Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm scared :(

Options
  • 19-11-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I did a pregnancy test this morning and got a positive. I know I should be bursting with joy but a part of me is scared slightly after going through an ectopic pregnancy this year. I won't get to my GP til tomorrow to confirm the pregnancy as they're busy but already I feel like over analysing every twinge. Any words of advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I had a miscarriage in dec last year when I got my positive pregnancy test in feb I was the same over thinking every ache and pain. It's a scary time but my little girl is now nearly 3 weeks old!

I would say get your gp to refer you to the early pregnancy unit for a scan to check position I had one done at 6 weeks and it really reassured me.

Oh and congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Kaylami wrote: »
    I had a miscarriage in dec last year when I got my positive pregnancy test in feb I was the same over thinking every ache and pain. It's a scary time but my little girl is now nearly 3 weeks old!

I would say get your gp to refer you to the early pregnancy unit for a scan to check position I had one done at 6 weeks and it really reassured me.

Oh and congratulations :)
    Congratulations to you too :) I feel like staying still til I find out everything is ok. I have never been so scared. Got a very clear positive so I hope that's a good sign. I'll try to be more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

KKkitty, I have been there so know exactly how you feel. Remember you have a 90% chance of everything being in the right place this time. Get an early scan if you can, but there's no point in having one too early either. 6 weeks should be good.
    Try to think positively and try not to over analyse every twinge. Easier said than done I know.

I suffered a ruptured ectopic in 2010 but now have a beautiful 11 month old girl.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Thank you Xdancer :) HCG levels must be high enough with how clear the positive was. I'm trying to think happy thoughts but as you've said it's hard. That percentage is very reassuring so I really hope it's accurate.

It's what I was told at the time, and I did a lot of research afterwards and it seems that all the ectopic websites agree.

It's a terrifying wait to find out if everything is ok, but I will never forget hearing my little one's heartbeat for the first time :)
    I hope everything will be ok for you!

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    It's what I was told at the time, and I did a lot of research afterwards and it seems that all the ectopic websites agree.

It's a terrifying wait to find out if everything is ok, but I will never forget hearing my little one's heartbeat for the first time :)
    I hope everything will be ok for you!
    Hopefully I'll get my scan next week so my mind can be put at ease. A woman from my home town works in the early pregnancy unit in my local hospital so she said to give her a shout when I got pregnant again and she'll get me in as early as possible.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll get my scan next week so my mind can be put at ease. A woman from my home town works in the early pregnancy unit in my local hospital so she said to give her a shout when I got pregnant again and she'll get me in as early as possible.

That's great. I was given a scan at 4.5 weeks and while nothing was visible in my uterus, nothing was visible in my remaining tube either :) I was given a second scan at almost 7 weeks and heard and saw her heartbeat. It was the best moment :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Xdancer wrote: »

That's great. I was given a scan at 4.5 weeks and while nothing was visible in my uterus, nothing was visible in my remaining tube either :) I was given a second scan at almost 7 weeks and heard and saw her heartbeat. It was the best moment :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Thank you so much. I've had some cramping on and off the last week. Did you experience that?

Thank you so much. I've had some cramping on and off the last week. Did you experience that?

To be honest I can't remember. I did experience a fair few pains due to stretching of the scar tissue at various stages.
    If in any doubt call your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I had a miscarriage in April last year but am now 26 weeks pregnant and all is going well so far. I was terrified before my early scan at around 9 weeks. There is nothing anyone can say that will stop you from feeling terrified but just try your best to relax. You will eventually! Oh and by the way, I had cramping on and off for the first couple of weeks of my pregnancy as did my sister. Its normal :)

• Advertisement

All going well this will be my 3rd child. I don't even remember if I had cramping with my other 2. The scan will reassure me no end. Just had dinner and feel so bloated and tired. Hope that's another good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

All going well this will be my 3rd child. I don't even remember if I had cramping with my other 2. The scan will reassure me no end. Just had dinner and feel so bloated and tired. Hope that's another good sign.

Cramped from 4-6 weeks on both my pregnancies! Fingers crossed all is well - be positive as the odds are with you :)

dublinlady wrote: »

Cramped from 4-6 weeks on both my pregnancies! Fingers crossed all is well - be positive as the odds are with you :)
    Thanks so much :) I cried a little when I took the test and realised it was positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

oh KKkitty, congratulations first of all, I remember your sad story from earlier this year very well and can only imagine how scared you are just now.

Try to take comfort in the knowledge that you have two kids that came out of one of your tubes, and chances are they came out of the tube that is still there - the faulty one is gone.

When I discovered I was pregnant four years after my ectopic, it was the scariest time of my life. I remember only sleeping on one side to make sure gravity would help the passage through the tube until I finally got an early scan at 6 weeks. Mind you I only had to wait 15 days from confirmation to scan, but it was the scariest and longest time in my life. Hope you get your scan soon, I am with you in my thoughts and wish you all the best!

re the cramping, I had that, and I had about every possible complaint except morning sickness until I got my scan, primarily my shoulder was very sore, I believe it was the nerves acting up big time

Hi xiwang. Thanks for your reply. Funny you mentioned lying on one side because I did the same thing. I don't know what it is but especially after seeing my doctor today and he said the chances of another ectopic happening are very slim I'm feeling better about it. I'm also feeling like things are where they should be this time. The last time I couldn't let myself get attached to the pregnancy for some strange reason. I know a part of me will keep over analysing every pain but the sensible part will override that.

Glad to hear you are feeling better about it. Do you have a date for your scan yet? After I had my scan my pains and cramps magically disappeared, it must have been phantom pains. Take care for now!

xiwang wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are feeling better about it. Do you have a date for your scan yet? After I had my scan my pains and cramps magically disappeared, it must have been phantom pains. Take care for now!
    It's happening next Wednesday. I'm scared and excited in equal measure about it. Thanks so much :)

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope it all goes well!

xiwang wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow. Hope it all goes well!
    Thanks so much xiwang. Just want it over and done with now.

• Advertisement

Hi, just back from my scan. Everything is where it should be :) I'm 5 weeks 5 days pregnant. They are calling me back next week to get a clearer picture.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

congrats:)

thanks for keeping us posted, what a relief, I am very very happy for you!

That's brilliant news. Thanks for the update. :)

Thanks everyone :) The midwife thought the heartbeat was weak but she also said since I'm not over the 6 week stage it's normal enough but just to be on d safe side she wants to see me next week. All going well my EDD as far as the scan is concerned it's my late father's birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That is great news KKkitty

Thank you very much. I hope next weeks scan goes well. I'm a bit worried about the baby's heartbeat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thank you very much. I hope next weeks scan goes well. I'm a bit worried about the baby's heartbeat though.

Don't be worried - it's prob just cos so early :) keep positive - it'll be next week before u know it :)

dublinlady wrote: »

Don't be worried - it's prob just cos so early :) keep positive - it'll be next week before u know it :)
    I'm trying to stay positive. It's next Thursday so hope all goes well again. At least the baby is where it's supposed to be this time :) Even my GP said if a scan was done before the 6 week mark that everything might not be clear enough. For what size he/she is a proper heartbeat might not show up for another week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm trying to stay positive. It's next Thursday so hope all goes well again. At least the baby is where it's supposed to be this time :) Even my GP said if a scan was done before the 6 week mark that everything might not be clear enough. For what size he/she is a proper heartbeat might not show up for another week.

Definitely a great sign you saw your little ones hb! Alot can't be seen until past 6 weeks. Positive thoughts, good luck next thurs :)

Advertisement