Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash for old clothes?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anyone had any dealings with either of the places in Monaghan town that buy old clothes? My reason for asking is, that someone gave me some bags to bring in to one of the shops and they paid me in the shop for 21 kg but when I got home the person who gave me the clothes said they (the shop staff)had done me and the weight was nearer to 45 kg, but there is not much I can do about it now...I will however go to the shop and ask for the manager and tell them I am going to notify the authorities...this is just a warning or heads up for anyone going into the shops to WEIGH you bags before you go in. And if you think you are not getting enough ask the staff to clear the scales and weigh it again but watch what they do to the scales in the meantime.....crooks should and will be closed down...:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

tj2011 wrote: »
    ...I will however go to the shop and ask for the manager and tell them I am going to notify the authorities...
    And what authorities might those be?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tj2011

And what authorities might those be?
    The consumer protection or maybe even the Gardai...
    why? Do you have some advice for me or have you been in the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The Gardai won't be interested: they will tell you it is a civil matter, to be dealt with between you and the trader.

Who do you mean by "the consumer protection"? If you have the National Consumer Agency in mind, there are two things to think about:
    1. They don't do enforcement; they tell you how to deal with consumer problems.
    2. When you are selling stuff to a business, you are not acting as a consumer.

You have very little to go on, because you didn't actually weigh the clothes yourself. You would have great difficulty proving anything.

Forty-five kg. is a helluva lot of garments! Are you sure the person who gave you the bags had weighed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tj2011

You could be right with the points you have made, so I guess I will have to find another way to deal with it or else forget about it...thanks for your help...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Anyone using weights and other set measurements in the course of their business has to have their equipments verified by the Legal Meterology Service. That's the folks who test the petrol pumps, taxi meters, butcher's scales etc etc... . They clearly mark the equipment they've tested with a little sticker or a lead seal, to have an idea look at the petrol pump next time you're filling up. The sticker is the size of two postage stamps or there about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement