Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2013

Options
  • 29-11-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am new to cycling having started in April of this year. I did the Wicklow 100 in June and have been out on the bike pretty much every weekend since but the W100 remains the only Sportif I have done.

I want to do more sportives in 2013, ideally one a month from Februrary on. Where can I find a list of sportives for 2013?

Also I am Dublin based so would be looking for Leinster Sportives although I would like to give the Ring of Kerry a go in July.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd be interested in this also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daddymac

Grand stuff, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

daddymac wrote: »
    I am new to cycling having started in April of this year. I did the Wicklow 100 in June and have been out on the bike pretty much every weekend since but the W100 remains the only Sportif I have done.

I want to do more sportives in 2013, ideally one a month from Februrary on. Where can I find a list of sportives for 2013?

Also I am Dublin based so would be looking for Leinster Sportives although I would like to give the Ring of Kerry a go in July.

No list available yet that I know of but Cycling Ireland will have them on their leisure calendar as they are announced.

AFAIK the first sportive last year was run in conjunction with the Ned Flanagan race from Monasterevin in mid Feb, hopefully that'll happen again this year, after that the Lap of Laois will be in March and the Tour De Foothills in April, with the main summer season on after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most sportives are held on or around the same weekend as the previous year, so if you want to get some early planning in, you can use the 2012 calendar to provisionally slot them into your 2013 plan. Some of them like the WW200 will have already announced their 2013 date, so you can find it online, whereas some others don't announce it until 3 or 4 months beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

http://www.blarneycyclingclub.ie/donal-crowley/

Great route, meet Kelly and some hard guys & gals.
    Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The tour de kilkenny is a cracking sportive, well organised and a decent course, not too easy and not too hard, of course the RoK is a must and the Sk tour of waterford is one not to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Barrrow Wheelers New Ross run a 100 K at the end of January : that is the first of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Our own boards sportive calendar has some updated dates for next year. You can add your own event onto it also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Our own boards sportive calendar has some updated dates for next year. You can add your own event onto it also.

Nicely done. My plan is to do one a month for the craic. It'll keep me from getting lazy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

Hey guys

I don't really post on here but just to let you know I'm in the process of building a site for Irish sportive events.

I took up road cycling at the start of the summer and I find most of the Irish cycling related websites are hopeless for finding out information. So I decided to build a site that would hopefully be the central location for all things sportive related in Ireland.

The idea is to have the site finished by January so I'll announce it on here when it's done.

To start it'll be a calendar of events, and you'll be able to create an account and input events for the calendar (these will be verified and approved by site admin first). In the future I'd like to add in the ability to sign up for the events through the site and let the clubs manage their own sportives through it.

Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

scott.s wrote: »
    Hey guys

I don't really post on here but just to let you know I'm in the process of building a site for Irish sportive events.

I took up road cycling at the start of the summer and I find most of the Irish cycling related websites are hopeless for finding out information. So I decided to build a site that would hopefully be the central location for all things sportive related in Ireland.

The idea is to have the site finished by January so I'll announce it on here when it's done.

To start it'll be a calendar of events, and you'll be able to create an account and input events for the calendar (these will be verified and approved by site admin first). In the future I'd like to add in the ability to sign up for the events through the site and let the clubs manage their own sportives through it.

Scott

to have a site that gets people to sign up for an event would be greatly appreciated from a club administration point of view.

would you handle the sportive fee ? if you could then thats everything required, and such a site would be appreciated / supported by the clubs.

registering sites charge a transaction fee. Such an admin fee is acceptable , if you set up regiestrationand sportive fee handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

The original idea is to get the site going, get a decent number of active users and then introduce the event registration/management aspect.

My aim from this site isn't exactly to make money, so the fee for a club to manage their event through the site would be relatively low, and probably a flat rate. e.g. 50/100 euro per event, no matter how many signups, etc. I wouldn't take any fees from the registration after that so if the event costs 20 euro, the 20 goes straight to the club.

We'd handle the payment though so all that would need to be provided from the club would be a PayPal account or something similar (haven't worked out the specifics yet).

The site's currently in early stages. I've build user registration/authentication and event creation. Just a few things to finish up before a first version can be launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

The Portlaoise Winter Classic 100km is on February 10th 2013 if you fancy an early season test. Details at http://www.laoiscycling.com/pwc_index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Where can I find a list of sportives for 2013?

here

I should have posted in a separate thread

Advertisement