Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Architecture Cache Problem anyone?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

The following sequence of memory access is recorded during execution of a program running on a CPU with the following cache specification:

Cache Size: 16 kbytes
    Cache Line Size: 16 bytes
    Cache Orgainisation: 4-Way Set Associative

Memory Address Accessed Way used
    0x2087A460 Way 0
    0x29432468 Way 1
    0x45628460 Way 2
    0x2087A46C Way 0
    0x29B3C460 Way 3
    0xC4675460 Way ???
    Table Q2: Cache status during program execution

Show the Set and Tag values in each cache way after each operation.

If the cache uses the FIFO replacement strategy, which Way will be used for the memory access at 0xC4675430?

If the cache uses the LRU replacement strategy, which Way will be used for the memory access at 0xC4675430?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a - this has nothing to do with windows

b - no one is going to do your homework for you

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81634997#post81634997
    DJpaudie wrote: »
    IN 2nd yr mobile comms. Good course and as mrandycapp said MOST of the stuff is assumed no knowledge before going in. Although ya the maths is a bit if pain. Would be worth having honors maths as your mixed with 400 others from all different courses so things move at a pretty fast pace! Other than that it's a great course and tbh the size of the classes are usually small enough ... only about 20 in my class and 7 in 3rd yr!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DJpaudie

a - this has nothing to do with windows

b - no one is going to do your homework for you

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81634997#post81634997

a- this has everything to do with windows! Or does your machine run without a cache?? Didn't think so...

b-I aint asking anyone to do my homework for me!! A forum is for like minded people to discuss topics they want to talk about. So don't post if you don't want to! I hope your other posts are a bit letter than that! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DJpaudie wrote: »
    a- this has everything to do with windows! Or does your machine run without a cache?? Didn't think so...
    If you turn off the cache in the BIOS then yes it does.
    b-I aint asking anyone to do my homework for me!!
    Then why are you asking for some very specific information on very obsolete hardware ?
    A forum is for like minded people to discuss topics they want to talk about. So don't post if you don't want to! I hope your other posts are a bit letter than that! :)
    Please read the windows charter
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47980

Advertisement