a switch? If not what are you playing these days?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So.... don't buy a Switch, or whatever the next Switch is.

The Nintendo tax is nothing new, and porting the successful games from the Wii U to the Switch is the only realistic approach given the colossal failure of the Wii U and the resultant accelerated timeline of the Switch release - game development for a new platform rubs for multiple years, and with a hard deadline for the Switch release, the realistic choices were ports or a barren release schedule (which would be suicidal for a new platform).

Nobody owes you exclusivity of games released on the Wii U, and acting otherwise will just make you appear an entitles nitwit. I get and agree that it's frustrating, much like I agree that not getting Mario Kart fixes backported to the Wii U is harsh, but it is what it is. As for "being the hardcore fans who supported Nintendo" - well, you bought stuff and got stuff. It wasn't as good as you wanted it to be, but this sort of thing is part and parcel of being an early adopter.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to rein in your support of Nintendo and refrain from being an early adopter in future.

If the next Nintendo console tries to release another do-over of MK8DD, I wont be buying it. Much like I've skipped NSMBD, or any other game I'm not interested in. You seem to think Nintendo owe you something in this regard, but they don't. The deal is, they release hardware and offer games for it. Buy them, or don't buy them. Anything else is setting yourself up to be disappointed.

SHAKEDOWN: HAWAII GETS A WII U ESRB RATING
    Switch_ShakedownHawaii_01.jpg

https://gonintendo.com/stories/353256-shakedown-hawaii-gets-a-wii-u-esrb-rating

Nice one. I presume Europe will get it as well.

YOUTUBE ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR WIIU BROWSER WILL BE ENDING SOON

https://nintendosoup.com/youtube-announces-support-for-wiiu-browser-will-be-ending-soon/

I assume you'll still be able to watch Youtube videos on the web browser and it's just the Youtube app on the Wii U that is closing. I never liked it, you were far better off watching videos through the web browser.

Edit: Nope, damn, it affects the web browser as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is a wii u worth getting these days?
    The one console that I never had, played or even seen in real life to be honest. I hear it was hacked so that might be a bonus feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Is a wii u worth getting these days?
    The one console that I never had, played or even seen in real life to be honest. I hear it was hacked so that might be a bonus feature.

100%, criminally underrated, and can be picked up for peanuts now. Games can be bought dirt cheap from CEX or if GameStop still have some left in their 4 for €20 deal.

baldshin wrote: »
    100%, criminally underrated, and can be picked up for peanuts now. Games can be bought dirt cheap from CEX or if GameStop still have some left in their 4 for €20 deal.

Cheers. How much is a fair price for a wii u, you reckon?

(Makesure you get a working gamepad )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Cheers. How much is a fair price for a wii u, you reckon?

Privately, on Adverts or Donedeal, you should be able to pick one up for €80 or so, maybe with some games. Otherwise, CEX have them from €80 up with a warranty.

I'd say GameStop will clear out of their pre-owned ones soon for cheap, since they're clearing out the games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Privately, on Adverts or Donedeal, you should be able to pick one up for €80 or so, maybe with some games. Otherwise, CEX have them from €80 up with a warranty.

I'd say GameStop will clear out of their pre-owned ones soon for cheap, since they're clearing out the games now.

8 gb is probably fine unless you plan on downloading games. I've a 32gb and DK Tropical freeze and a few Indies have it practically full. You can add extra storage via USB

Cheers.
    I see a basic white 8gb console for 80 on CEX and same type for 90 on GameStop.

I also see a seemingly same "Wii U 8GB Basic Pack White" for 95 euro on CEX. One says discounted the other does not. I assume the discounted one means some wear and tear right?

As is always the case, check if there are games on it you want? Like some have been ported to Switch while a few are only on Wii U for now, like Mario 3d World and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I do still use my Wii U

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As is always the case, check if there are games on it you want? Like some have been ported to Switch while a few are only on Wii U for now, like Mario 3d World and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I do still use my Wii U

Thanks. I'd probably end up buying a few games I wanted and then using an SD card from what I read online haha.

Anyone recommend any games? Always wanted a Wii u and the prices are right. So not is the time.

Off the top of my head that super Mario brothers Wii u is the one I want to play the most. That and Mario kart and super Mario maker.

• Advertisement

2 questions: Do/did you have a Wii or do you have a Switch?

Advertisement