Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking and urinating alot

Options
  • 14-11-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm 17 and doing the Leaving Cert and haven't been to school since before the midterm. Since last Wednesday I've been unnaturally thirsty. I drink around 10-15 liters of water a day and then peeing every 15-30 mins. I haven't had a decent night sleep for the past week. Now and again i get dizzy spells and feel faint. It is getting really annoying and i just wanna find out whats happening so i can get it sorted out.:(

I was thinking it might be diabetes because my dad has type one and my mom's sister and dad have type two, so its in the family but i haven't been losing any weight so does that rule out diabetes or do some people not experience that symptom.:confused:

Any help would really be appreciated :o
    xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Hi Rachel, no medical advice is permitted here so best to check with you gp asap!

I was eleven when I was diagnosed with type one diabetes and thirst was the main symptom. I was so thirsty I would have drank puddle water, this is despite throwing pints of water and milk down my throat every 15 minutes. My parents where worried so my dad (also type one) checked my blood sugar levels with his blood glucose monitor. It was 13 so we knew straight away that I needed to go to hospital and our family gp arranged a letter for us to take into a and e.

I hope your just a bit dehydrated and feel better soon but please get a professional opinion asap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

why in the name of god are you drinking 10-15 litres of water a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

why in the name of god are you drinking 10-15 litres of water a day?

She said she has been "unnaturally thirsty"

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Rachel, I think you should see your doctor immediately. Based on what you have said, I am not really that worried about you urinating so often. I think its due to your drinking so much water. Bit I am worried about your thirst though. It could be nothing but I seriously would get an opinion of a doctor. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Can you get your dad to check your bloods with his monitor?? I was diagnosed with Type 1 7 years ago and would drink anything in sight. If your bloods are 12+ go to the doctor immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Go see a doctor

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Go see a doctor as soon as possible. Don't diagnose yourself with things like this.
    Are you sure you meant 10-15 litres?? That's like 40 to 60 glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RachelO167

I have been to the doctor twice. The first time i went i was just a little bit thirsty and going to the toilet a bit more often than normal. He tested my sugar levels and i was 5.6 eventhought i hadn't eaten anything since 6 o' clock the day before. After this the thirst has increased alot more aswell as going to the toilet and the dizzy spells. I went back again yesterday and he never check my sugar levels, he just took some blood and a urine sample and sent them off to get tested. So now i'm stuck at home until this is sorted out.

Unfortunately my dad is in Spain at the moment and he has all his monitors with him but he is home tomorrow night so i can check my sugar levels then.

Yes i did mean 10-15 liters. I'm drinking out of bottles because its pointless getting glasses of water if i'm gonna be drinking the bottle anyways.

Eventhough i'm not losing weight could i still have diabetes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nobody here can suggest a diagnosis but what we can offer is the fact that that's completely abnormal....and worth visiting your doctor over. Someone who's constantly thirsty despite drinking that incredulous volume of water needs a professional opinion. I think that's about as good as the advice can get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Could be anything from dehydration to diabetes to pregnancy - or nothing. You need to check with your GP, no web-based diagnosis will be safe or sufficient to rely on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Rachel, get back in contact with your doctor.

Seeking medical advice from a lot of anonymous people on the internet is never a good idea, and is expressly forbidden by the Boards T&C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement