Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught Drinking On Facebook, Remanded In Custody.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

So the guy didn't dispute it, thats proof enough in this case. But how can a picture be proof that someone is drinking alcohol, I mean it's a still image. Where is the proof it is actually alcohol or he is not just rollplaying. Would this really stand up in court as genuine proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

looksee wrote: »
    No, this is about his drinking when he shouldn't be. He could have been seen in a pub, or drinking a can on the street and been reported, the fact that a pic went on fb was incidental. You can be on fb as part of a large crowd, people who know you may recognise you, but no-one could be expected to contact every member of the crowd to ask can they put the photo in the newspaper.

I totally agree about fb though, I have an account solely to keep in touch with a group I belong to, everything else is locked down tight and I almost never even look at my own page, really I would prefer not to be involved at all.

He should not have been drinking, no dispute there he deserves what he gets.

Can anyone post pictures and other stuff about people on fb without their knowledge? I'm not a fb fan because I feel people post way to much private stuff on there and younger people are not aware of the dangers of posting such details.

I don't think anyone should post pictures without the consent of the person first.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Without actually seeing the picture in question all anyone can do is speculate.

My guess is a 57 yr old alcoholic wouldn't be exactly up-to-date on facebook privacy settings.

My Dad is 56 and he still cant grasp how to use the little red notifications on the top left corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

he's a dumbass too, theres is no doubt a term in his contract of employment that states something about his actions in or out of work reflecting poorly on his employer. hes also a semi public figure working for a local authority or something. idiot should have known better, he also by all reports listed his employer on FB thus through his actions linking his employer to his actions and possibly tarnishing their reputation, if there is a clause in his contract about same then he could face disciplinary action. if i owned that company and a homophobic ****wit of an employee did the same thing their ass would be fired too withough hesitation. i believe he has won his case though.

if someone want to rant and talk ballcocks on facebook use a fake name for christ sake dont use your own. that way its not traced back to you and wont bite you on the arse some day.

as for the pics, he may not have conscented but once it was taken he could have said "here delete that will ya" he didnt.

and no ive never had my photo taken without my conscent. when it has been i've asked for it to be deleted. when you're a supersecret agent like me you cant have every tom dick and harry tacking your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Can anyone post pictures and other stuff about people on fb without their knowledge? I'm .

very easily, you simply add the photo to your timeline and do not tag ever person in it etc the pic then appears in your timeline

as for writing stuff you use your fingers then hit the post button ands its there, no one can prevent you from doing it they can only ask you not to or to remove it after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

He was on bail on condition that he did not consume alcohol, he broke that condition, serves him right!
    Garsai can and should use any lawfully available source of evidence.

Yep,

Back the authorities no matter what.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Huh? Can't see any problem here at all. He was warned by the Judge not to consume alcohol and his sentencing was delayed to see if he would comply with that court order. He didn't do so and as a result the sentence will be passed down.

Even leaving aside the fact that he's going against court orders, Facebook is the public domain and of course it should be used in evidence.

Don't you worry about precedents though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Someone must have ratted him out !
    But it wouldn't surprise me if cops could by pass your privacy settings anyway, Its not too hard to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

charlemont wrote: »
    Someone must have ratted him out !
    But it wouldn't surprise me if cops could by pass your privacy settings anyway, Its not too hard to do.

If they did they would need court approval except in an emergency situation. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0019/sec0004.html#sec4

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0019/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The world is gone mad.

Heh heh, I love new complications that occur due to Facebook. Things you thought might never happen, do.

Nearly as bad as the swedish one who was the subject of a death threat on a Facebook page so she screenshots it and put it on her page. Facebook bans her for breach of privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Could be non alcoholic beer, if that's what he was drinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I seriously doubt the Gardai we're spying on an alcoholic's Facebook or monitoring it, the Sergeant said he "received" the pictures.

Must have been a "concerned citizen" :rolleyes:.

Some nosey, wimp of a thing with nothing to do except rat on someone for having a can. What a hero. Hope the coward gets his comeuppance.

Faolchu wrote: »
    very easily, you simply add the photo to your timeline and do not tag ever person in it etc the pic then appears in your timeline

as for writing stuff you use your fingers then hit the post button ands its there, no one can prevent you from doing it they can only ask you not to or to remove it after the fact.

I know how it's done, what I want to know is can the person posting about other people be charged with anything.

if someone did take your pic and post it on fb, would you be offended ?

I know how it's done, what I want to know is can the person posting about other people be charged with anything.

if someone did take your pic and post it on fb, would you be offended ?

Yes most people would be offended but I don't think any offence is committed.

I have been hearing stories like this for the past few years, a couple of PI cases thrown out of court because of photos on face book, criminal cases because of Harresment on Facebook, hence why I deleted my account ages ago.

I have been hearing stories like this for the past few years, a couple of PI cases thrown out of court because of photos on face book, criminal cases because of Harresment on Facebook, hence why I deleted my account ages ago.

I don't think it's right people can post stuff on fb without your knowledge especially if it's in the privacy of your own home.

This is nothing to do with the man in the op, it's the way he was caught out that caught my attention, it could happen to anyone it seems.

I don't think it's right people can post stuff on fb without your knowledge especially if it's in the privacy of your own home.

This is nothing to do with the man in the op, it's the way he was caught out that caught my attention, it could happen to anyone it seems.

I agree with you hence why I left Facebook, if you don't think it's right then leave FB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

How's the dodgy PI/harassment/other criminal trial going for you since ?

Advertisement