Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathletes should train as triathletes NOT swimmers!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Oryx wrote: »
    Slower arm turnover is better I presume? Cos thats what I get told. Its more efficient and less tiring.

If this is a stupid question, kick me now.

read the big book you just got ;-) and report back next year ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Slower arm turnover is better I presume? Cos thats what I get told. Its more efficient and less tiring.

If this is a stupid question, kick me now.

I think for me he meant I should increase my rate of turnover. Everyone has their own style I guess but my understanding was that a faster turnover is better for OW swimming, while a longer stroke is more efficient in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

studies do show that open water swimmer (open water no wetsuit) that win world titles have an turnover that is about 3- 5 strokes per min higher than pool world champs(in this case left entires more per minute) on average

anyway again their is 100 different ways to make a world champ.
    interested wrote: »
    Thats one of the best questions in a while ;)
    Outside of triathlon there's a big move by a lot of coaches to look at this in terms of water movement by a swimmer.

imho, its all about finishing the stroke at the backend each and every time. Increasing the stroke rate to go faster can mean that some people shorten the stroke. Over 50 or 100 metres that might be okay (not ideal in my head but if we're talking the pointy end of 50/100 f/s swimmers then it is a big deal) ... over longer distances - not so much.

Appreciate the question wasn't directed at me and at PK so ... apologies. Just something Ive been looking at myself recently. For me I've seen strange things or an entirely different feel when in an empty or quiet pool because the water feels very different. But it could be all just my imagination. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

peter kern wrote: »
    read the big book you just got ;-) and report back next year ;-)
    Will take about a year, alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

d4r3n wrote: »
    This is an interesting one, no kicking, not overly concerned about technique (mentions it only for short course) and has mentioned plenty of times previous on twitter how swimming comes down purely to strength endurance.

That is a very interesting article alright.

I would agree with a lot of it. Many triathletes think there is some magic formula to swimming and if they could just change one simple thing on their stroke then they will be world beaters. It doesn't work like that. Technique is important but there is also a huge amount of hard conditioning work needed to improve. Most people are just not willing / not able to put in the hard work that is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When I was swimming this morning the swim club were using the lanes alongside ours, these are all teens who have been swimming since childhood. As I was doing a side kicking drill, a swim club chap swam past me so I had an opportunity to watch his technique. He hardly kicked at all, but when he did it was a deep kick. His arm stroke had a very pronounced catch, but other than that it all looked relaxed and effortless. He just seemed to glide without doing much, and yet he was fairly moving on. My conclusion was that nothing beats years and years of working at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

When I was swimming this morning the swim club were using the lanes alongside ours, these are all teens who have been swimming since childhood. As I was doing a side kicking drill, a swim club chap swam past me so I had an opportunity to watch his technique. He hardly kicked at all, but when he did it was a deep kick. His arm stroke had a very pronounced catch, but other than that it all looked relaxed and effortless. He just seemed to glide without doing much, and yet he was fairly moving on. My conclusion was that nothing beats years and years of working at it. :)

Interesting. I try to improve my stroke by watching the swimmers who are both moving fast and have a good stroke. The lead guy in our lane (sub 20 min 1.5k guy) looks the same: 2 beat powerful kick and a very pronounced catch. I guess the catch looks so pronounced because his grab of the water is solid and he levers his body passed that point. The catch is the fulcrum and the part the moves least. Most people are trying to move the water rather than moving themselves past the catch. Looks effortless alright but he told me himself that he is working damn hard. Its just all in the water while we waste effort in most elements of our stroke :rolleyes:

Advertisement