Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I work out if an open gas fire can be converted to fuel burning

Options
  • 19-11-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi

I have an open fireplaces downstairs which has a gas connection and grate. Does anyone know how I can work out if this could be converted to a normal open fireplace for log and coal burning?

Many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Open gas fire ?? Make and Model of fire ???

Or picture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

If you have an existing gas fire installed all will have to be removed.

Gas fire, gas pipe work disconnected remove in full and made save all to be removed and made save. Call a local RGI installer to make all good and save.

If you installed a flexi flue liner for a gas fire this would not be suitable for a solid fuel fire and would have to be replaced or removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

And if you don't have a fireback you'll need one.

Needs a pict really to say much

Hold on, do ya not have a gas fire, just a fireplace with a gas connection next to the hearth?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

It,s a grate with a gas connection. Do these pics help?

• Advertisement

You should not even use it has a gas fire and it should be condemned.

All will have to be remove along with installing a new fire back.

Gas fire, gas pipe work disconnected remove in full and made save all to be removed and made save. Call a local RGI installer to make all good and save.

If you installed a flexi flue liner for a gas fire this would not be suitable for a solid fuel fire and would have to be replaced or removed.

jimjimt wrote: »
    You should not even use it has a gas fire and it should be condemned.

All will have to be remove along with installing a new fire back.

Well as it happens I never use it as I believe they are very inefficient. But as a matter of interest, why should it be condemned? It's been like this since I bought the house a number of years ago.

Ya that's in a awful state alright.

Monsclara wrote: »
    Well as it happens I never use it as I believe they are very inefficient. But as a matter of interest, why should it be condemned? It's been like this since I bought the house a number of years ago.

That fire could produce carbon monoxide and kill you;)

Any RGI coming across that fire these days wouldnt take the chance and would chop it off.

I hope you have plenty of perminent ventilation in the room if you are tempted to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

RGII to disconnect and cap that fire, do not use it. Chimney sweep to inspect the chimney for obstruction.

DoneDL wrote: »
    RGII to disconnect and cap that fire, do not use it. Chimney sweep to inspect the chimney for obstruction.

The rgii can do a smoke test

corkgsxr wrote: »

I wouldnt trust a smoke/spillage test on it, seen them fine today shi5e tomorrow.

Even if the coals were placed incorrectly. It would be enough to produce more carbon monoxide that the fire should produce.

Also the fire has not been clean in years which would suggest that it never had been service. Possibly the chimney has never been cleaned or inspected either. The fire back looks cracked.

Is their any permeant ventilation in the room ?

Any ways if you like it out you need a RGII installer to make it all safe. If you want to use a gas fire again you will need a RGII installer to investigate and recommend what has to be done.

Either outcome you will need a good RGII installer.

Thanks all. Had no idea it was dangerous. Will contact RGII and find local installer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I asked RGII before to do a smoke test and they told me to f*%# off and do it myself!!!

shane0007 wrote: »
    I asked RGII before to do a smoke test and they told me to f*%# off and do it myself!!!

i mean the rgii installer/repair guy :)

i mean the rgii installer/repair guy :)
    I know, it was a bit of humour!

I know, it was a bit of humour!

I smiled

I smiled
    I know you did. I feel your love....

• Advertisement

I know you did. I feel your love....

Male bonding:D, you can't beat it, ahhh....

gary71 wrote: »

I feel all warm and happy now

I am trying, Gary, and I know with your help I can get there....

I am trying, Gary, and I know with your help I can get there....

I feel my work is done:cool:, I think your infraction days are behind you, just remember all your fellow RGI's are just friends you haven't met yet ;)

just remember all your fellow RGI's are just friends you haven't met yet ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ljNnUflLmk&feature=related

I think your infraction days are behind you

Oh how I reminisce over those wild days!!! If only I could go back in time, even for just one day...

:pac::pac:

Thank you Billy, i really could of done with that yesterday when a super sized can of WD40 exploded over me in appreciation of dropping a hydraulic block on it, in front of a customer who had been trying to understand why I was blaming the installer for the return pipe that popped out of the boiler flooding the garage:mad: which in turn blew the fuse board just as I packed the tools away:((I never said I was good)

Advertisement