Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have I taken on to much?

• 26-11-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Im sure everyones sick of these beginner thread in here, but I need advice and tips if possible.

So basically im 28 and while im average weight for my height (i think) im 6ft and my weight fluctuates between 11 to 11 and 1/2 stone, I gave up the smokes a year ago and recently have been trying to eat more healthy cutting down on sugary drinks etc but I honestly havent trained or took part in anything sports related in more than a few years.

Ive recently got a rush of blood to the head and along with four other complete novices signed up to do the 10km Hell and Back challenge in January not really realising the enormity of the task i had taken on. I went jogging on Saturday and to be honest I couldnt really run for very long at all I kept stopping to continue walking and then jog again after a minute or two, then obviouly woke up to very sore legs stiffness all over, but went jogging again as I was told this would help and I honestly think i ran shorter distances this time:(.

What im asking have I taken on to big a task? Also is there any advice and tips people could give me to help me along? Im willing to put the effort in and train every single days if needs be to help me reach my goal.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It's not going to be easy, but you have enough time to make noticeable improvements. Along with running, you'll need a bit of strength work and sessions that include short bursts of intensity. Circuits and bodyweight exercises would be great. Be careful to build slowly though, or you may injure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Not too much by any means. As Oryx said, build it up slow and get your body comfortable and don't shock it into 10km a day with gym sessions and that.

Consistency is the key to improvement- meaning try regularly and not once this week twice the next and none the week after. The body will adapt quicker with consistency. Remember to allow your recovery periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not too much by any means. As Oryx said, build it up slow and get your body comfortable and don't shock it into 10km a day with gym sessions and that.

Consistency is the key to improvement- meaning try regularly and not once this week twice the next and none the week after. The body will adapt quicker with consistency. Remember to allow your recovery periods.

Thanks for the replys, ive been building up slow ive gone jogging the last four days and have seen no improvment although I have been doing them after twelve hour shifts and my legs are aching I havent been going for long runs more so short jog, walk, jog etc trying to get my legs accustomed to it and my breathing as im really struggling to catch my breath, I was thinking of taking the next two days of then go again? As I feel exhausted and think my legs need to rest would this be the best coarse of action?

I havent began working on upper body conditioning yet as I didnt want my whole body aching at once figured Id try get my legs used to it first then when im jogging more comfortably try improve the upper body strength.

Thanks for the replys, ive been building up slow ive gone jogging the last four days and have seen no improvment although I have been doing them after twelve hour shifts and my legs are aching I havent been going for long runs more so short jog, walk, jog etc trying to get my legs accustomed to it and my breathing as im really struggling to catch my breath, I was thinking of taking the next two days of then go again? As I feel exhausted and think my legs need to rest would this be the best coarse of action?

I havent began working on upper body conditioning yet as I didnt want my whole body aching at once figured Id try get my legs used to it first then when im jogging more comfortably try improve the upper body strength.
    I think you need to adjust your plan a bit. Don't run four days in a row. Don't expect improvement that rapidly either. I would suggest you do two shortish runs during the week. At the weekend, find a cross country route with a few inclines and run say, 4k in week one and two, 5k in week three and so on. Your session should be 45 mins or so to start with. Get your feet wet. Climb gates, go thru ditches. This is meant to be more than just a run.

Along with that, every second day do a short bit of strength work. Pushups, burpees, squats core work etc. Now, I don't know your current fitness, so please be smart about it and listen to your body, don't just blindly follow what you're told!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

To be fair to Oryx I'm not sure when he/she was last unfit :P but I've just started my GF who is tiny and slim but never exercised on a couch to 5k. The first session was 20 mins, jog 1min, walk 1.5min and at the end she could barely stand. It's an 8 week plan just to run 5k and OP is not only doubling that but doing all the other stuff the Hell run will throw at him.

That's not to say it's not impossible but honestly I think over winter when motivation to go out in the cold and rain (once the initial burst of novelty wears off) with no pre existing fitness base it's a stretch or at least he'll be walking a lot of it.

Not trying to be negative OP :) It still looks like a laugh and even if you do end up walking or not finishing keep up with the running. It's awesome stuff.

EDIT: if you do keep up the running buy proper running trainers.

• Advertisement

To be fair to Oryx I'm not sure when he/she was last unfit
    Four years, three months, and two days ago. ;) My first event was the similarly nutty Tough Guy in the UK, so I know it's possible to at least get around this event with a short amount of prep time. It will hurt tho. It doesn't matter if in training you are slow, or take walk breaks as long as the effort is there and you're trying.

Oryx wrote: »
    I think you need to adjust your plan a bit. Don't run four days in a row. Don't expect improvement that rapidly either. I would suggest you do two shortish runs during the week. At the weekend, find a cross country route with a few inclines and run say, 4k in week one and two, 5k in week three and so on. Your session should be 45 mins or so to start with. Get your feet wet. Climb gates, go thru ditches. This is meant to be more than just a run.

Along with that, every second day do a short bit of strength work. Pushups, burpees, squats core work etc. Now, I don't know your current fitness, so please be smart about it and listen to your body, don't just blindly follow what you're told!

Once again cheers for all the advice, I took the last two days off and my legs now feel back to normal so am hoping to go for a run again later this evening, as for a cross country place to go running I have one sussed out that ill probably be doing next week.

Im also planning on starting the strength work tomorrow, I know ive been told not to push myself to hard ease into it and build up fitness levels and it will become easier as I go along.
    To be fair to Oryx I'm not sure when he/she was last unfit :P but I've just started my GF who is tiny and slim but never exercised on a couch to 5k. The first session was 20 mins, jog 1min, walk 1.5min and at the end she could barely stand. It's an 8 week plan just to run 5k and OP is not only doubling that but doing all the other stuff the Hell run will throw at him.

That's not to say it's not impossible but honestly I think over winter when motivation to go out in the cold and rain (once the initial burst of novelty wears off) with no pre existing fitness base it's a stretch or at least he'll be walking a lot of it.

Not trying to be negative OP :) It still looks like a laugh and even if you do end up walking or not finishing keep up with the running. It's awesome stuff.

EDIT: if you do keep up the running buy proper running trainers.

I certainly have to motivation there, and that wont be fading since I gave up the smokes a year ago ive been itching to find something to get myself fit and this was the kick I needed to do it, plus the fact I registered as a team for the event Im certain I dont want to be the one holding the group back so that give me extra motivation to push hard.

First thing I done was went out and got fitted running trainers :).

I just want to say thanks for the advice that I was given in here, I kept up the training, Christmas didn't help a lot but at the moment im still managing to do 10k running on my last run at 1hr 1 minute ( even if I did have to stop two or three times for about 15 seconds to catch my breath:o) and considering I could barely run 100 feet without having to stop 8 weeks ago im happy with my progress :).

Hell & Back is this Sunday and I'm feeling confident now that I can at least complete it but it wont be a stroll for me either I know that. What im wondering is what would be my best preparation for it? In terms of what to eat that morning?How long before I go running? etc. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Do what you have been doing in training. Starting something new on the day of a race is a common pitfall. If you haven't practised it before the race don't do it for the race!

In terms of food beforehand if you have done any all out runs then you'll know what you can handle. If you don't then 3 hours is a good rule of thumb although some need longer (I need 4). Don't worry too much about having the energy to complete it. Assuming that you follow a 'normal' diet and not a low carb one then you'll have plenty to get you round.

Good luck and enjoy the event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Typically when I race on the bike I'll load up on carbs the night before and a slow burning carb that morning. But that's just my routine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement