Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dundalk Square on ice"

Options
  • 21-11-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭

Seen people working on this evening.Seems to be pretty small although the press relaese says that 120 can be on ice at any one time.
    it was confirmed that a huge ice rink will be open to the public from 30th November to 6th January.

The rink will surround the colourful fountain in the heart of the Square, known as a track ice rink. The event is being promoted by Profile Music Group and co-ordinated by the Dundalk Town Centre Commercial Management and the Dundalk Town Council. Speaking to the Dundalk Democrat about the ambitious project, Dundalk Town Centre Commercial Manager Andrew Mawhinney said “It’s great to see that the plan will go ahead. “Nine months of hard work has been involved. There will be a great buzz around Dundalk during this Christmas period,” he explained. “We anticipate in excess of 15,000 people to visit the ice rink. This is a substantial footfall in Dundalk’s town centre. We are currently working with retailers to ensure that they benefit from this additional footfall via a number of initiatives and promotions.” He added that the council will also give two hours parking for the price of one. “Local businesses will also be offering special discount vouchers to their customers and there will be Christmas gift tokens for the ice rink on sale soon,” he explained. “We are also planning to advertise with UTV and get more people into the town. There is a great tradition of ice skating, hockey and figure skating in Dundalk. Hundreds of skaters in Dundalk have skates in the attic, so we want them to come out also.”Construction on the ice rink will start this week and will hold 120 skaters at any one time.
    The rink will have 24-hour security.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local/get-your-skates-on-dundalk-it-s-official-dundalk-square-on-ice-is-coming-to-town-1-4501841

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

"There is a great tradition of ice skating, hockey and figure skating in Dundalk."

Oh really? :D

Dundalk, Maryland?

Speaking of skating, I hear DKIT have purchased and intend to re-open the Dome. Anyone else hear anything along these lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Theres a big soccer tradition in Dundalk but Oriel Park isn't packed week in week out! I think the TCM have got this decision spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

mod9maple wrote: »
    Speaking of skating, I hear DKIT have purchased and intend to re-open the Dome. Anyone else hear anything along these lines?
    DKIT and The Louth County Board have formed an alliance to build a new county GAA stadium beside the Dundalk Retail Park on the JJB and Dome grounds. I know DKIT were looking to buy JJB.
    The new ground will hold 12,000, including a 4,000 seater stand and the land beside KFC that's boarded off that was going to be the new cinema could become the carpark for the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

DkIT purchased the JJB last week from what I hear

• Advertisement

Slashman X wrote: »
    DkIT purchased the JJB last week from what I hear

That's what I heard, including the rink. When I asked what they would do with the rink building ie was it fit for any other purpose once converted, I was told they were keeping it as a rink.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    DKIT and The Louth County Board have formed an alliance to build a new county GAA stadium beside the Dundalk Retail Park on the JJB and Dome grounds.

Oh wait a minute, I just re-read this. Meaning they are going to knock down the existing buildings? :confused:

And OP I think the rink at the square is a grand idea, sure why not? It'll be great for children especially, and adds to the atmosphere and obviously hopes to increase footfall for Xmas trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Oh wait a minute, I just re-read this. Meaning they are going to knock down the existing buildings? :confused:

And OP I think the rink at the square is a grand idea, sure why not? It'll be great for children especially, and adds to the atmosphere and obviously hopes to increase footfall for Xmas trading.

and some of the proceeds are going to SOSAD, great cause

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Is the Ice Track SYNTHETIC ICE ?

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Is the Ice Track SYNTHETIC ICE ?

Given it's location, most definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

That's what I heard, including the rink. When I asked what they would do with the rink building ie was it fit for any other purpose once converted, I was told they were keeping it as a rink.

At the graduation ceremonies, it was said that the JJB would be used as a venue for events, conferences as well as hosting the sports teams etc

Slashman X wrote: »
    At the graduation ceremonies, it was said that the JJB would be used as a venue for events, conferences as well as hosting the sports teams etc

Let it be said that JJB will not be hosting any events , conferences or sports teams on the Ice track at Dundalk Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Given it's location, most definitely.

I had a look at the work there the other day. They have what looks to be a large chiller unit and they are installing lots of blue pipe under where the track will run. Does this not mean that they will be making real ice and keeping it frozen using the chiller? I thought synthetic ice used polymers and oily liquid to work or am I misunderstanding things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

That square didnt need the ice to slide across it! Death trap

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"There is a great tradition of ice skating, hockey and figure skating in Dundalk."

Oh really? :D

Dundalk, Maryland?

And Baseball :D (well many have the bats anyway)

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    I had a look at the work there the other day. They have what looks to be a large chiller unit and they are installing lots of blue pipe under where the track will run. Does this not mean that they will be making real ice and keeping it frozen using the chiller? I thought synthetic ice used polymers and oily liquid to work or am I misunderstanding things?

Here's the skinny , Track will be frozen . Opening is planned for Friday 30th November closing down on the 6th January , (Christmas Day Closed ) Opening hours : 10:00 am ~ 23:00 daily Mon~Sun . Price : Adult €12 (group rates €10 pp. Child under 16 €10 . Family : €35 (2 adults + 2 kids) School Groups: €7 pp.

Vouchers €3 off the price per person . Vouchers can be had in any of the shops .

Fraggle00 wrote: »

No, that's ice alright. Interesting. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Here's the skinny , Track will be frozen . Opening is planned for Friday 30th November closing down on the 6th January , (Christmas Day Closed ) Opening hours : 10:00 am ~ 23:00 daily Mon~Sun . Price : Adult €12 (group rates €10 pp. Child under 16 €10 . Family : €35 (2 adults + 2 kids) School Groups: €7 pp.

Vouchers €3 off the price per person . Vouchers can be had in any of the shops .

opening is delayed until tmrw as the dundalk on ice FB page

I walked passed it an hour ago and there ain't no ice. There's a wooden fence on the outer edge, and then another on the inside. Looks like something you'd see for sheep or cattle sales! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Oh I can just see some drunken idiots trying to get on to it after a night out in Ridleys :D.

All joking aside though if it brings some life to the square it can only be a good thing. It might put a bit of a buzz around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Salt001 wrote: »
    Oh I can just see some drunken idiots trying to get on to it after a night out in Ridleys :D.
    Hmmmm

Anyone up for a few pints? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Seen people skating on the ice rink this afternoon. Looks like it's finally opened for business. Think the official launch is this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

It looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Looks like someone's fumigating the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Pics anybody...i'm exiled these days

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Pics anybody...i'm exiled these days

Theres plenty of photos on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundalk-Square-On-Ice/206172446185644?fref=t

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

There was nobody at it. Whatever launch was meant to take place I certainly failed to see it. Looks like the 10euro for an hour and 35 for a family really did a good job at launching it after-all, if 5 - 10 people was their marketing target.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There was nobody at it. Whatever launch was meant to take place I certainly failed to see it. Looks like the 10euro for an hour and 35 for a family really did a good job at launching it after-all, if 5 - 10 people was their marketing target.

Obviously a throw-back to the Celtic Tiger era. Money making idea but the public not buying into it.

I was down at it earlier and it was packed out.Bit on the dear side alright,great fun though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Went with the missus earlier...... She saw the price and said I could use it toward a meal out instead. Thought a tenner each was a bit rich for me to spend an hour on my arse

Advertisement