Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up drink

Options
  • 22-11-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Could you do it? There's lots of arguments for, and against.

Could you give up drink for the rest of your life? 179 votes

Yes, but I don't want to
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, easily
    65% 117 votes
    No
    34% 62 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's lots of arguments for, and against.

Are there?

I've only heard ones for staying on it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Are there?

I've only heard ones for staying on it forever.

Improved health (physical and mental) , more energy, save a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Why?

Don't answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

First time I've heard any of this.

• Advertisement

corkonion wrote: »
    Get a life.
    Heh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

No cause there is nothing to do in Ireland except drink. If i gave up the drink I'd have no social life whatsoever. Maybe cinema once a fortnight on a weekday, or a spin somewhere with friends during the weekdays.I wouldn't be able to go to a pub or nightclub without drinking. I tried before and lasted 5 mins before getting a pint. Also wouldn't be able to visit a friends house or whatever when there drinking, drive me mad that I wasn't and would have to leave or join them drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Actually, teetotallers tend to die on average 5 years earlier than moderate drinkers. I only started drinking at 23 and I do worry about the long term health effects of not drinking up to 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I want to, it's expensive and makes me more stupid than I already am. Pros of alcohol are that it dumbs everyone else down to my level and makes women want to have sex with me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 horticulturist

No way friend

I have an exam next week and the stress of studying is getting to me

Thankfully these four cans are relieving the pressure a little.
    Studying while drinking is underrated

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Actually, teetotallers tend to die on average 5 years earlier than moderate drinkers.

Probably because people who are dying or have serious illnesses generally avoid drink, because it may deteriorate their condition or affect their medication. Things like that can screw up the statistics, I don't think any sane doctor in the world would recommend alcohol to increase your lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭emo72

On my sixth pint. Having the craic. Thats how you survive a northern winter.problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Giving up stuff is for quitters, and no-one likes a quitter, son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I could, drinks very rarely as it is, have gone 6 months with out going out and it never bothered me one bit. I have a really hard time understanding people who go out every weekend, seriously does it not get old? Couldn't do it anyway, pissing all that money away as well would sicken me.

Probably because people who are dying or have serious illnesses generally avoid drink, because it may deteriorate their condition or affect their medication. Things like that can screw up the statistics, I don't think any sane doctor in the world would recommend alcohol to increase your lifespan.
    Nonsense, everyone knows drunks survive mad falls and crashes as they don't tense up, or somthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

From getting seriously drunk 4-5 nights a week for the last 15 years to maybe once every 2 months now and I can honestly say I feel a million times better. Was pretty easy to stop as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

If I gave up the alcohol, then realistically I'd probably end up giving up the greasy doner kebab and chips at 4 in the morning...so that's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I love these threads, it's always fun to watch people get super defensive.

I love these threads, it's always fun to watch people get super defensive.
    F you beatch, I am in my hole defensive, who the feck do you think you are, coming in here with your smug stuff????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

The main reasoning behind non-drinkers dying sooner is due to us not having the drink to relieve stress or make social bonds.

That why I light incense and keep a positive attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

Went off it for two months (first time doing more than two weeks since I started). Felt great every day, lost a stone, sleeping better etc.Went to a wedding last weekend and drank again, feel like **** ever since. A rational person would make the obvious call to give it up completely based on the results experienced. But ill probably go out at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I could very easily, did it before for years and it didn't really affect me in any big way, aside from the 'but WHY don't you drink?' and 'shur you'll have one, go on!'s every time I went out.

Practically, these days I find it easier to just have one or two. I enjoy a drink to unwind and loosen up and don't enjoy sitting there with just a pint of water in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I would find it easier to give up a few toes or a finger, then the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I just can't keep drink down.I go out and have one or two and i'm getting sick the minute i walk in the door,this is with any alcoholic drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I just can't keep drink down.I go out and have one or two and i'm getting sick the minute i walk in the door,this is with any alcoholic drink.

Bummer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

weiland79 wrote: »
    Bummer

i probably puked in your sisters mouth on a night out.

That's a real bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

What kind of a thread is this!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Could I? Yep, often go weeks/months at a time without. Don't particularly wish to give it up though, especially when I'm such an infrequent drinker. It's nice to have a few every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I never drink at home because of work, go away for a few days and let my baldy hair down instead, so yeah I can take it or leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Where To wrote: »
    I never drink at home because of work, go away for a few days and let my baldy hair down instead, so yeah I can take it or leave it.

brothels included ???

Advertisement