Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using SUM in formulas Excel 2007

Options
  • 25-11-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Just wondering why some people use the SUM function for most simple multiply and divide e.g if I want to multiply the content of say B10 by C10 I would use =B10*C10. Some people use =SUM(B10*C10) they give the same answer so why use SUM

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

=sum(a1:a20)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Capt'n, did you read my post, I have no idea what you mean by this response

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try it ,

it's like the old BASIC keyword LET

as in LET A=1 it's optional A=1 is the same
    (but in many other languages you'd have to explicitly define A before you could say A=1)

SUM is probably optional for one value
    to add a range you must use it.

it's all in the help somewhere one supposes

I know well what the sum() function is for my question is what is the difference between =B10*C10 and =SUM(B10*C10) why would you use the sum version ?

try it ,

it's all in the help somewhere one supposes
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    I know well what the sum() function is for my question is what is the difference between =B10*C10 and =SUM(B10*C10) why would you use the sum version ?

Because you have been badly taught, or dont have a clue what you are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

homer911 wrote: »
    Because you have been badly taught, or dont have a clue what you are doing...
    ^This. SUM(num) just returns num. There is no reason to do it. Might as well subtract zero, won't change anything

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Some programming languages cant cope with null or missing values in add statements, sum() will usually overcome this

For example if A is null and B = 2

A+B would result in null

while

Sum(A,B) would result in 2

Perhaps whoever wrote the original sum statement was coming from this stable..

Ok thank you all for the contribution. I asked my question why would anyone use SUM in this way as my wife is attending a Business admin course and the tutor, who considers herself an Excel expert, always seems to write formulae in this way. I don't do this myself. Oh btw Homer, you just redeemed yourself following your less than helpful 1st reply, thank you for the clear explanation.

Advertisement