Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio needed urgently!!

Options
  • 28-11-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good physio in South County Dublin? Blackrock/Stillorgan/Dun Laoghaire anywhere like that? Shoulder injury has gotten me to the point where I can't even run without it hurting, so need to get it dealt with quick! Any recommendations on good physio's much appreciated, cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Therepy experts
    Trees Road Upper
    Mount Merrion

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thisisnotinuse

Great stuff, thanks for that man. Just looked them up and they look good so will give them a buzz tomorrow. Is it the usual €60 per session do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

I would suggest that Bikram yoga would be a longer lasting solution to your problems. And better value for money

I have no connection with Bikram yoga or physios but my experience has been the following.

Bikram yoga - standardised, excellent in terms of core strength, all over flexibility and general mental health

Other forms of yoga - mixed bag, often a yoga practicioner putting their own spin on yoga in a non-scientific way. Not all other forms are bad, but it's a mixed bag.

Physios - the likes of Hartmann ( never been to him) and the top guys are brilliant, but beneath that it's a real mixed bag. I have found them ( I don't go to physios anymore since discovering yoga) in the past to focus too much on the specific muscle rather than treating the injury in a holistic way.

Bikram Yoga 90 mins €15 v Physio 45 mins or whatever -€60 (the price you mention below)

No contest in my book.

I'm a GAA and soccer player by the way and I'm recommending Bikram yoga to all my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

fighterman wrote: »
    I would suggest that Bikram yoga would be a longer lasting solution to your problems. And better value for money

I have no connection with Bikram yoga or physios but my experience has been the following.

Bikram yoga - standardised, excellent in terms of core strength, all over flexibility and general mental health

Other forms of yoga - mixed bag, often a yoga practicioner putting their own spin on yoga in a non-scientific way. Not all other forms are bad, but it's a mixed bag.

Physios - the likes of Hartmann ( never been to him) and the top guys are brilliant, but beneath that it's a real mixed bag. I have found them ( I don't go to physios anymore since discovering yoga) in the past to focus too much on the specific muscle rather than treating the injury in a holistic way.

Bikram Yoga 90 mins €15 v Physio 45 mins or whatever -€60 (the price you mention below)

No contest in my book.

I'm a GAA and soccer player by the way and I'm recommending Bikram yoga to all my friends.

Yeah bikram will fix that shoulder right up with no risk of further damage :confused:

I'm all for yoga, but your advice is baffling.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Yeah bikram will fix that shoulder right up with no risk of further damage :confused:

I believe it would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I believe it would

How do you know they don't have a torn ligament, a tendon avulsion? That's right you don't

kennyb3 wrote: »
    How do you know they don't have a torn ligament, a tendon avulsion? That's right you don't

Ok, modified suggestion.

Go to doctor first to determine it's not a torn ligament.

If not, then go to Bikram yoga. Several of the postures would be perfect for strengthening and improving flexibility in the shoulder area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was suggested to take up yoga by physios and friends, still haven't gotten around to it, but was told to start with the easy type. Is bikram for beginners?

As for physio, try Ruth in the Enniskerry physio clinic, I went to her after hearing so many recommendations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ok, modified suggestion.

Go to doctor first to determine it's not a torn ligament.

If not, then go to Bikram yoga. Several of the postures would be perfect for strengthening and improving flexibility in the shoulder area.

You are talking complete madness. Your advise, while good intentioned is misguided and dangerous. Yoga is not the solution to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Highly rated physio, Emma Gallivan @ Ironside

http://ironsidegym.ie/physiotherapist/

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    You are talking complete madness. Your advise, while good intentioned is misguided and dangerous. Yoga is not the solution to everything.

For non-acute injuries , I firmly believe that Bikram yoga (Bikram, not all forms of yoga) is a longer-term and better-value solution than a physio.

My experience of physios has been less than positive and I am consistently amazed at the outlay on physios by sports teams around Ireland.

Having physio done is too passive in my opinion, in Bikram yoga the individual is required to push themselves hard and the attendant benefits in terms of excellent core strength and flexibility are soon felt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

For non-acute injuries , I firmly believe that Bikram yoga (Bikram, not all forms of yoga) is a longer-term and better-value solution than a physio.

My experience of physios has been less than positive and I am consistently amazed at the outlay on physios by sports teams around Ireland.

Having physio done is too passive in my opinion, in Bikram yoga the individual is required to push themselves hard and the attendant benefits in terms of excellent core strength and flexibility are soon felt.

When your only solution is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

I would totally recommend the physio company in Ranelagh, they guy there is great really friendly and knows his stuff. I dislocated the bone in my shoulder between shoulder blade and collarbone so muscle and ligaments were stretched.
    I had five sessions in total, with ultra-sound to help with the pain (he explained it cant remember reasoning behind it)
    Cost was €40 because I was a student normal fees are around €50 I think.
    After 8 weeks had a follow up consultation to see everything was ok and this seems to be standard practice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

this thread is physio recommendations, the OP is not looking for medical advice but doing the right thing and going to see a physio.

Fighterman, if you want to start a thread on how yoga can prevent injury fire away but leave this one here. Thanks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thisisnotinuse

Hey folks just back online and checking back in on this! Thanks again for all the suggestions, I am booked in with Therapy Experts on Tuesday after the first suggestion but Emma Gallivan was suggested to me before so will check her out along with the ones in Ranelagh.

My girlfriend has been trying to get me to yoga for a while now so I think it's inevitable that I will be trying it out when get the shoulder fixed!

Cheers again.

My girlfriend has been trying to get me to yoga for a while now so I think it's inevitable that I will be trying it out when get the shoulder fixed!

Cheers again.

Listen to your girlfriend! You will be amazed at the differences it can make to your overall level of flexibility.

Advertisement