Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're doing it wrong

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant back in the day ! :D
    I remember you could find some little go-kart type car. It was more "real" graphics wise than GTA3 at the time, and I think I enjoyed the story...going into houses etc.
    Maybe have my rose-tinted glasses on here.

i know i liked it back in the day. i think it had licensed cars in it? plus a good part of london. Story was not too bad and was really cool that you sow it from both sides. though i would not play today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I thought The Getaway was a great game because I used to live in London and the game was very accurate with the setting so it was fun virtually visiting places you have been to before in real life.

I also didn't cop on to resting on the wall. I found out about by chance after playing it for several hours, the game would be almost impossible to finish without it.

Also when playing Fallout 3 I always want to be a good guy, didn't know that being a bad guy could be so much different but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Wasn't there some game on ps2, which was something like gta, but in London and you play as a cop and can play same story from the side of the thief?
    I really can't remember the damn name of it...

So anyway I finished that game and I found it extremely HARD! Because in each missions you start with on health bar and there are no med kits. So I died a lot. I replied same missions countless times trying to do it in one life...
    So anyway, when I finished both sides of the game I was messing around London and after some shoot out I barely got away alive. All screen was red and I was about to die and start again, where's my character leaned on the wall, breathed heavily and regenerated its health.... I felt like full underpants on head retarded...

Yup, that was me learning first time in my life about regenerative health system...

Myself and my friends still take the piss outta this when we're gaming these days, no matter what we're playing.

"Help me out, man. I'm taking heay fire!"

"It's grand. Just have a bit of a lean and the bullets will fall out of you."

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I am always wondering am I playing rpg type games correctly. Take Oblivion for example, I created a new character, did every side mission, joined every guild, completed the main story, and that was that. I am not likely to play it again. Instead should I create a sneaky character and do join the thieves guild or dark brotherhood. Finish those quests, then roll a new character (say a fighter) and do the applicable quests, same with a mage type character. Am I losing out on something, or does it matter

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Batman Arkham City and Asylum. Combat was just mash buttons until i see the counter symbol then mash triangle. I don't think I ever got a combo higher than 6 as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I am always wondering am I playing rpg type games correctly. Take Oblivion for example, I created a new character, did every side mission, joined every guild, completed the main story, and that was that. I am not likely to play it again. Instead should I create a sneaky character and do join the thieves guild or dark brotherhood. Finish those quests, then roll a new character (say a fighter) and do the applicable quests, same with a mage type character. Am I losing out on something, or does it matter

Depends on how you define "missing out".
    If you play a well rounded character and do all the side quests and join all the guilds you'll get to see all the content.

However, you miss out on the thrill of being an armour-up-the-wazoo fortress of a warrior who can slay armies that stand before him, and having to run like a little girl because your weapon won't damage the ancestor ghost that's flinging fireballs at you. Playing a fragile thief that isn't likely to survive a toe-to-toe slugfest, and would much rather find you where you sleep... leaving you alive but stealing everything you own right up to the pajamas you're wearing. Then sell it back to you :) Being a peaceful herbalist who has no interest in saving the world or closing oblivion gates, and just wants to make a comfortable living making and selling potions. (Which sounds boring, but it's a dangerous world out there, it can be an exciting place to be a wimp)

I guess it all depends on what you want out of the game. I try to play like Retro was suggesting, but it kills me to make choices that I know are closing off side-quests or rewards just because they don't fit the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Great Thread.

When I was really young playing Super Mario World, I couldn't get the hang of flying. I can do it now before anyone takes the piss!

Also in Max Payne would often ignore bullet time completly, that's more of a choice I guess.

But the worst offender of all............

Playing Vice City on GTA3 on PC (either that or VC) and I hadn't mapped the keyboard correctly.

got to the Heli missions (which are hard enough for me as is) and wasn't able to turn the copter, just lean it left/right/forwards back.

I got through it eventually, but it aged me.........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Run through Timesplitters 1/2/3 story Mode without killing anyone.

It's almost possible, boss kills are a must, but I've ran through story mode without killing a soul other than that. Twas a great walk in the park. Same can't be said for multiplayer though :P

Beating everyone else in Age Of Empires whilst staying in the first Age, leaving everyone to get to the most advanced age. Certainly doesn't follow the 'rules' of the game but it's a very hard challenge for AOE veterans.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was I knew more tricks in PES.

I also cannot bring myself to use the Analogue Stick over the D-Pad (PS3).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

noodler wrote: »
    I also cannot bring myself to use the Analogue Stick over the D-Pad (PS3).

My brother's like that. It came to a bit of head when I sat him down for a few games of Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube, and the tip of his thumb dwarved the entire d-pad. I think it was at that point I realized, in his case, it wasn't so much a preference as it was a manic compulsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    My brother's like that. It came to a bit of head when I sat him down for a few games of Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube, and the tip of his thumb dwarved the entire d-pad. I think it was at that point I realized, in his case, it wasn't so much a preference as it was a manic compulsion.

I should clarify that I only have the D-pad obesession in PES.

Other types of games are fine.

What makes it worse is the D-Pad on the ps3 is noticeably 'stiffer' than the one that wa son the ps2 controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lad off here used to play in PES tournies i organised with his index fingers on Dpad and buttons.

Anyone with a PS2/3 pad to hand try that out, pad on your lap and pressing the buttons like it was a keyboard.

he was quite good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Dark souls.

It's only the second RPG i've ever played, the first was Demons souls(I played that wrong too):o

I know what i should be doing, i frequent the wiki have a guide book etc,
    i just can't get into building a proper character so i kind of just muddle through it.

A little sadistic i suppose, but these two games fascinated me from the time i first heard about them and they continue to.

So i'll just have to continue tanking my way through them very slowly and making things more difficult for myself than they really need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Street Fighter 2

Pick Ryu/Ken - Jump Heavy Kick ->Low Heavy Kick (sweep) ->back off and block ....rinse and repeat till game is completed :P - never picking any other character.

Maybe a mash here and there for a Hadoken , 50/50 whether a Hadoken or Shoryuken would be performed though.

Never bothered to learn the moves - till SF4

Advertisement