Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Roads authority to fix 50 worst bends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

road_high wrote: »
    That's fantastic news. Was nothing in the local media, about time!

No song and dance about this at all... and hard to find anything on it online regarding the plans etc...

I am interested to find out when it hopes to be open and how they intend tying in the old road with the new... it seems there will be an tight tie in with the old N77 on the Ballyragget end before the Avonmore factory...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

That's fantastic news. Was nothing in the local media, about time!
    Danno wrote: »
    No song and dance about this at all... and hard to find anything on it online regarding the plans etc...

I am interested to find out when it hopes to be open and how they intend tying in the old road with the new... it seems there will be an tight tie in with the old N77 on the Ballyragget end before the Avonmore factory...

A google bring up tenders for the advanced archaeology for this scheme and it went out to tender in March 2013 so I'd say this is what the current works are. I have a pdf on my machine from the inital investigations last December (it was part of the tender docs I found) which has maps in it showing a very high level indication of the route and also some detailed maps which show the route it is taking cris-crossing the current N77. If either of you want a copy just drop me a pm and I'll forward it. I dont know how to link to it as it's in a zip on the etenders site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Will it be wide S2 with a hard shoulder, I wonder? I hope, it's a very busy road. Great to see it getting under way, been talked about for decades and FF promised it multiple times. We all know what their promises were worth...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wide S2 is effectively a dead standard so I doubt it, wide carriageways with hard strips is likely.

Will it be wide S2 with a hard shoulder, I wonder? I hope, it's a very busy road. Great to see it getting under way, been talked about for decades and FF promised it multiple times. We all know what their promises were worth...

I dont know if the final design has been completed yet. This is just the archaeology bit so the design might be influenced by what this turns up. I cant seem to find very much details on the scheme. An email to the Tramore Roads design office might clear it up.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Wide S2 is effectively a dead standard so I doubt it, wide carriageways with hard strips is likely.

What are hard strips? Just hardcore? The N52 Belvedere is wide S2, no?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What are hard strips? Just hardcore? The N52 Belvedere is wide S2, no?

Metre or so of asphalt behind the line. Don't think so - no Streetview to check but I drove it directly after opening to grab a track for OSM.

Well if it's the same standard as that road I'd be very happy. It's how all Irish single lane carriageways should be.

Good progress on this at the moment, the hedgerow on the east side near the Laois border is all removed now, giving good views across the northern end of the site works.

Good progress on this at the moment, the hedgerow on the east side near the Laois border is all removed now, giving good views across the northern end of the site works.

Wonder when it will get finished? Surely take a years work anyhow, maybe next autumn. I lost count of how times/elections FF annouced this and nothing happened, go figure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What is the exact location of this N77 work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

They seem to be doing some work on some of the series of S bends between Tipperary and Cahir on the N24. Specifically at the moment they are setting up on the series just outside Cahir. Hard to see what they can do as there are houses built on the bends and to fix that stretch properly they will have to be knocked or by-passed which isn't going to happen. Looks like they might just be putting up more barriers to keep cars from going off the road when they skid (and probably replacing the existing ones which are fairly battered at this stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The N24 must be the most neglected road in Ireland. Especially considering it is an inter urban.

Will we ever see it upgraded to 2+2 ?

EDIT: M24 ? http://www.ocsc.ie/project-by-sectors/infrastructure-transport/road-rail/m24-motorway-carrick-on-suir-bypass-scheme/

The N24 must be the most neglected road in Ireland. Especially considering it is an inter urban.

EDIT: M24 ? http://www.ocsc.ie/project-by-sectors/infrastructure-transport/road-rail/m24-motorway-carrick-on-suir-bypass-scheme/

That consultant calls nearly everything larger Msomething, e.g. work on the N11 and N3 that are down as M.

EDIT: M24 ? http://www.ocsc.ie/project-by-sectors/infrastructure-transport/road-rail/m24-motorway-carrick-on-suir-bypass-scheme/[/QUOTE]

The N24 is very low on the current list of projects if it is even still on the list.

spacetweek wrote: »
    What is the exact location of this N77 work?

Right on the Laois/KK border between Durrow and Ballyragget (roughly half way). Where the road is all narrow, humpy and dangerous- they're bypassing that section of dodge road.

I hope so. Tipp CoCo seem to be great for the ole fancy plans but action is a different story...perhaps it's because of the lack of a Senior minster there for years, it's a deep shame for a strategically important route like this.
    Drove from KK to Cahir today and had forgotten what an absolute pain this road is as I'd usually go down the M8. Clonmel is an absolute joke with all it's roundabouts and retail destroying what was supposed to be a "bypass".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

touts wrote: »

EDIT: M24 ? http://www.ocsc.ie/project-by-sectors/infrastructure-transport/road-rail/m24-motorway-carrick-on-suir-bypass-scheme/[/QUOTE]

The N24 is very low on the current list of projects if it is even still on the list.

Its a 3rd world road, I hate driving it, As for the roundabout's in Clonmel, That road is an Inner Relief Road that just doubles as a By Pass, Those roundabouts are a blessing as opposed to traffic lights...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Right on the Laois/KK border between Durrow and Ballyragget (roughly half way). Where the road is all narrow, humpy and dangerous- they're bypassing that section of dodge road.
    Thanks a lot (location). Do you know how long the scheme is?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Thanks a lot (location). Do you know how long the scheme is?

I'm not exactly sure but I'd say approx 2km, small scheme big safety pay-off.
    I hope they build wide, straight with ample overtaking oppurtunity. It's avery busy route.

• Advertisement

Update on the works on the N24 that started back in December. Nothing has happened. Over the course of a couple of days they stuck up a few temporary warning signs (which are mainly blown over in the ditch now). They lined the road with those temporary red and white plastic barriers you see at construction sites (a few appear to have already been damaged by cars sliding into them and through them into the ditch). And that's it. Nothing since. No doubt there is a report somewhere saying they erected new signs and barriers and that appears to be all they are doing.

N77 work has pretty much stopped with nothing done since before Christmas.

I hope this is not another old N8 outside Abbeyleix (north) job. :o

N77 work has pretty much stopped with nothing done since before Christmas.

I hope this is not another old N8 outside Abbeyleix (north) job. :o

There was a snippet on the KK People a while back. Something along the lines of "100k has been allocated to this scheme for 2014. This will not allow the scheme progress to construction".
    So they only had the money to do the site clearance but nothing to allow it be built. Which is infuriating as I've seen many small schemes around the country progress seamlessly. Pennywise, poundfoolish springs to mind...

I've mentioned it a few times on here and the other thread mentioning this scheme that they only ever put the archaeology investigation out to tender. I linked to the documents somewhere iirc. If they dont get "extra" funding above their normal yearly budget they will probably not progress much further. This will be painfully slow if they keep the construction part in-house.

The N77 works are back on quite a few weeks now with what looks like road foundations being laid. Quite a bit of activity at the southern end near Glanbia, and a lone digger coming up over the hill to the Durrow end also.

The grass verges have been removed south of the tie in for around 200 or 300m which is welcome, they should have continued these right out to Glanbia IMHO to make it a good wide road with hard margins from Ballyragget to the LS-KK border.

Meanwhile in Ballyragget, a long overdue scheme of works to revitalise the town centre is going on. A nice job in the square, however they tarred the footpaths out the Durrow road and it looks awful. I have a pet hate for tarred footpaths anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the works on the N77 are actually in 2 parts.
    N77 Ballynaslee Road Realignment Scheme
    The Ballynaslee Road Realignment scheme provides for a 2km realignment of the N77 national secondary route and includes an at-grade priority junction allowing access to and from the 'bypassed' section of the existing N77. <snip>
    The contract awarding this project was signed on the 2nd of December 2014. Works are expected to commence before Christmas, with an anticipated opening date for the new section of road in autumn 2015.
    The overall cost to deliver this project from planning and design stage through to construction completion is estimated at just over €5.8 million.

N77 Ballyragget Pavement Improvement Scheme
    The scheme comprises of a structural improvement of the existing N77 National Secondary Road in Ballyragget Village, from Castle Street Bridge, for a distance of 900 metres, through the Square extending out to the River Nore bridge along Bridge Street. In addition, traffic calming measures will be introduced <snip>
    An overall grant allocation of €550,000 has been secured from the National Roads Authority for the design construction, supervision and delivery of this project.
    This project when complete will further compliment the enhancement works that were completed in the Square earlier this year.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/Good-News-for-Ballyragget.37850.shortcut.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone got the full list of schemes archived? Link is dead.

Any of them N86 or is that all part of the N86 improvement scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

marno21 wrote: »
    Anyone got the full list of schemes archived? Link is dead.

Any of them N86 or is that all part of the N86 improvement scheme?
    not sure what youre asking.
    anyhow, here is the status : http://www.nra.ie/mapping/index.xml
    which says :
    SCHEME - N86 Tralee to An Daingean
    STATUS - Planning

The proposed scheme runs from the eastern side of An Daingean to the junction of the N86 and R560 routes east of Camp. The scheme is proposed as a pilot scheme for the new Type 3 Single Carriageway road type with Cycle and Pedestrian facilities along its length. It is expected that the scheme will be primarily online widening with some isolated off line sections where the existing alignment is particularly poor. This project has been funded by the Irish Government under the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry post was as clear as mud. First line was asking if the list of 50 bends had been archived by anyone as the link posted previously is dead. Second question was unrelated and asking if any of them were bends on the N86 to be fixed seeing as the current N86 improvement scheme is facing trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

http://connachttribune.ie/e8-5m-road-project-may-be-scuppered-on-principle908/

Would be an awful shame if the funding was pulled over a railway bridge that may not be used for 20 years if ever.

Advertisement