Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self monitoring options on HKC sw812

Options
  • 16-11-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I have a HKC SW 812 alarm and am wondering what options are open to me for self monitoring with no landline.
    I bought a HKC SW-DMTC card when i bought the alarm thinking that one day i would get a land line. However i never did get the land line and the dialer was never used. I assume you wouldnt need this card if i were to buy the HKC GSM-P unit? I think the software version i have is 7.33, would i need to have this updated if i was going to install the GSM-P

Are there any generic GSM dialers out there i could use as the GSM-P is an expensive unit

Any suggestions/opinions would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could get a generic gsm cheaper but the HKC digi will give you much more control and features.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jarvey

Jarvey wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a HKC SW 812 alarm and am wondering what options are open to me for self monitoring with no landline.
    I bought a HKC SW-DMTC card when i bought the alarm thinking that one day i would get a land line. However i never did get the land line and the dialer was never used. I assume you wouldnt need this card if i were to buy the HKC GSM-P unit? I think the software version i have is 7.33, would i need to have this updated if i was going to install the GSM-P

Are there any generic GSM dialers out there i could use as the GSM-P is an expensive unit

Any suggestions/opinions would be much appreciated

Thanks Kool kid. Do you have any idea how much the GSM P from hkc costs these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Do you have any idea how much the GSM P from hkc costs these days ?

7.33 will work for the software version. They cost about €330 in the suppliers. You would need engineer access to the alarm system to install one. A cheaper option would be to add a GSM that is triggered off the outputs of the alarm but the HKC GSM-P will give you more information plus remote access to the alarm. It can also be used for triggering outputs for heating/lights. More expensive but has more options in the long run.

altor wrote: »
    7.33 will work for the software version. They cost about €330 in the suppliers. You would need engineer access to the alarm system to install one. A cheaper option would be to add a GSM that is triggered off the outputs of the alarm but the HKC GSM-P will give you more information plus remote access to the alarm. It can also be used for triggering outputs for heating/lights. More expensive but has more options in the long run.

Thanks Altor,

I got my GSM P delivered today and have it installed and almost fully working. I can recieve texts from the alarm to my mobile. I can set the part guard A and partguard B via text and they work fine. I can get a status report from the alarm but i cannot get it to do a full arm via text.

I send user code SET or ARM and i am getting back the following:
    "Arm not allowed for user with USER MENU" Do you have any idea what the problem is or what i have missed. I have tryed different sims with same result.
    Another thing i am wondering is can i get the alarm to call my phone at all with the GSM P? I also have a SW DMTC but never installed it. If this is installed can it be programed to call via the GSM P?

Final question is how do you wire the tamper on the GSMP to the Panel? Instructions that came with gsm looks like a single wire from output 4 on the GSM, is this correct and where do you wire it in to the panel? I have two free tampers on Zone 1 and Zone 2.

Thanks Altor,

I got my GSM P delivered today and have it installed and almost fully working. I can recieve texts from the alarm to my mobile. I can set the part guard A and partguard B via text and they work fine. I can get a status report from the alarm but i cannot get it to do a full arm via text.

I send user code SET or ARM and i am getting back the following:
    "Arm not allowed for user with USER MENU" Do you have any idea what the problem is or what i have missed. I have tryed different sims with same result.
    Another thing i am wondering is can i get the alarm to call my phone at all with the GSM P? I also have a SW DMTC but never installed it. If this is installed can it be programed to call via the GSM P?

Final question is how do you wire the tamper on the GSMP to the Panel? Instructions that came with gsm looks like a single wire from output 4 on the GSM, is this correct and where do you wire it in to the panel? I have two free tampers on Zone 1 and Zone 2.

You need to go into the text phone options to set what a user can do remotely. Not sure if the user menu is set up for that user if it prohibits a full set remotely for that user. If you have the engineer code you don't need a user or manager menu set up for that user plus its much easier to change any setting in engineer mode.

The GSM once connected to the system takes control of the system so the DMTC basically has no function unless connected to a monitoring station. It wont ring your phone as there is no voice option on the older Securewatch system.

If you go into the GSM menu, GSM options menu, misc options menu, scroll to use cabinet tamper and select yes to activate the tamper on the GSM.

• Advertisement

Not sure if the user menu is set up for that user if it prohibits a full set remotely for that user. If you have the engineer code you don't need a user or manager menu set up for that user plus its much easier to change any setting in engineer mode..

Spot on Altor. I disabled the user menu for this user and i can now fully arm remotely.

If you go into the GSM menu, GSM options menu, misc options menu, scroll to use cabinet tamper and select yes to activate the tamper on the GSM.

I had found this in the menu and enabled it aready but its the wiring of it to the panel i am confused about. Can you explain how to wire it ?

Again thanks very much for your help with this.

I had found this in the menu and enabled it aready but its the wiring of it to the panel i am confused about. Can you explain how to wire it ?

Again thanks very much for your help with this.

Output 4 on the GSM is the tamper for the cover. You need to run one core of cable from this to a free zone tamper in the control panel. Make sure you take out the link in the control panel and wire it into the left or right hand side where the tamper link was. Change the zone name to GSM tamper.

Altor thanks very much for your help, all working perfectly now.:)

Altor thanks very much for your help, all working perfectly now.:)

Glad I could help, any other problems you know where we are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bklonica

Hi Altor,
    I have got a generic gsm module which I want to connect to HKS SW812 alarm system. GSM Module have 4 inputs up to 15VDC with Low (<3V) or High Level (>7V)
    It is activated by either loss of gnd (0V) or presence of GND (0V)
    Can you tell me which of the SW812 outputs should I use?
    I have tried connecting GSM module's input with SW812 Alarm output but it didn't work.
    Which outputs are NO or NC low voltage?
    Any hints which output should be used to activate GSM Module?

GSM Module Manual:
    http://www.elmes.pl/admin/upload/pliki/GSM2%20manual.pdf

Thanks for help.
    Bartosz

• Advertisement

bklonica wrote: »
    Hi Altor,
    I have got a generic gsm module which I want to connect to HKS SW812 alarm system. GSM Module have 4 inputs up to 15VDC with Low (<3V) or High Level (>7V)
    It is activated by either loss of gnd (0V) or presence of GND (0V)
    Can you tell me which of the SW812 outputs should I use?
    I have tried connecting GSM module's input with SW812 Alarm output but it didn't work.
    Which outputs are NO or NC low voltage?
    Any hints which output should be used to activate GSM Module?
    Thanks for help.

Have you got engineer access to the alarm?

Have you got engineer access to the alarm?

Yes, I do have engineering access.
    I have changed alarm output polarization from pos to neg but it didn't help.
    I wonder should I get a resistor 4.7kOhm as per manual?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

No there are no resistors involved. There are 4 outputs on the sw812 and I think they are marked on the pcb. It should be a simple matter of connecting an output on sw812 to an input on gsm and then programming the gsm to send an appropriate message. For example if you connect the panic output then program a text message that says panic button etc. for that input.
    Presumably you have powered up the gsm by connecting 12v to it?

Hi John,
    GSM module is connected to permanent 12V power supply. It does call predefined number when in test mode but I can not make the SW812 to trigger the GSm module to call/sent txt. I have checked current on output "alarm" when SW812 was idle and when it was in "screaming" mode and I didn't see any difference in current 13V in both cases.

I have run few checks: GSM Module connected to Panic output for ease of activation. Output on it's own reads 13V in idle state and 0.2V when alarm is active. Reading taken with positive (red) probe connected to "+" on the matherboard and negative (black) probe connected to panic output.
    However when panic output connected to gsm Module it is not reacting for change of current :-(
    I have checked inputs on the gsm module and they read 13V with nothing connected to them?!

If you only want to recieve a message for a panic alarm then the only things you should have connected are:
    1) 12 v power supply in alarm control panel to to + and - on gsm
    2) single wire going from panic output on the alarm control panel to an input on the gsm. Program the gsm to send a message reading 'panic attack' when that input is toggled.

Now if you wish to add other things like 'alarm activation' repeat the process by connecting a single wire from the output reading alarm on the alarm control panel to another input on the gsm.
    If you wish the gsm to be tamper proof then connect the terminals labelled tamper on the gsm to a spare tamper circuit in the alarm control panel.

John, It all sounds easy and that's exactly what I have done. The only reason why I have changed output to panic is easy activation method. Unfortunately it doesn't trigger the GSM Module to call/send text
    I'm afraid I'll have to find a 10 kOhm resistor and install it as per picture C on the manual pdf http://www.elmes.pl/admin/upload/pli...2%20manual.pdf That is an advice I've found on some electronics forum.
    Any idea where can I find 10kOhm resistor in co.Kildare? I have looked online but it is sold in batches of 50 or more :-) I need just one. J have checked some old battery and mobile chargers but everything there is in region of 50 Ohm.
    Thanks for help. So far I have tried all possible combination and its time for additional parts (as per picture C and D) unless someone has a new idea.
    /Bartosz

The easiest activation method would be to touch the end of the single wire from your gsm input to the negative side of the alarm battery which will give it the 0V it needs to switch.
    Are you sure that any earlier changes you made in the outputs menu on the alarm have been put back to default?
    Don't know about the resistor. Are you certain you have the gsm programmed properly for the input in question?

hi, connecting module's input with negative is not triggering calling. However connecting the same input to positive makes module to call predefined number.
    How to deal with this?

Hi all,
    I've started from scratch. I've noticed that my readings on multimeter didn't match once module read. I had 13v on output and diagnostics on module was reading Low?! It was all down to the way it was measured.
    opt. 1: (red) to "+" and (black) to panic output looked very promising at first. Alarm idle 13v, active 0.2v :-) however module didn't see it this way. It read Low all the time for both states?!
    I changed approach and swapped probes
    Opt. 2: (black) to "-" and (red) to panic output
    This time readings were corresponding to what module was reading. In idle 0.6v but in alarm state it wasn't different and read 0.6v too. No change means no Call:-(
    I've checked other outputs and the only one which changes its state is "-" on external bell. Current change there from 12v to 0.6v. This is where module it's connected to right now and it works.
    However this is not connected properly to where I wish it to be. Outputs panic and alarm show no change between idle and alarm state and constantly give 0.6v
    Changing polarisation from POS to NEG on the Panic output change Idle state potential to 0.0V and 0.6V in the alarm state- meaningless difference.
    Should these outputs be somehow activated?

Hi all,
    For People interested. I have resoled connection issue:-)
    As Earlier I couldn't figure out how to connect the external GSM Module to the outputs of the HKC SW-812.
    Finally I was advised that SW-812 changes 0V (mass) on outputs NOT as I anticipated 12(+V). This means when you're looking for the change of current on the outputs yo should measure it with multimeter attached: red(+) to (+) on SW and black (-) to the outputs!
    In my case as per GSM Module's manufacturer installation guide I had to use a resistor ranging from 1-20 kOhm linking (+) on the GSM module and input on the module. The Module works like a dream from now on.
    There is one thing which mislead me. The external Bell output (-) on SW-812 seems to be acting like controlled by 12V ( no resistor required in my setup) and I was able to connect gsm module directly to that so when ever external bell went off the module was calling predefined number.
    Thanks for all help.

• Advertisement

good to see you sorted it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Allanjjmurphy

Hi Altor, Can you advise me on a HKC SW812 with a GSM-P dialler. I am moving from a SIM to using the landline (Eircom).
    I have connected the incoming line (RED/GREEN) to the A/B terminals, I have verified that this line is live by putting a phone on the C/D side. However, I'm not sure what to do now. I have removed the SIM to test the landline availability. The dialler is not sending text messages!. Do I need a DMC for the main panel to achieve this?... Thanks.. Alan

does that gsm need to be programmed with the eircom server's number?

I'm not sure, I don't think so. I had a look at the GSM menu's and sub menu's. I don't see reference to registration or input of a server/phone. However, the supplier told me that this model (HKC GSM-P) can text directly from the GSM modem. I also checked with Eircom that I have TEXT messaging capability and caller ID is active.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You need to get a ptsn dialer. I'm almost 100% sure that the GSM dialer won't work without a sim.

I know that I can mount a DIGI MODEM CARD onto the HKC panel directly and terminate a connection to the GSM dialler Line output terminals.
    I was looking at the other route because I was told it was possible. But, I had a gut feeling that this was not going to be possible without a digi card. All the manuals make reference to the digi modem card. So, I going to buy one. Thanks for your advise..

If you get the digi modem card then you won't need the gsm-p at all right? that is worth well over 300 euro new.

Not sure about the price but I'm probably going to get one anyway. I will keep the GSM-P dialler as a backup, or use it elsewhere. There brilliant units. anyway, its already installed and configured.

Hi Altor, Can you advise me on a HKC SW812 with a GSM-P dialler. I am moving from a SIM to using the landline (Eircom).
    I have connected the incoming line (RED/GREEN) to the A/B terminals, I have verified that this line is live by putting a phone on the C/D side. However, I'm not sure what to do now. I have removed the SIM to test the landline availability. The dialler is not sending text messages!. Do I need a DMC for the main panel to achieve this?... Thanks.. Alan

The GSM-P does not text over the land line. You would need a modem card to do so. You will also have to remove the GSM-P as if the two are installed the GSM-P assumes control. Different story if your using it for monitoring through a 24 hour monitoring station as the GSM is used as a back up line.

• Advertisement

Thanks... Great help.. Cheers

Advertisement