Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify launches today

Options
  • 13-11-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a heads up if ye haven't seen ... Spotify has launched today in Ireland.
    This is a game changer once people realise how good these services are.
    Will have both a serious affect on both pirating and cd sales/itunes sales.

Jim carroll's blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's a wonderful service - I've been using it for several months as I was able to signup overseas and then pay via a friend ..

We covered it a bit here http://technology.ie/spotify-finally-available-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi Folks,

Could some kind soul tell me how to create a Spotify account without using Facebook? I don't have a FB account, and I'm not signing up to it.

Spotify says you can create an account directly with them, but I can't find out how to do this.....

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

blindsider wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Could some kind soul tell me how to create a Spotify account without using Facebook? I don't have a FB account, and I'm not signing up to it.

Spotify says you can create an account directly with them, but I can't find out how to do this.....

Thanks!

You can create a spotify account without Facebook here: http://www.spotify.com/ie/get-spotify/open/

Thanks Jeff - I've tried that and I get to here:

open

https://www.spotify.com/ie/signup/open/

But there's nothing to 'click' on to open a Spotify Account......

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Good news. You can create an account using just your email address here https://www.spotify.com/ie/signup/open/

edit: I should really refresh threads..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Thanks Jeff - I've tried that and I get to here:

open

https://www.spotify.com/ie/signup/open/

But there's nothing to 'click' on to open a Spotify Account......

Any ideas?

It's not that clear is it?

Try here and then click on the Sign Up For An Account Here link. My connection is very slow at the minute so it's not loading fully but that should work.

None of those work folks.

I've had a look around the web, and realise that this is a bigger issue than I first thought.

Spotify don't want you w/o a FB account - I'll just have to cope without them so.

I really dislike this insidious "By hook or by crook, you will get a FB account!"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've signed up without facebook, it was rough, i had to go to https://www.spotify.com/ie/signup/plain/?promo=1 on my iPhone with no wifi turned on and the "create an account using email" link was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It's cause facebook own spotify

• Advertisement

Here's a way that you could do it:

1. Set up a new Yahoo account with a made up name.
    2. Open a Facebook account with that made up name through that Yahoo account.
    3. Open Spotify account through that Facebook account.
    4. Use Spotify
    5. Never look at either the Yahoo account or Facebook account again

Jeff - thanks again for all the input - much appreciated.

I have to say, i'm going to give spotify a miss. I don't trust them. any company that insists on this kind of interference etc is not getting my time, effort or money.

I know S is a free service in basic form, but they get money from adverts as well as their premium services.

Nope - I don''t like/trust Facebook - too much info - not enough control. If spotify and FB are linked, then I'll do without.

Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

jh79 wrote: »

got it set set up in a few minutes using the link above.

It uses a proxy to register through the German spotify site which has a set up an account using email option. You can then change the contry back to ireland in the preference tab.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Spotify is wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

About time! I was sure it would never officially launch here with the IMRO and other legal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I've used spotify since they were a invite-only service back in 2008.

I managed to get my Irish payment details in for premium before they started checking the credit card address details against AVS. Everything kept going grand even when they introduced all the country checks. Which was great.... until my card expired.

Been buying gift codes through a broker since for €12/month. I'm paid up until May 19th on a UK gift code. The music selection varies by country so I may register a new account and compare to make sure most of the stuff I listen to is available on an Irish account before rocking the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Could herself use this at home on the PC while I'm using the same account on my phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Really impressed with the Sound Quality..Pretty blown away actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

None of those work folks.

I've had a look around the web, and realise that this is a bigger issue than I first thought.

Spotify don't want you w/o a FB account - I'll just have to cope without them so.

I really dislike this insidious "By hook or by crook, you will get a FB account!"

Go here: https://www.spotify.com/ie/signup/open/
    Under the green box across the middle of the page you can "create an account using your email address". It works fine without Facebook.
    afatbollix wrote:
    It's cause facebook own spotify

No they don't.

long_b wrote: »
    Could herself use this at home on the PC while I'm using the same account on my phone ?

As long as you are only listening to offline playlists on the phone and have stay offline toggled in settings. Otherwise it's a bit like fighting over the remote as it will pause on one device when another starts playing.

Spotify have been rumored to be trialing Family pricing since April though. Rdio offers family pricing but lack spotify's library, local library integration and native Linux client.

• Advertisement

Just checked a couple of artists on my UK account vs. an Irish one I set up to test with.
    It's not actually cut down as bad as the american's spotify library.

Albums available on Spotify UK but not on Spotify Ireland:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness
    Katie Melua - Piece by Piece
    VAST - Visual Audio Sensory Theatre
    Gramatik - Beatz & Pieces Vol. 1
    Foster the People - Remix EP
    Explosions In the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Any Avicii Album (Singles are there though)
    Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack
    Some of The Pogues stuff

Artists available on Spotify UK but not on Spotify Ireland (hint... mostly Irish artists! for shame lads...):

Van Morrison (couple of unpopular tracks off compilations)
    Cara Dillon (couple of unpopular tracks off compilations)
    Flook
    Lunasa
    Craic Haus
    Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

This looks great. And it looks that there is plenty of music in there, even brand new releases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yeah it's pretty cool so far. It has a nice selection of stuff, including new releases. I even tried searching for some of the most obscure stuff I could think of and it threw me up some results. The sound quality is pretty good and Last.fm scrobbling works very well too. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

You can create a spotify account without Facebook here: http://www.spotify.com/ie/get-spotify/open/

No Facebook here. ^ worked for me.

I signed up for the free version an hour ago - poorer quality sound and ads promised . So far, Seems pretty, pretty, excellent: no ads and sound is good enough too.

Does this stuff kick in after a time/with newer albums or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Those that use spotify speak highly of it, will be a good new way to listen to music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Everyone's excited about Spotify, but how is it better than streaming services that have been in Ireland for a while already, like Deezer?

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Everyone's excited about Spotify, but how is it better than streaming services that have been in Ireland for a while already, like Deezer?

Bigger catalogue of music, better interface, it's green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

lordgoat wrote: »
    Bigger catalogue of music, better interface, it's green.

The music libraries seem about the same to me - they each have stuff which the other lacks, which is annoying, and which interface is better is just personal preference really.

cros13 wrote: »
    Just checked a couple of artists on my UK account vs. an Irish one I set up to test with.
    It's not actually cut down as bad as the american's spotify library.

Albums available on Spotify UK but not on Spotify Ireland:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness
    Katie Melua - Piece by Piece
    VAST - Visual Audio Sensory Theatre
    Gramatik - Beatz & Pieces Vol. 1
    Foster the People - Remix EP
    Explosions In the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Any Avicii Album (Singles are there though)
    Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack
    Some of The Pogues stuff

Artists available on Spotify UK but not on Spotify Ireland (hint... mostly Irish artists! for shame lads...):

Van Morrison (couple of unpopular tracks off compilations)
    Cara Dillon (couple of unpopular tracks off compilations)
    Flook
    Lunasa
    Craic Haus
    Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Pumpkins (meloncollie), Explosions and Van Morrison are all there now. Didn't have a look for the rest.

• Advertisement

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    The music libraries seem about the same to me - they each have stuff which the other lacks, which is annoying, and which interface is better is just personal preference really.

massive difference in catalogs for me.

Advertisement