Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann False Advertising.

Options
  • 23-11-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Bus Eireann is stating in the link that they have free WIFI on all Wexford buses, yet this is a false statement i use the service a lot and have not once since September had free Wifi, i challenged Bus Eireann and they said its only on new buses..

How can they get away with this, the guy over this has not responded to my emails and voice messages ongoing 2 weeks. Customer service is a disgrace in Ireland. I have reported this to the authorites for false advertising and told Bus Eireann of my dissatisfaction at their lack of customer care.

Would the public be entitled to compensation due to the false advertising and fact we are paying for a service they are advertising but not providing?

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1166&month=Sep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

This happened me a few time getting a bus to Dublin from Donegal...It had the wifi sticker on it advertising free wifi but guess what happened when I got on the bus? NO DAMN WIFI

Is it worth doing something about these cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

in before louis CK

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

in before louis CK

haha forgot about that skit..."how much does the world owe you" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NonSickle

in before louis CK

??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

NonSickle wrote: »
    Would the public be entitled to compensation due to the false advertising and fact we are paying for a service they are advertising but not providing?

it's a free service "free wifi" whether or not the ad is wrong or misleading if it is available on the bus it is provided free so on that basis I fail to see how you are paying for it.

• Advertisement

Ulsterbus are the same actually. Got a bus from Newry to Downpatrick on Sunday which had Wi-Fi. The return bus didn't.

it's a free service "free wifi" whether or not the ad is wrong or misleading if it is available on the bus it is provided free so on that basis I fail to see how you are paying for it.

So if they stated they had a toilet on the bus and there wasnt or it wasnt working would that be false advertising even though it would not cost anything to use or be included in the fare. Also i might choose that form of transport over another because of the fact they advertise WIFI on ALL buses to wexford yet the company themselves say, its only on new buses, why not state that in their advertising.

I want the WIFI and i am paying for it when i choose to travel with them.

Karsini wrote: »
    Ulsterbus are the same actually. Got a bus from Newry to Downpatrick on Sunday which had Wi-Fi. The return bus didn't.

Do they state WIFI on ALL buses? this is my gripe the false misleading statment.

So if they stated they had a toilet on the bus and there wasnt or it wasnt working would that be false advertising even though it would not cost anything to use or be included in the fare. Also i might choose that form of transport over another because of the fact they advertise WIFI on ALL buses to wexford yet the company themselves say, its only on new buses, why not state that in their advertising.

I want the WIFI and i am paying for it when i choose to travel with them.

I personally couldn't give a sh*te about bus eireann or their wifi and i totally agree with you in relation to them having no wifi, they should not be allowed to advertise they have it if they dont have it, all i am trying to point out is that if they say it is free then you cannot claim compo for something you paid for, because you didnt pay for it it was free, like the guy that took the ulster bus above his fare would not of been different whether there was wifi or not because it is free, i get it free on irish ferries but its sh*te because you cant use any streaming services like youtube or skygo so its pointless just a scabby advertising gimmick, i should point out i have never been on a bus eireann bus in my life.

• Advertisement

I personally couldn't give a sh*te about bus eireann or their wifi and i totally agree with you in relation to them having no wifi, they should not be allowed to advertise they have it if they dont have it, all i am trying to point out is that if they say it is free then you cannot claim compo for something you paid for, because you didnt pay for it it was free, like the guy that took the ulster bus above his fare would not of been different whether there was wifi or not because it is free, i get it free on irish ferries but its sh*te because you cant use any streaming services like youtube or skygo so its pointless just a scabby advertising gimmick, i should point out i have never been on a bus eireann bus in my life.

Here's a full stop = .

Here's a Bus Stop.

nu51f.jpg

http://d2706028.u86.hosting365.ie/entiresection.asp?Section_Num=3

Quote from the Advertising Standards Authority For Ireland , covering promotinal marketing purposes, do you not feel its covered under this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Same site:

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

Form to complain.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Same site:

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

Form to complain.

Cheers, already did, will write what they say back but as usual in Ireland nothing will be done probably, will see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Waste of time with the ASAI. I remember when Vodafone was offering 'unlimited' broadband with a 5 GB limit. I complained to the ASAI on the grounds that a service with a 5 GB LIMIT should not be advertised as UNLIMITED.

They sided with Vodafone in the end and said it is perfectly acceptable to advertise a limited service as unlimited :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

wingnut wrote: »
    Waste of time with the ASAI. I remember when Vodafone was offering 'unlimited' broadband with a 5 GB limit. I complained to the ASAI on the grounds that a service with a 5 GB LIMIT should not be advertised as UNLIMITED.

They sided with Vodafone in the end and said it is perfectly acceptable to advertise a limited service as unlimited :rolleyes:
    If I recall correctly the reasoning was that "Unlimited" referred to how long and how often you can use the service not how much data you can transfer. It stems from the bad old dial-up/ISDN days when you were billed per minute (just like phone calls) with different rates during peak and off-peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

all i am trying to point out is that if they say it is free then you cannot claim compo for something you paid for, because you didnt pay for it it was free, like the guy that took the ulster bus above his fare would not of been different whether there was wifi or not because it is free, i get it free on irish ferries but its sh*te because you cant use any streaming services like youtube or skygo so its pointless just a scabby advertising gimmick, i should point out i have never been on a bus eireann bus in my life.

You can not claim compo but you can certainly claim a refund.

If I own a shop and have an ad which says " spend over 10 euro and enter a draw for a TV for free" so the customer spends over 10 euro and says what do I do to enter the free draw and I say na no draw really but you would have been entering for free anyways so doesn't count.

Is that ok? no it is not... So OP defo ask for refund.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If I recall correctly the reasoning was that "Unlimited" referred to how long and how often you can use the service not how much data you can transfer. It stems from the bad old dial-up/ISDN days when you were billed per minute (just like phone calls) with different rates during peak and off-peak times.

IIRC it was more to do with Unlimited not actually being taken literary by the authorities. Unlimited must refer to a standard acceptable download limit to prevent abuse.

Does the Bus Eireann adverts say Terms & Conditions apply or similar? Within those it may state its on new buses only, hence, its permitted.

Sully wrote: »
    IIRC it was more to do with Unlimited not actually being taken literary by the authorities. Unlimited must refer to a standard acceptable download limit to prevent abuse.

Does the Bus Eireann adverts say Terms & Conditions apply or similar? Within those it may state its on new buses only, hence, its permitted.

I dont see any terms and conditions in the above link, just a blatant misleading statement that they cannot back up and even they know only new buses have it so why state ALL buses? Crazy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

your "paying for it" because part of the reason you choose this bus service over others is the incentive of free wi-fi....if it doesn't exist it should'nt be advertised

You were advised correctly in Waterford that all new buses and coaches are wifi enabled. Furthermore we are currently in a programme of retro fitting existing buses and coaches, and this process should be completed by December or early new year for all Expressway coaches. Our advertising message is currently focused on the fact that there is “Free wifi on over 190 buses and coaches”. Furthermore, it is company policy to have wifi helpline stickers on board vehicles with wifi so that customers can call direct from a vehicle if there is a service problem. If you encounter a problem in the future with a vehicle which is supposed to have WiFi fitted, you can call MoovManage. The number is low call 0818 333388.
    I hope this answers your query

ABOVE IS REPLY I GOT FROM BUS EIREANN, THEY CANT EVEN REPLY CORRECTLY, I SAID THERE WAS NO WIFI ON ANY OF THE BUSES I GOT AND THE FACT THAT ITS FALSE ADVERTISING ON THE WEXFORD ROUTE. WIFI IN NEW YEAR IS NOT ON ALL BUSES SINCE SEPTEMBER.

TO ADD INSULT TO RING MOOVMANAGE, HA HOW DO I RING THEM WHEN THERE IS NO WIFI TO BEGIN WITH. ITS SO FRUSTRATING, I REPLYED AND HAVE NOT HAD A REPLY SINCE SO RE SENT MY EMAIL.

ALSO NOW, THE MID WEEK RETURN AND MONTHLY RETURN FARES ARE THE SAME, 20 EURO. THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENCE IT WOULD SEEM THE MID WEEK IS TO ENCOURAGE OFF PEAK TRAVELLERS AND THE FACT IT IS NOW 20 EURO WITH PRICE INCREASES AND NO WIFI EITHER.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ALSO NOW, THE MID WEEK RETURN AND MONTHLY RETURN FARES ARE THE SAME, 20 EURO. THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENCE IT WOULD SEEM THE MID WEEK IS TO ENCOURAGE OFF PEAK TRAVELLERS AND THE FACT IT IS NOW 20 EURO WITH PRICE INCREASES AND NO WIFI EITHER.

So you're on a general rant now?

The original Press Release isn't really an advertiement either. Unless you count everything ona website as advertising. Not an easy one for the ASAI to monitor IMO

So at this stage it boils down to what do you want from your complaint?

Dodge wrote: »
    So you're on a general rant now?

The original Press Release isn't really an advertiement either. Unless you count everything ona website as advertising. Not an easy one for the ASAI to monitor IMO

So at this stage it boils down to what do you want from your complaint?

Well no not a general rant i have spoken to them about the mid week prices and i am just bringing it to other peoples attention as if you have a mid week ticket you cannot get on the bus from friday to sunday and why buy that ticket and why would bus eireann trick people and let them buy it when they could travel monday to sunday no restrictions for the same price, why bother having it if not to trick or con people, i have a complaint in from before where bus eireann were charging different prices on their website and on the bus compared to at the counter or at the desk in bus aras, my opinion is they are a horrible company. Only saturday did i witness a girl in bus aras knock on the door of a bus which the driver had closed one second before and he would not let her on, hope that driver gets some karma back. My opinion is everytime i travel with the company im given a reason to be pissed off with them and im not in a position to travel any other way at the moment. Another night we waited an hour for a bus because the previous driver stopped for chips. The buses are freezing and disgusting, come on can they not do better and then have the cheek to charge such high prices?

Of course everything on a website is advertising !! and of course a press release is advertisement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well no not a general rant i have spoken to them about the mid week prices and i am just bringing it to other peoples attention as if you have a mid week ticket you cannot get on the bus from friday to sunday and why buy that ticket and why would bus eireann trick people and let them buy it when they could travel monday to sunday no restrictions for the same price, why bother having it if not to trick or con people, i have a complaint in from before where bus eireann were charging different prices on their website and on the bus compared to at the counter or at the desk in bus aras, my opinion is they are a horrible company. Only saturday did i witness a girl in bus aras knock on the door of a bus which the driver had closed one second before and he would not let her on, hope that driver gets some karma back. My opinion is everytime i travel with the company im given a reason to be pissed off with them and im not in a position to travel any other way at the moment. Another night we waited an hour for a bus because the previous driver stopped for chips. The buses are freezing and disgusting, come on can they not do better and then have the cheek to charge such high prices?

Of course everything on a website is advertising !! and of course a press release is advertisement.

Have you made a complaint to the advertising standards authority ireland? They can decide if your complaint holds water or not.

Sully wrote: »
    Have you made a complaint to the advertising standards authority ireland? They can decide if your complaint holds water or not.

Yeah Sully i have, sure we see what it says, B Eireann have basically said they dont give a dam that i have pointed it out to them and have no plans to remove it etc, suppose they think one person doesnt matter!

suppose they think one person doesnt matter!

Are you still using the service?

Are you still using the service?

Why, point being what you trying to say like? i've said above im not in a position to travel any other way at the minute. No point trying to take this thread in another direction thanks Dodge.

I'm just trying to figure out what you hope to get from the complaint?

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to figure out what you hope to get from the complaint?

Jesus, who says i will get anything i certainly wont get a pay off ha, im doing it as i am pissed off i would like the bloody wifi they advertise, who wouldnt, pass the trip, i dont have internet on my phone as i blocked it as it kept connecting to do updates but i like the wifi, also they are such an annoying company and they dont care about their customers so i am bringing it up with the asai as they are false advertising and posting it here to inform other people. That ok with you Dodge?

Why are you so interested?

Advertisement