Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is yours? Can you cut it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a copy of your receipt OP

Yeah you will be waiting ... post a receipt with personal details on it here on an open forum. Even if I had the means to do it I wouldn't be taking the risk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What personal details :confused:
    You can further obscure the payment details if it means that much to you.
    If you don't have a camera phone, ask to borrow one and upload the image of the receipt.

snubbleste wrote: »
    What personal details :confused:
    You can further obscure the payment details if it means that much to you.
    If you don't have a camera phone, ask to borrow one and upload the image of the receipt.

Yes, I am going to post something on here with my debit card details on it, albeit with some removed and my loyalty card details on it

And yes my personal details do mean that much to me this is a discussion about the cost and the rising costs of living. Not my own personal household management choices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

toexpress wrote: »
    Yes, I am going to post something on here with my debit card details on it, albeit with some removed and my loyalty card details on it
    Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Dear OP

could you also post your bank statements too please

it will provide me with a factual breakdown of your spending habits and assist me in helping you break those habits and save you a small fortune............honest :)

Your friend

BBDBB (Son of a wealthy General (RIP) in the army of military junta of some place you couldnt point to on a world map)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

toexpress wrote: »
    Shopping bill that is.

I was thinking about this, the cost of running your house because I was away a lot over the last couple of weeks so there wasn't much in the line of food in my house. I did a shop on Monday, now there is just me and the dog that's it. €132!! Madness I still am not entirely sure how the bill hit that level. Then you consider paying the phone bills and the electricity. I recently got rid of sky on the basis that I simply can't justify handing out €33 a month for TV.

So with the rising costs of food and fuel yet no real prospect of an increase in income for most people how do you cut back without living like a miser?

It's the dog.
    Did you know keeping the dog is both bad for your pocket and the environment.
    If you have a medium size dog it is the equivalent of driving a Landcruiser 6,000 miles a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/6416683/Pet-dogs-as-bad-for-planet-as-driving-4x4s-book-claims.html

So just look up a Korean recipe book and save yourself buying meat for the next shop or two.
    No thanks necessary for saving you a few hundred euro a year.
    wyndham wrote: »
    Who the fck drinks instant coffee granules nowadays anyway? It's not 1993. And at €8.50 a jar?

Ohh another coffee snob I see.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

jmayo wrote: »
    Ohh another coffee snob I see.

That's not snobbish. Instant is rotten old crap. It's like drinking an open can of coke you found in a public toilet. Or maybe not that bad, but assuredly not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

kneemos wrote: »
    Aldi dog food is very meaty and 39c for 300g,don't know about the dry stuff though

Eating dog food? You must have been hit hard by the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

Vojera wrote: »
    About once a month I do my "big shop" in Aldi, which is toiletries, cleaning supplies and non-perishables, like pasta, rice, jars of kidney beans and the like.

Once a month I also go to the local butchers and buy all my meat for the month (usually just a load of chicken fillets and some mince), divide it out into portions and freeze it.

Then weekly I buy all my veg, dairy and anything I might take a notion of the odd time, like bread or ham.

I always like to know what is in the press so if I plan my meals for the week (e.g. stirfry on Monday, chilli con carne on Tuesday, etc. etc.) I know what to pick up and I'm not buying things I already have.

I do about 80% of my shopping in Aldi, and the rest is the butchers and Tesco. I only go to Tesco once a month for things I've found I tried in Aldi and didn't really like (e.g. deodorant) or things that Aldi doesn't have (certain herbs and spices, a wider selection of herbal tea, coffee pods for my Senseo).

Aldi do loads of Irish products (esp. dairy and meat) so you can still buy Irish if you want to.

My monthly shop varies, depending on what I need and what didn't get used the month before (could be €50 this month, €150 next month, but I reckon it's normally about €75 - that's the Aldi shop, the Tesco shop and the butchers together), but my weekly shop (for two people and veg for 14 guinea pigs) is normally no more than €40 (usually around €30).

It might seem scabby, but I often calculate things up on my phone as I'm going to get an idea of what I'm spending. That way I take more notice of things that might otherwise get thrown into the trolley without thinking (e.g. this week Aldi have Twinings hot chocolate, yummers!). I can still buy them - I'm not the shopping police for myself! -but when the total is read out at the end I don't get a fright and wonder how I spent so much.

What veg do you buy for the guinea pigs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

What veg do you buy for the guinea pigs?

A basic week's supply is usually 7 cucumbers, 15 bell peppers, a bag of carrots, celery, fine beans, two packs of baby corn. Then they sometimes get a treat of kale, apples, kiwis, coriander, parsley, lettuce, bits like that. Luckily a lot of what they eat is on special in Aldi's weekly Super 6 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I love aldi/lidl too etc but I always end up coming out with a bargain hedge trimmer or ironing board.....any savings I made gone.

feckin germans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

OP, if you like Gold Blend coffee then buy Gold Blend coffee. Unless you're taking it intravenously this is not where you're money is going or where you're likely to make significant savings.

A few simple things that I do:

Where possible only purchase special offers. This doesn't mean getting the 100% extra free coleslaw that's out of date tomorrow. If the nice pasta sauce is 2 for 1, buy 10. I can't understand why anyone would buy Jaffa cakes in a normal box. The 100% extra free box is on sale every second week

Get toiletries, shampoos, toothpaste in bulk. The big bottle is miles cheaper per unit than the small one. It doesn't matter if it's just for you, it doesn't go off. Also, see point 1 re specials. Colgate, Head & Shoulders do the 2 for 1s but on a longer cycle.

Be flexible with certain things. I like about 5 types of cereal. I buy whichever is on special offer - see point 1.

Only buy perishables when you need them. Meat, veg. Never buy chicken unless you're going to use it that day. The most expensive food you'll ever buy is anything that ends up in the bin.

Experiment with cheaper alternatives. The milk argument has been done to death but anything that is a commodity should be the same all over. There's a 400% difference between fancy basmati rice and the own brand. It's basmati rice!! It beats Uncle Ben's long grain hands down.

Get a clubcard. It's a small thing but it equates to 1% off your bill.

OP, keep buying the stuff you like and sod the begrudgers. Just note the prices and look out for the specials - see point 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

GetWithIt wrote: »
    OP, if you like Gold Blend coffee then buy Gold Blend coffee. Unless you're taking it intravenously this is not where you're money is going or where you're likely to make significant savings.

A few simple things that I do:

Where possible only purchase special offers. This doesn't mean getting the 100% extra free coleslaw that's out of date tomorrow. If the nice pasta sauce is 2 for 1, buy 10. I can't understand why anyone would buy Jaffa cakes in a normal box. The 100% extra free box is on sale every second week

Get toiletries, shampoos, toothpaste in bulk. The big bottle is miles cheaper per unit than the small one. It doesn't matter if it's just for you, it doesn't go off. Also, see point 1 re specials. Colgate, Head & Shoulders do the 2 for 1s but on a longer cycle.

Be flexible with certain things. I like about 5 types of cereal. I buy whichever is on special offer - see point 1.

Only buy perishables when you need them. Meat, veg. Never buy chicken unless you're going to use it that day. The most expensive food you'll ever buy is anything that ends up in the bin.

Experiment with cheaper alternatives. The milk argument has been done to death but anything that is a commodity should be the same all over. There's a 400% difference between fancy basmati rice and the own brand. It's basmati rice!! It beats Uncle Ben's long grain hands down.

Get a clubcard. It's a small thing but it equates to 1% off your bill.

OP, keep buying the stuff you like and sod the begrudgers. Just note the prices and look out for the specials - see point 1.

THIS

I bought 4 900ml bottles of Tresemme shampoo (Think thats how you spell it) when it was buy one get one free in Tesco. I bought them at least a year and a half ago and I still have a bottle and a half left. €10 for about 2 years worth of shampoo aint half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Why on earth would you buy branded milk? The stuff is a commodity product; the only ingredient is milk. Are supermarkets getting their milk from really crappy cows?

Milk is milk is milk. Buying a branded version is just short of throwing money into a bin. If you're going to buy branded stuff at least have the good sense to limit it to things where believing the brand makes a difference isn't entirely ridiculous.

We get CMP at home and Dawn at work as that's all they have in the local shop, the difference is huge, would nearly rather die of thirst than drink Dawn milk, yet I love a pint of CMP. So no, milk is not just milk. Just like beer isn't just beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dave147 wrote: »
    We get CMP at home and Dawn at work as that's all they have in the local shop, the difference is huge, would nearly rather die of thirst than drink Dawn milk, yet I love a pint of CMP. So no, milk is not just milk. Just like beer isn't just beer.

The containers could make a difference I suppose or the packaging enviroment,milk is easily tainted.

Have to ask but what is CMP milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They've probably imported foreign spuds* in anticipation of a shortage.

Foreign spuds?

Send them back to where they came from! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I don't see sauces as a massive expense, There is often a special offers for instance 2 jars of Dolmio for around 3 euro or so and that's 4 meals for me.

You can make a basic pasta sauce with 3 large onions, herbs/oregano, bay leaves, water, tin of tomatoe purée for under €1

This will do as a base sauce for at least 6 meals and can be frozen.

Just add meat, make meatballs and add pasta etc for extremely cheap and delicious dinners.

7.30am and I'm hungry now for dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You can make a basic pasta sauce with 3 large onions, herbs/oregano, bay leaves, water, tin of tomatoe purée for under €1

This will do as a base sauce for at least 6 meals and can be frozen.

Just add meat, make meatballs and add pasta etc for extremely cheap and delicious dinners.

7.30am and I'm hungry now for dinner!

6 meals from one tin of tomato puree, you must be joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Dave147 wrote: »

If you're making beer, you decide whether to use hard water, what kind and what quantity of hops, malt, whether you want to make wheat beer or rice beer, whether you want to add spices, fruits or botanicals...an infinite variety of possibilities.

If you're making milk, you collect it from a cow and pasteurise it.

I simply don't believe there's a real difference rather than perceived. And I won't until I see some evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you're making beer, you decide whether to use hard water, what kind and what quantity of hops, malt, whether you want to make wheat beer or rice beer, whether you want to add spices, fruits or botanicals...an infinite variety of possibilities.

I simply don't believe there's a real difference rather than perceived. And I won't until I see some evidence.
    Milk from the cow is different than milk in the carton, there's plenty of processes it goes through between field and table. So yes it can be very different.

ever tasted milk in the US? They house their cattle and feed them chemicals, and you can taste that alright. I'd imagine small local dairies would take milk from mainly grass fed cows and that would be noticable in the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

planetX wrote:

6 meals from one tin of tomato puree, you must be joking?

I'm not actually. I do it regularly. You can add more purée if you like.

DOnt forget the meat/meatballs and pasta all get added to it to make a chunky meal. The sauce alone stretches a long way.

Also adding a carrot, some mushroom and a chopped up rasher bulks it up even further and not adding too much to the cost

Edit: forgot to add.....more onions makes even more sauce. It's all to personal taste really.

In fairness only having meat 3 out of 7 days is a massive sacrafice rather than a simple thing.

Perhaps for you. I found no issue with it at all however. I think similar to my last posts a certain amount of imagination and knowledge and practice is required. People often have a "IF not meat then WHAT?" attitude and they simply can not answer it.

There is however a whole world of pulses, beans, vegetables, tofus and much much more out there and little of it as tasteless and unfulfilling as many people think.

It takes effort and imagination to work out what to have, how to cook it well, and so forth but it is an initial outlay of effort that I have found has paid off over a long period of time. Both on the variety and enjoyment I get from my meals - and on the money it leaves in my pocket.
    I don't see sauces as a massive expense, There is often a special offers for instance 2 jars of Dolmio for around 3 euro or so and that's 4 meals for me.

It is not massive but it adds up over time compared to self made alternatives. Plus many sauces contain sugars, salts and flavor/color enhancers that are unncessesary as they are unhealthy.

Not that I do not use them myself. I do on occasion. But i like to balance it out with things I made myself. When I quickly roast up some garlic, tomatoes and aubergine and then pulverise them with a hand blender and put it on pasta I am producing something that is not only cheaper than an equivalant jar of sauce... but cheaper... more flavorsome.... fresher.... free of artificial additives to the recipie... and just basically more satisfying. Nor is any of it that difficult or consuiming of time, resources or effort.

I'm not actually. I do it regularly. You can add more purée if you like.

DOnt forget the meat/meatballs and pasta all get added to it to make a chunky meal. The sauce alone stretches a long way.

Also adding a carrot, some mushroom and a chopped up rasher bulks it up even further and not adding too much to the cost

Edit: forgot to add.....more onions makes even more sauce. It's all to personal taste really.

see that's the thing - it's actually cheaper for me to buy a jar of sauce with chunky veg in that to make it from scratch, because I would need a lot more than just a tin of puree. I want courgette and pepper, and tomatoes, and I don't want to make a cauldron-full because I don't have space to store it all, nor do I want to eat it every day for the next week. Plus I save on electricity and washing up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Thread title made me actually feel physical pain for a second. Thanks OP

Perhaps for you. I found no issue with it at all however. I think similar to my last posts a certain amount of imagination and knowledge and practice is required. People often have a "IF not meat then WHAT?" attitude and they simply can not answer it.

There is however a whole world of pulses, beans, vegetables, tofus and much much more out there and little of it as tasteless and unfulfilling as many people think.

It takes effort and imagination to work out what to have, how to cook it well, and so forth but it is an initial outlay of effort that I have found has paid off over a long period of time. Both on the variety and enjoyment I get from my meals - and on the money it leaves in my pocket.

To be honest I'm happy to spend the money and have meat, I'm not overly concerned about how much I spend on shopping.

Advertisement