Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November Photowalk

Options
  • 13-11-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Wednesday 28th of this (November) month?

Was thinking along the coast a little at Clontarf and over the timber causeway to Bull Island. Its only about 1.5Km, so not a very long walk. But that means maybe time for a pint after. Meet up about 7:30. Nod your consent with a juicy reply below.

94BBE2DA158F4BF087B8CE38A8039674-0000314448-0003072545-00800L-1633CB38FE214F278F76B27EF23C3828.jpg
    There is a pedestrian pathway along the waters edge, but google maps insists on marking the route as along the road. Which it won't be.

Everybody welcome, regardless of experience or equipment. Tripod would be de rigueur though, what with our dark evenings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

is there a place to park the car there? if so, count me in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Car park is located right at the start point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

trooney wrote: »
    Car park is located right at the start point :)

grand job! hope it'll still be there when we get back :o:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Loads of parking around.
    I was down there last night and tonight. It's always a nice stroll. I'm in.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cracker, in too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

id love to join in but cant do evenings, will look forward to seeing the pics. :)

wont it be really dark down there at that time of night tho??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

If I pick ip a tripod, then yes :)

wont it be really dark down there at that time of night tho??

Plenty of street lighting about for some atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maxie

I'm in, looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Should be able to make this one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I'd be interested in a daytime one, but I'd feel a bit limited by my equipment at night. Any Canon below the professional models seems to be allergic to high iso...

I'm still using a 350D that has a max ISO of 1600 and at that it's so noisey as to be practically usless but I can still get shots around the seafront walk.
    Stick the camera on a tripod and use longer exposures to keep the ISO down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Its a lovely spot during the day and at sunset/sunrise (I walk there most evenings with the dogs, from the car park down to the statue at the end of the Bull Wall and back - a round trip of 4.7Km).

But at night time some of the best photo ops of the area are lost - the pigeon house can get a little lost against the brighter lights in the harbour.
    The birds are asleep etc.

However there are some lovely Art Deco bathing shelters a little further down once you have crossed the wooden bridge. And there are some art deco shelters along the pathway with some nice streetlighting. And just behind the car park there is a slipway into the water, used by the local yacht club.

From the car park (its across the road from Clontarf Bus Depot) to the Bull Wall Cottages just over the wooden bridge is almost exactly a kilometre. Once you turn off the main road heading for the wooden bridge it is very dark - little or no street lighting. But it is very safe. I have been walking there in the winter for years without any problems.

For those who can get there earlier, you can get some good sunset shots from the wooden bridge - the birds often fly over the bridge at sunset, heading for Bull Island. Sunset is at 4.12 on the 28th.

I hope I can join you all on the 28th.

Bring along some decent torches for a bit of light painting. Or, if anybody has the required ingredients, might be a good location for a bit of steel wool burning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Is this just for boardsies? Im in anyway, but the missus said she'd like to go too.

Its open to anybody who wants to tag along, without restriction of any sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

Im in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

trooney wrote: »
    Its open to anybody who wants to tag along, without restriction of any sort.

Good stuff, so count me in +1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I think I might give it a go. But my fine old D70s will struggle in the dark! On a brighter note (see what I did there :D ) I've a nice new (to me!) 28-75 f2.8 Tamron if any boardsies fancy getting their faces in shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'm in!
    Just try to find my way there via Dublin bus now!

• Advertisement

For any bus users - the 130 from Lower Abbey St will get you where you want to go. get off at Conquer Hill Road. Getting back may be easier as there may be people willing to drop you into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

i should be there. if i can work it around swimming/diving

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

andy_g wrote: »
    i should be there. if i can work it around swimming/diving

Put camera in waterproof bag. Dive into sea. Swim to Bull Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Put camera in waterproof bag. Dive into sea. Swim to Bull Island.

Me arriving in full dive gear out of the water is a photo op in its self :D

If i had enough dry bags for all my kit happy days

Right, we'll be expecting a show so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What kind of show? I thought we just meet for a laugh?!

Wrap up warm, it's gonna be chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭westdublin

Will see you all there tomorrow would any of you kind folk have a lend of a tripod as a friend will be tagging along and they dont have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

westdublin wrote: »
    Will see you all there tomorrow would any of you kind folk have a lend of a tripod as a friend will be tagging along and they dont have one.

I have a spare one, not the fanciest of tripods Aldi's special I think if of any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭westdublin

Yeah Phil that would be perfect if you dont mind.

Advertisement