Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outboard and radio

Options
  • 28-11-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I have just bought a 16ft boat, my first. I am looking for advise on what size back up outboard to have and where to get it donedeal ebay etc. Also what radio to get and where also. thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Worrzell and welcome to the forum, is your main engine an electric start if so could get away with an electric backup motor. On my boat also 16 foot I have a 54 LSB electric that I use on lakes and rivers and I have a 4 hp for when I'm at sea. As I don't go too far from shore I just use a handheld VHF radio http://www.marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf-radio/handheld-vhf/ you should be able to pick one up in any marine store. Is your boat an open boat or do you have a cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WORRZELL

Hi Fergal, its got a cabin and I was wondering if 4hp would be enough or if I needed to go bigger. I will probably be the same as yourself regarding not going out too far but you know yourself what I say now and what I do is different. What about the radios for sale on ebay which seem good value. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

My boat is very light and has no cabin so the 4hp is fine but for a fiberglass one with a cabin I would look for 10 hp so you can fight wind and tide. I'd prefer to buy from dealer and get a warranty but if you can find a good deal it may be worth a go, it's up to you:D If there is a chance of you going out over 3 - 5 miles go for full size VHF and put it in the cabin it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WORRZELL

thanks Fergal, at the moment I really dont see us going out that far I'd say around Lambay may be the furthest we go so a 4-5hp i'm hoping will be enough and a hand held vhf from ebay hong kong or something. thanks for your help

Out around Lambay I would recommend a 10 hp, at each corner the tide can run at 2 knots add a headwind on to that and you might find your self running out of fuel before you get to shore :eek: also Lambay is still a few miles from the nearest lifeboat station and the island can also block the signal so I would be happier with the full size VHF over the handheld. The weather can change very quickly out there and two things that you might be putting you and your crews life in are your VHF and AUX so spend more money on them and less on fishing gear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just a note on the radio. I have an 18 ft bayliner and I bought a hand held radio. It wasn't long before I regretted this as it cannot be heard while the boat is under way. I would recommend getting a proper radio and speaker if you have somewhere on board to fit it. I think I will be going for one of these for next season.

Advertisement