Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 years ago today.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I notice that the OP has not mentioned kids. That can mean one of two things:
    1. he and his missus are sensible people, who resist the urge to procreate and fill this planet with yet more two-legged viruses, or;
    2. there will be kids (if there aren't already) and they are Doomed. Doomed, I tell you!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭recyclops

Was in a relationship for 8 years girl I met in school had fun times but mid twenties realised she was more of a friend than a person to spend my life with, we split I broke her heart. Still feel bad for her,though she is now in a relationship and happy.

Spent a year and a half single enjoyed my life, met another girl, smitten instantly, shw is now asleep beside me on the couch as I watch match of the day and I couldn't be happier I love her to bits and know I wanna spend my life with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Shryke wrote: »
    I've dodged a few bullets and I'm single and happy out. I got a handjob in a tent this time last year if that does anything for you OP.

A handjob in a tent? In November? Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

not yet wrote: »
    Count as what..........

An important date or something. I don't know. I couldn't think of anything bar birthdays, anniversaries, my wedding, my sexiversary etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

bnt wrote: »
    I notice that the OP has not mentioned kids. That can mean one of two things:
    1. he and his missus are sensible people, who resist the urge to procreate and fill this planet with yet more two-legged viruses, or;
    2. there will be kids (if there aren't already) and they are Doomed. Doomed, I tell you!

Ha Ha, both in our late 40s so kids are out. I have a daughter from my first marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

5 years ago..
    i was getting divorced
    was off work with an injury
    miserable

now
    married again
    unemployed
    still miserable :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

5 years ago around now I broke up with my ex, best decision I ever made and managed to get my life back on track.
    Since then I met a wonderful guy but for various reasons it didn't work out but still glad I met someone so nice and he helped restore my faith in men:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

5 years ago around now I broke up with my ex, best decision I ever made and managed to get my life back on track.
    Since then I met a wonderful guy but for various reasons it didn't work out but still glad I met someone so nice and he helped restore my faith in men:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

5 years ago today I had a 'pedal'......tbh I can't be totally sure but I'd be about 95% certain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just found out 20 mins ago that the only girl I've ever liked doesn't like me, she used to, but I never met up with her, missed my chance. Regret it. :(

I understand the feeling ... so ... the NEXT time anyone ever says that they fancy someone and are not sure whether to contact them or tell them .... tell them to get the finger out and TELL THEM straight away .. and to hell with a bit of embarrassment. Life is too short :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't remember what I did yesterday, five years ago is long obscured by the sands of time.

...about two months ago I saw a photo of a gal on a dating site in Dublin and said to myself wow ... I have to meet that girl ! ... we've been heavily dating now for 7 weeks ... walking on air ....... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

No disrespect intended; but I'm always a little skeptical when a divorced person tells me how great their new marriage is.

Nobody ever says, 'Oh yeah, she's okay, so I mean, sure, let's get married'. Everyone is always, 'Oh she's so great, she's the one! I love her'....right up until the point where they tell you it's over. Then they say how she was a bi#*@ and how marriage is evil.

Then, they meet some other girl and it's all, 'Oh - she's so great! She's the one!'

Statistically people who have been divorced already are many times more likely to get divorced again, so it's hard to make the argument that they are learning what they really like and finding it again when 2nd marriages are more likely to fail than first.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

5 years ago I thought everyone who listened to hard rock looked like a mono-coloured clown with at least three piercings - if only 12 year old me could see the irony of the situation...

UCDVet wrote: »
    No disrespect intended; but I'm always a little skeptical when a divorced person tells me how great their new marriage is.

Nobody ever says, 'Oh yeah, she's okay, so I mean, sure, let's get married'. Everyone is always, 'Oh she's so great, she's the one! I love her'....right up until the point where they tell you it's over. Then they say how she was a bi#*@ and how marriage is evil.

Then, they meet some other girl and it's all, 'Oh - she's so great! She's the one!'
    This 'scepticism can be applied to anyone at any time of their lives, whether they have been married multiple times or never married at all.

I know remarried couples who are blissfully remarried. I know a couple of couples who are battling through tough times.

I see no difference or differentiation between first or multiple marriages. It is the human condition that describes how people are when they get married. Life is tough. Marriage is tough. Commitment is tough. Your characterisation of remarried people as being more likely to fall out of love is groundless in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

UCDVet wrote: »

Statistically people who have been divorced already are many times more likely to get divorced again, so it's hard to make the argument that they are learning what they really like and finding it again when 2nd marriages are more likely to fail than first.

You may have a point, once a person has been through a divorce they know the ropes of going through it again.

But, for my experience, in my first marriage, it wasn't the big love thing. Which I guess is why it ended so quickly. It took me four years to dip my toe back in the water, I met a few frogs. But the guy I'm with now is one in a million, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would meet a guy like him. He has his faults surely, but I'm confident he's a keeper.

However, do come back in five years and point me in the direction of this thread! Hopefully my opinion won't have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'm more at ease with masturbation. I just find sex with strangers a very stressful experience... and relationships are scary. I'm doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Walked out on my marriage this month five years ago. Best. Decision. Ever.

Have since met a wonderful guy :D

Can't help myself, have to join in now !

Extracted myself from a 17 year marriage 3 years ago.

Am now happier then ever, with my younger feisty lover !

Happy Days !

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

This thread has made me think about how much better my life was 5 years ago and now i feel like crying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ladysadie

not yet wrote: »
    I sat in a bar in Phibsborough waiting on a blind date. In she walked and BOOOOM.... I was smitten, Now I've been round the block, married, divorced etc had plenty of ''fun'' in the meantime. But I met an incredible, wonderful woman whom I fell in love with and married 18 months ago. I guess I'm just on here letting people know that there is a person out there for everyone.

Thank you! Needed to hear that today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ladysadie

1210m5g wrote: »
    This thread has made me think about how much better my life was 5 years ago and now i feel like crying :(

Worst thing you can do is give up hope, 5 years ago i was deliriously happy, now im not. Currently trying to let it all go, and just be happy.
    Im hoping,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

5 years ago I was in third year. Now im in first year of college. Not much has changed in all honesty! Still single, still have the same friends, still drink far too much, still haven't got a job, still living at home, still have depression.

It's all good though!

Advertisement