Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lap Of Laois 2013

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey folks, its that time of year when we try to arrange our sportive for next year which has been set for Sunday the 24th of March which we will again be doing for 'The Makebelivers' charity, we are looking for for feedback on last years sportive and suggestions that will help us improve our cycle for both us and you, even if you experienced something at another event and would like to share it please let us know, thanking you in advance and best of luck with your winter training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

was my first sportif and i really enjoyed it. even though i only did the 60k which i found very tough at the time. Its amazing how after a few months of not very much training, 60 actually became "nothing". next year i will tackle the longer distance, can't remember how far you went, was it 120?

I did find though that there was a lot of un-necessary hanging around at the start waiting for "the off", and we were a good bit later that scheduled.

didn't think much of the t-shirts either. probably went straight in the bin to be honest so i wouldn't waste your money getting them next year. though the idea is a good one to give something to the participants so manybe keep it cycle related.

looking forward to next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

In the diary. Thanks for the early notice. From where does it start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Looking forward to this, would have liked to try the 60km last year (would have been my first sportive) but had a confirmation on the day, will be having a go at the 100 this next year.

Asheely: found this, it was the route last year.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/560164

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Thanks very much. Will hopefully get a family pass for the day, as these have to be booked well in advance!

Just looked at that link and the Slieve Bloom section looks 'interesting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Watchtours CC

stevieob wrote: »
    was my first sportif and i really enjoyed it. even though i only did the 60k which i found very tough at the time. Its amazing how after a few months of not very much training, 60 actually became "nothing". next year i will tackle the longer distance, can't remember how far you went, was it 120?

I did find though that there was a lot of un-necessary hanging around at the start waiting for "the off", and we were a good bit later that scheduled.

didn't think much of the t-shirts either. probably went straight in the bin to be honest so i wouldn't waste your money getting them next year. though the idea is a good one to give something to the participants so manybe keep it cycle related.

looking forward to next year :)

Firstly thanks for the feedback, you will have to try the 105 or so km next time so and get "the cut" under your belt. In regard to "the off" we have to wait til everyone is ready to go, when people arrive at different times and get signed up,pump tyres, fill water bottles it does slow things down a bit and as we were heading onto a main road for the first 6 or 7 km we had to keep everyone together. I do agree with you in regard to the t shirts but they were supplied by the charity themselves so were out of our control but we have something up our sleeve next time hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Having gold, silver and bronze finish times.....or at least target times, would be an added incentive, and might ensure people return every year. I think the Louth tour is the only sportive that does this, but it makes the overall day more challenging. Anyway, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I thought you did a great job this year. Nice route, great marshalling, great food stop in the middle and a curry at the end. The weather helped of course, but it was one of the best organised sportives I did this year.

Suggestions:

I'm not sure if the t-shirt is necessary - might save you a small bit of extra cash to give to the charity.

Parking seemed to get a bit tight if you arrived towards the end of registration.

I personally like the way that most Irish sportives don't set target times. If you want to race, there are plenty of races available. Just my opinion.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back to you.

nilhg wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, would have liked to try the 60km last year (would have been my first sportive) but had a confirmation on the day, will be having a go at the 100 this next year.

Asheely: found this, it was the route last year.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/560164

Yeah it's hard to find a weekend that doesn't clash with something else, the 100 km was a very nice cycle this year but we might change it a bit next year but leaving "the cut " in it

ashleey wrote: »
    Thanks very much. Will hopefully get a family pass for the day, as these have to be booked well in advance!

Just looked at that link and the Slieve Bloom section looks 'interesting'.

"Interesting" is right, when you already have 70 or so km already in your legs, but get into a good rhythm and you'll fly over it

Ryder wrote: »
    Having gold, silver and bronze finish times.....or at least target times, would be an added incentive, and might ensure people return every year. I think the Louth tour is the only sportive that does this, but it makes the overall day more challenging. Anyway, good luck

I've never heard of it been done that way before, we'll look into it, although with the way some lads ( and girls) found it very hard to come away from all the buns and cakes at the foodstop and the 'target' finishing times went out the window

• Advertisement

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I thought you did a great job this year. Nice route, great marshalling, great food stop in the middle and a curry at the end. The weather helped of course, but it was one of the best organised sportives I did this year.

Suggestions:

I'm not sure if the t-shirt is necessary - might save you a small bit of extra cash to give to the charity.

Parking seemed to get a bit tight if you arrived towards the end of registration.

I personally like the way that most Irish sportives don't set target times. If you want to race, there are plenty of races available. Just my opinion.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back to you.

Hey Daithi, it was the charity itself that provided the t shirts last year so the money that was raised on the day went straight into their pocket as I believe they have their own way of printing them, we have done a lot of sportives during the year and you always feel good when you come out of it with something like a t shirt but we have something else planned next year, in regard to parking we were actually surprised by how many people turned up as it was our first sportive so it's another thing we have to look into, thanks for your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

"Interesting" is right, when you already have 70 or so km already in your legs, but get into a good rhythm and you'll fly over it

No, I can assure you there was no flying involved here for me last year.

Is there a verb called "to snail" over a hill.

No, I can assure you there was no flying involved here for me last year.

Is there a verb called "to snail" over a hill.

Yeah Alex but that was this year, another year stronger next year, thats where the flying comes into it.

Advertisement