Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free parking at shopping centres questioned by city council

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

If we have to pay for parking in places like the crescent then most people are going to just not bother going - I know lots of people with young families that go to the crescent just to stroll around and get a coffee or lunch and then cinema, they usually do a bit of impulse buying too, they'll probably not bother if it's going to cost them a small fortune to stay there.

I can see a lot of people just parking in surrounding estates and running in to do their shopping or, as it'll probably work out cheaper, just do all their groceries and shopping online.

It's going to be a disaster of an idea. I can't get a bus to any of these places, they cancelled the bus service up my way a few months back. I never go into the city as it costs anywhere from 1.50 to 7 euros to park there. Who has that kind of money?? Businesses are really going to pay the price for this stupid idea.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If they had a system like they do in the Pavillions SC in Swords where the first 2 hours are free and anything after that is charged at a normal rate. This would also work for the Parking Garages in the city. It would definitely increase footfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

They blame everything on the doughnut, but the bottom line is the people of Limerick is where the fault lies. Willie O Dea is probably regarded as a genius by most in Limerick. No other city would tolerate our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

liammur wrote: »
    They blame everything on the doughnut, but the bottom line is the people of Limerick is where the fault lies. Willie O Dea is probably regarded as a genius by most in Limerick. No other city would tolerate our politicians.

In what city would he be considered a genius? Surely not Limerick either? He's more of a comedian. Maybe people tired of the lack of decent politicians to vote for go for him because I have yet to find a single person among people I know that voted for him. I think he votes for himself ten thousand times or something... :D

To be fair Irish politics is full of people like Willie so don't blame Limerick for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    If they had a system like they do in the Pavillions SC in Swords where the first 2 hours are free and anything after that is charged at a normal rate. This would also work for the Parking Garages in the city. It would definitely increase footfall.

I arrived at Dundrum S/C on Sunday morning at 10am and there was desperate attempt to get on street parking or free public car park parking by almost everybody we saw. A massive queue to get into a public car park which, to me, looked full. We went into the underground and stayed 3 hours I'd say and paid €2. I don't like paying for parking but a 3 level underground is not cheap to build to I get that.

We also went to Blanchardstown which is MASSIVE and Free. The Square put on the charge and people don't really bother with that place anymore so they just drove more customers away.

Would I pay in Limerick though? Hell no. Their car parks are old and have existed a heck of a long time without a charge. It's like paying to park in Kilkee "steps" car park. I won't because its just greedy so start charging and giving nothing in return.

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I arrived at Dundrum S/C on Sunday morning at 10am and there was desperate attempt to get on street parking or free public car park parking by almost everybody we saw. A massive queue to get into a public car park which, to me, looked full. We went into the underground and stayed 3 hours I'd say and paid €2. I don't like paying for parking but a 3 level underground is not cheap to build to I get that.

We also went to Blanchardstown which is MASSIVE and Free. The Square put on the charge and people don't really bother with that place anymore so they just drove more customers away.

Would I pay in Limerick though? Hell no. Their car parks are old and have existed a heck of a long time without a charge. It's like paying to park in Kilkee "steps" car park. I won't because its just greedy so start charging and giving nothing in return.

People should shop local. I'd much rather pay a car park in Limerick and shop locally. As far as I can see, Dublin is getting more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People should shop local. I'd much rather pay a car park in Limerick and shop locally. As far as I can see, Dublin is getting more than enough.

I was in Ikea, TGI Fridays, Hamleys and Forever 21 so when they decide to build those locally then.........

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Don't we just get the Councillors that we deserve? aren't we some fools to elect these incompetent gob.....s to start with? How many of them have ANY qualifications to back up their hair brained ideas? With a track record like this we deserve Jackie Healy-Rae as President. This proposal needs to be shot down straight away, anyway who would police this? it's private property, presumably they could employ some clampers, that would make them popular. Hit the motorist again, easy target, were're some fools to put up with this. Try that in France and see what would happen, in Ireland we just belly up and take it up the a..e. what a great little country we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In my books loyalty is a two way street.

The council want to entice people into the city centre instead of suburban shopping centres. Instead of figuring out why people are drawn to shopping centres so that they can compete on a similar playing field, they decide to take the lazy route and try to penalise their competition. It stinks of arrogance and backward thinking from people who frankly are not good enough for the job they are in.

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I was in Ikea, TGI Fridays, Hamleys and Forever 21 so when they decide to build those locally then.........

I wasn't having a pot at you, just in general I think people should shop locally as much as they can.

bazz26 wrote: »

The council want to entice people into the city centre instead of suburban shopping centres. Instead of figuring out why people are drawn to shopping centres so that they can compete on a similar playing field, they decide to take the lazy route and try to penalise their competition. It stinks of arrogance and backward thinking from people who frankly are not good enough for the job they are in.

I agree fully with you. However, if I were shopping locally, it would be for the retailers so people here may keep their jobs, certainly not for the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bazz26 wrote: »

Very well said Bazz.....

- Limwreck City Council are an embarrassing pack of money-grabbing, incompetent rabble, instead of improving their useless game they want to cheat and sabotage the successful opposition at theirs.

Any more interesting voting pacts happening in Gotham City City Hall these days? We going to get one of the Dundons as our next Mayor or anything????? Who owes favours to who at this stage of 2012.....

W@n*er$!

Advertisement