Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Still The Best

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

I prefer Windows XP mainly because I prefer the UI, but also because it runs quicker on my laptop(which originally had 7 on it, but ran like crap), and on an aged Dimension 4600 which I use for some games(planning to turn it into a file server at some point). I know you've all probably heard it several times but I just gotta use the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" :P

I still have 7 on the laptop in a dual boot with XP but I rarely boot into it, only if I REALLY have to(which I honestly nearly ever do). XP does the job just fine for me and I'll continue to use it even beyond 2014 as long as the important software I use(Avast, chrome, malwarebytes) still support it(which I'm hoping they will as so many still use it). I don't give a monkeys about newer Office compatibility because I much prefer the pre-2007 UI and startup times for the older office programs are just so much better (using Office XP on this and loving it!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Problem with that attitude is that the security on XP is broken - starting from the fact that so much software requires you to run as administrator. Beyond the end of extended support, using it will be a liability since you'll have to depend entirely on 3rd party vendors to help protect you against OS level threats that aren't patched because it's an OS from the friggin' stone age.

I can understand not upgrading to newer OSs on old hardware for performance issues, but sticking with XP once you have to replace your laptop with newer hardware capable of running Win 7 (or, assuming you can put up with Notro, Win 8) would seem very very silly to me, because of the additional risk and workload involved in sticking to a work habit you like rather than finding out whether you can easily live with the new OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jondo12

Still the best. Yes

Advertisement